Prospect Info: #64 Brandon Hickey

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
While I am not a fan of the Hunter Smith pick, you are being way too hard on the McDonald pick.

I certainly hope that's the case. I understand he's doing pretty well compared to other QMJHLgoalies, but I've still got my doubts at the moment, relative to how high he was taken.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
We may have picked McDonald early, but I think it was because other GM's wanted him. That's just my opinion. Once McDonald was drafted, 4 other goalies were drafted in the second round (correct me if I am wrong).

As for the Smith pick, you can't teach size. I thought it was a great pick because Smith is almost a PPG player in the OHL, he's made excellent progress this year.
Who cares why McDonald was taken? Doesn't mean he was a bad pick. He has been great this year in the Q. I think he has as much potential as Gillies does, if not more.

Smith IMO was a bad pick, I don't care how big he is. I am not an advocate of drafting a 19 year old in the top 3 rounds. He can't be looked at the same as other picks because he is a year older. The fact he is in his last year in the OHL (unless he goes back as an overager) and is almost a point per game is not all that impressive. Truth be told I would have been happier if we had taken Glover (or Hickey and Glover in the 3rd round)

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
I didn't like The Hunter pick either. Seemed like instead of picking the best guys available we got him just cause of size and grit and stuff. Flashbacks to picks like Chucko for me

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The Hunter Smith pick reminds me of the Kanzig pick. Not a fan of taking goalies so high in the draft. Goalies generally need a lot of time to develop so we'll see how it goes.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I like both the Kanzig and Hunter Smith picks. To me they are home run swings. These guys could be absolute busts, however, both have improved each season. Tall guys ALWAYS take longer to develop but their ceiling is so high.
One problem with our team right now, is that we get pushed around by the bigger teams a little bit (Anaheim, St. Louis, LA). If you watched the rookie tournament it was no secret that the other teams were completely intimidated by the group of Ferland, Kanzig and Smith.

I also like the McDonald pick. I watched the U17s and Canada didn't send a very strong team. I thought McDonald would be a first rounder for sure after that tourney. I was never a fan of Thatcher Demko (although he played well at this WJCs). I also liked McDonald at rookie camp, even though most people didn't. He looked further along then Gillies did at the same age. And I'm confident next year he will be Canada's goalie at the WJC.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
The Hunter Smith pick reminds me of the Kanzig pick. Not a fan of taking goalies so high in the draft. Goalies generally need a lot of time to develop so we'll see how it goes.

I kinda agree with this. Because they take so long to develop, they are somewhat more unpredictable in terms of how they will turn out. I think the chances of a goaltender drafted in the later rounds developing into a better goalie than those drafted in the earlier rounds are fairly high.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
I love the McDonald pick. Need more goalie prospects in the system, they are pretty unpredictable. Never know who will pan out.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The only thing Smith and Kanzig have in common is size and an ability to fight. Kanzig is a top pairing defender in the WHL while Hunter is a 2nd line forward in the OHL and they are the same age.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I liked and still like the Smith pick. You need size to be competitive in the Western conference. It's pretty rare that picks outside of the 1st and 2nd round have the potential to become topline players. I don't think anyone here expects Smith to be a top line, or even a top 6 player, if he pans out as a 3rd line RW that makes our team that much harder to play against, then it's a good pick. His role is to crash the boards hard, wear down the opposing dman, be a front of the net presence, provide some offence and drop the gloves from time to time. Think like a bigger and meaner, more effective David Jones. Also, we had no one like him in our system so I was 100% on board with the pick.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
And I like how in McDonald we now have a talented goalie prospect from the juniors route. In Ortio we have one from the overseas route, and in Gullies we have one from the college level. I just think that's really awesome

AfricanHerbsman

May 4, 2010
The only thing Smith and Kanzig have in common is size and an ability to fight. Kanzig is a top pairing defender in the WHL while Hunter is a 2nd line forward in the OHL and they are the same age.

if you think kanzig will have a better shot in the nhl, maybe watch him he could be the slowest player in the whole CHL. i see him as a career ahler with the odd call up like potter

Rogie21

Sep 10, 2005
FYI--BU's Hockey East Semifinal vs. New Hampshire on Friday is on NBCSN live (8 p.m. ET) and delayed on TSN2 at 11 p.m. ET. The championship game the next night (7 p.m.) is also on NBCSN and on TSN2 delayed (10 p.m.)

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I like both the Kanzig and Hunter Smith picks. To me they are home run swings. These guys could be absolute busts, however, both have improved each season. Tall guys ALWAYS take longer to develop but their ceiling is so high.
One problem with our team right now, is that we get pushed around by the bigger teams a little bit (Anaheim, St. Louis, LA). If you watched the rookie tournament it was no secret that the other teams were completely intimidated by the group of Ferland, Kanzig and Smith.

Couldn't agree more. Smith and Kanzig are more than just punching bags.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
This thread really got derailed.

Any updates/comments about Hickey's game tonight? I missed it.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
This thread really got derailed.

Any updates/comments about Hickey's game tonight? I missed it.

I was freakin' tired, so I didn't watch the 3rd period.

In the 1st period, I was not impressed. He took a stupid penalty (boarding) and then his partner I think made him cause a turnover for the opposing team to score the first goal.

In the 2nd period though he was a lot better. A lot of people say that he is like TJ, but I was seeing a lot of Kris Russell in him. He always is willing to block shots, defensively sound, and looked to be in the right position. As for offense, when he was in their zone, he did a decent job of controlling the puck and keeping it in the zone.

I probably didn't see his best game, he definitely still needs work. I like what I saw from him though.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Pretty much agree with FFF, I also didn't watch the 3rd either lol.

1st period he really seemed to be fighting things, and yeah he took a bad penalty but every player does that from time to time. He was pretty solid in the 2nd. I thought he skated really well, moves the puck quite good and I thought he controlled the play well from the point. I would love to see him play another game because I really liked some glimpses from his game. I didn't really see enough to make a good comparison though.

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
BU vs Yale today. Hickey had a nice 4on4 rush, burnt a few guys and took it to the net hard. Loves to join rush. Focal point of 2nd unit powerplay. Improved onetimer and positional play defensively (from start of year). Is fast enough to recover from pinches gone bad, but decisions were good this game. Noticing pattern of getting rid of the puck too soon in both ends of ice - could be more patient with puck although seems to be better on pp when not rushed.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad