6'7 Kings prospect Brian Boyle is...

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Better to turn a prospect forward into a defenseman than vice versa, I would say...

yeah I would agree. Its not like they are moving a guy who isnt familiar with the position at all. Now he just needs to work at it. He is a good skater. but his positioning and earning how to use his size to his advantage for starters definitely need some work.
I think no matter what they planned on doing with him he was going to need some time to adjust to the pro game. This isnt Boston College anymore.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Isn't that what happened to Brent Burns? Started off as a forward in Minnesota before making the complete transition to defense.

BTW, Wendel Clark was a defenseman his entire junior career, until the Leafs experimented him at LW. I think that worked out pretty well for Wendel and the Leafs.

Boyle's coach at BC, Jerry York, also seems to think that Boyle is better as a defenseman. He seems to have more potential at that position than he does at forward.

Burns actually started in juniors as a d-man and then was moved to forward while still in juniors (and before being drafted). And then sort of flip-flopped a bit in the AHL/NHL between the two.

kingsfan25

Jul 25, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Despite the fact that he's got the "project" label, Boyle really has progressed well as a prospect; there haven't been any sizable blips in his development up to this point so I think it's premature to start labelling him as a bust. He's now at a critical point in that development: making the jump from college to pro hockey. I'm sure a year in Manchester will help us to get a better read on his potential; moreover, I think we should reserve any damning judgement at least until that year is complete, because, other than the fact that he was an off-the-board pick, he's done nothing to indicate that he's not going to pan out to at least some degree.

I will say that I'm wary of the decision to move him to defense (if such a decision has, indeed, been made); the guy was drafted and has developed up to this point as a forward. Switching his position at this point in his career just seems kind of risky. However, I'm sure management wouldn't do such a thing unless they had thoroughly assessed his game, spoken with him about it and were confident that he could handle playing D.

BritSabre

Feb 10, 2006
Reading, UK
That's a bit disappointing. One thing that made me like this guy was his size as a forward. A 6'7" Defenceman is very big, but a 6'7" forward is enormous!! Even projecting as a third line forward, I'd prefer to see him there than a 3rd pairing defenceman. I can't really say much about his talent having never seen him play though...

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
I do remember screaming at my television on draft day before the picked was announced - NOT BOYLE! NOT BOYLE! Four years later, my worst fears are being realized even as Corey Perry (who was the obvious choice) has a Stanley Cup ring.

How exactly was he the obvious choice? As far as him having a SC ring , yeah he contributed but its not like he led that team to the Cup by himself. Thats a solid all around team not Perry and a bunch of plugs. Give him the time to play in the NHL before saying Perry was the obvious choice.

fuzzerson

¡Ãndele!
Jul 23, 2005
Highly touted forward prospects converting to defense rarely turn out good.

I wouldn't expect Boyle to be anything more than a bottom pairing d-man, even if he did make it to the NHL.

Daryl Sydor..

BTW on the PP he will be firmly planted in front of the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->