Prospect Info: #64 Brandon Hickey

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
brandon_hickey_spruce_grove.jpg

Guys? He's a defenseman guys.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/brandon-hickey/

http://www.matchsticksandgasoline.c...calgary-flames-draft-brandon-hickey-goes-64th

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/player/brandon-hickey/21366/

Brandon Hickey was a big help to his Spruce Grove Saints team this season. The Boston University commit helped the Alberta Jr. A squad to a 42-10-3 record, plus a playoff championship. He’ll be head out east next season after doing a lot of research. Hickey also visited Michigan State, but ultimately loved Boston’s campus and facilities. The Terriers are in a bit of rebuild, but have an excellent freshman class coming in that also includes top 2015 prospect Jack Eichel and Jonathan MacLeod, who is also up with Hickey in 2014.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/nhl-draft-combine-ncaa-commits-make-their-mark/

http://www.firesidechat.ca/2014-previews/brandon-hickey/

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Sounds good enough I guess, although I know nothing about this kid beyond stats. Looks like a potential top 4 offensive guy? I wonder what happened to drafting Dougherty, Glover, Mayo, Thomas, Collins etc.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Sounds good enough I guess, although I know nothing about this kid beyond stats. Looks like a potential top 4 offensive guy? I wonder what happened to drafting Dougherty, Glover, Mayo, Thomas, Collins etc.

Nothing. One of you guys started this movement and the rest drank the cool-aid.

I've said all along, you can't put stock in these mocks, or these forum favourites... Because our scouts have put in the time, and will make the picks, not the arm-chair GMs of the league.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Defensemen are such a crap shoot when it comes to drafting. I like the pick and only time will tell if he was the right one.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
we have Ramage who's RH but long shot for NHL and Wideman who will probably be moved. Those are our RHD

So what? By the time Hickey has a shot at the NHL roster, who knows what other guys have been brought in?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Nothing. One of you guys started this movement and the rest drank the cool-aid.

I've said all along, you can't put stock in these mocks, or these forum favourites... Because our scouts have put in the time, and will make the picks, not the arm-chair GMs of the league.

That's so true.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
We picked up another solid D prospect in Hickey. Seems like a pretty conservative pick but hes got some great tools for a guy his size. Excellent skater, sounds like he has really good vision too. Sounds like quite a smart player to me. There were some guys still sitting there that were a little more interesting to me, but this is an alright pick.

Ill give it a B.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
I'll give this one a B-minus. I think out of everyone we drafted this year in round two through seven, he's got the best shot of making the NHL - even over McDonald because of how hard it can be to get in some playing time as a goaltender.

Still not nearly as good as the D-men we picked up in 2013, though. I fully expect Roy and Rafikov to make the NHL at some point.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Stolen from CP, but Hickey has been a big riser from the 2014 draft. according to Pronman.

Corey Pronman published his list of the biggest risers from the 2014 NHL Draft today and Calgary Flames 3rd rounder Brandon Hickey was named at the top of that list.

"Hickey has been one of the season's biggest risers in my eyes, playing at a very high level as an 18-year-old freshman in a tough conference. Hickey skates very well, has above-average puck skill, is very physical and has been effective on both special teams for BU. His reads could still use a little work -- as the quality of competition jump from the Junior-A level shows at times -- but overall, his talent level and intangibles stand out. Hickey has emerged as a player who will make the next top 100 drafted prospects list."

Here's the link if you have ESPN Insider.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/story...sing-stock-nhl

Man, I am loving our late round picks as of late.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Stolen from CP, but Hickey has been a big riser from the 2014 draft. according to Pronman.

I would like to see how he does next year; honestly.
He's got quite the BU team this year; and while he's played great, it'll be good to see how he does post Eichel and O'Connor.

I'm very happy with this pick; I was happy about it when we made it and he hasn't let me down yet. Hard to pick holes in this Flames scouting staff; they might find more magic in a 3rd+ rounder :handclap:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I would like to see how he does next year; honestly.
He's got quite the BU team this year; and while he's played great, it'll be good to see how he does post Eichel and O'Connor.

I'm very happy with this pick; I was happy about it when we made it and he hasn't let me down yet. Hard to pick holes in this Flames scouting staff; they might find more magic in a 3rd+ rounder :handclap:

Considering I've trusted the scouting staff, I was confident they made the right pick with Hickey, even if it looked there were better options for us.

Aug 21, 2014
Florida was apparently very interest in Hickey. They sent scouts twice to view him and he was injured both times..

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
While I am not a fan of the Hunter Smith pick, you are being way too hard on the McDonald pick.

We may have picked McDonald early, but I think it was because other GM's wanted him. That's just my opinion. Once McDonald was drafted, 4 other goalies were drafted in the second round (correct me if I am wrong).

As for the Smith pick, you can't teach size. I thought it was a great pick because Smith is almost a PPG player in the OHL, he's made excellent progress this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad