Prospect Info: 60th Overall, Albert Johansson, LD

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
He got 23 min a night in the playoffs. Hard for me to see him getting more playing time in the AHL than he would in the SHL.

Who was the last defenseman prospect we put on Grand Rapids and gave big minutes to? I have not liked how we have integrated our defensive prospects onto that team.
Seider played top 4 and Hronek played a lot of minutes, but I agree that Grand Rapids has struggled to develop quality dmen lately. I would argue Detroit hasn't had a ton of talent to develop down there so who knows if it was Grand Rapids fault, but I don't have a problem with Johansson developing in the SHL.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It's really not that hard. McIlrath, Lashoff, and Hicketts were under Red Wings contracts. Not re-signing them forces the hand.

Yeah, but they never do this. They always keep those kind of guys around. Sometimes to the detriment of keeping a spot open for upcoming prospects, IMO.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
He got 23 min a night in the playoffs. Hard for me to see him getting more playing time in the AHL than he would in the SHL.

Who was the last defenseman prospect we put on Grand Rapids and gave big minutes to? I have not liked how we have integrated our defensive prospects onto that team.

If Johansson is good enough to deserve big minutes in the AHL he won't be there long.

He's almost surely going to play in the AHL.

What's the advantage to putting it off?

Who are all the rookie defensemen who've joined Detroit straight from Europe in this century?

Dimitri Bykov, who was 25?

Reactions: Gniwder

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If Johansson is good enough to deserve big minutes in the AHL he won't be there long.

He's almost surely going to play in the AHL.

What's the advantage to putting it off?

Who are all the rookie defensemen who've joined Detroit straight from Europe in this century?

Dimitri Bykov, who was 25?
Well there's Lidstrom, lol.

But in general I agree with you, even Kronwall spent time in GR and he had 3 seasons in the SHL (SEL) after getting drafted. He'll wind up in GR sooner or later. He'll need to adjust to more physical play.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
what year for Sebrango's NHL debut?
I would guess 2023-24 debut.

21-22 OHL
22-23 AHL
23-24 Cup of coffee

I don't think he'll ever score a lot of points, but there's always a spot for a stay at home D. I really think he's the most NHL likely D after Seider. We'll know for sure when AJ and Sebrango play together in GR.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Well there's Lidstrom, lol.

But in general I agree with you, even Kronwall spent time in GR and he had 3 seasons in the SHL (SEL) after getting drafted. He'll wind up in GR sooner or later. He'll need to adjust to more physical play.
Kronwall might have had minimal time in GR if not for the NHL lockout.

+ development paths change and should always be individual for the player in question.

Personally I believe AHL and Grand Rapids is a terrible development path and think we should not force it upon players when there are better options.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Kronwall might have had minimal time in GR if not for the NHL lockout.

+ development paths change and should always be individual for the player in question.

Personally I believe AHL and Grand Rapids is a terrible development path and think we should not force it upon players when there are better options.

Yzerman was trained by guys that believe in the AHL, built his Tampa organization with an emphasis on that part of his developmental ladder especially early on. So my guess is Grand Rapids is going to be important to this team still. It also helps that they have billionaire AHL owners. In terms of minor league hockey teams we have one of the best possible scenarios with a partnership our NHL owners clearly control.

My problem currently in the AHL is the head coach, not a big fan. I would like to see Yzerman go to the junior level and pluck the right guy. I think he is good at evaluating coaches in terms of one of his strengths, so I would like to see something there over the next year in my opinion.

I think we owe the development of guys like Johansson that kind of coaching. It would be nice to honestly invest more at that level, we should have the resources as an organization to do that especially since you can actually probably get some help from the Van Andel and Davos families.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Yzerman was trained by guys that believe in the AHL, built his Tampa organization with an emphasis on that part of his developmental ladder especially early on. So my guess is Grand Rapids is going to be important to this team still. It also helps that they have billionaire AHL owners. In terms of minor league hockey teams we have one of the best possible scenarios with a partnership our NHL owners clearly control.

My problem currently in the AHL is the head coach, not a big fan. I would like to see Yzerman go to the junior level and pluck the right guy. I think he is good at evaluating coaches in terms of one of his strengths, so I would like to see something there over the next year in my opinion.
My problem with AHL level is that it's so clearly just a stepping stone. Players in europe, especially the best leagues like KHL/SHL can obviously have NHL ambitions but the focus is still on winning with the team. Players don't go up and down to NHL like yo-yos.
The travel also seems pretty bad. I would rather that prospects have more time for physical training and other things than a ton of travel hours per season.

AHL is important but I'm not a fan of rushing players there who are 18, 19, 20.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
My problem with AHL level is that it's so clearly just a stepping stone. Players in europe, especially the best leagues like KHL/SHL can obviously have NHL ambitions but the focus is still on winning with the team. Players don't go up and down to NHL like yo-yos.
The travel also seems pretty bad. I would rather that prospects have more time for physical training and other things than a ton of travel hours per season.

Well I have a different opinion on the league. I see it as the third best league in the world and the style of hockey played there is the most similar to the NHL. I am in favor of putting kids that can handle the physicality of the league there. We ultimately have the most control over them there in my opinion. We need to do a better job at that level organizationally though we have won with some young players there in the last decade. I think developing players at that level is important though and I don't buy that it cannot be done. If for instance Raymond starts down there we need to have him playing a big role. In that sense the developmental nature of the league can cause issues, but honestly they have the rules they do in place to foster an environment of good development. It is on your organization to produce that environment.

The only thing that worries me about Johansson is there are times he doesn't seem to cope with pressure and a forecheck. I think putting him in a league where he is pushed to make faster decisions might not be a poor decision at this point. I don't have a huge issue with him staying in the SHL either, but I can see benefits to putting him in the AHL for sure, if we want to put him in a position to be successful and are ready to give him PP minutes in GR I am fine with it.

Last edited:

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com

'' The travel also seems pretty bad. I would rather that prospects have more time for physical training and other things than a ton of travel hours per season.
AHL is important but I'm not a fan of rushing players there who are 18, 19, 20.''

TOTALLY AGREE P.D. : im all for the less travel and more off ice time to help them get more mature physically , getting them better prepared for the challenge of nhl . and way ide do it is keep them in europe longer , say 21 , but still do ahl before nhl . i dont see the need for rushing unless its contract reasons which i dont pay attention to . and if it is thats a real important issue that must be fixed . but the smart asses running nhl think they know everything and are extremely adverse to making adjustments .

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020

I think we owe the development of guys like Johansson that kind of coaching. It would be nice to honestly invest more at that level, we should have the resources as an organization to do that especially since you can actually probably get some help from the Van Andel and Davos families.

I've wondered for a while if Grand Rapids is more about serving their owners best interests or the best interests of the Detroit Red Wings. Are we providing our guys down there with all the tools, methods and training to succeed at the next level down there?

If we could somehow turn Grand Rapids into a development program like the Syracuse Crunch (Tampa's affiliate) then I'm all for utilizing Grand Rapids more but we're probably talking a 3 to 5 year project. Right now I don't know how I would evaluate Horcoff as director of player development but he's been around since 2016 so I think that's worth taking a look at especially when you compare him with the immediate results Kronwall seems to be getting in Sweden, and I do not like Coach Simon's system and utilization of players in Grand Rapids.

Ryan Martin, assistant GM in Detroit and GM of Grand Rapids should also be looked at quite a bit.
Ryan Martin at eliteprospects.com

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Ryan Martin is the General Manager of the Griffins.
The assistant GM of the Red Wings is the GM of the Griffins.

Let's not start spinning stories about how the Griffins aren't about development.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Ryan Martin is the General Manager of the Griffins.
The assistant GM of the Red Wings is the GM of the Griffins.

Let's not start spinning stories about how the Griffins aren't about development.

It's not spinning stories. The Griffins are independently owned and look to ice a winner every year. Do the Wings take a back seat to their owners whims?

Also look at Grand Rapids since 2011. It's produced a handful of top 6/top 4 guys in Bertuzzi, Tatar, Nyquist, Mantha, AA and Hronek but not much beyond. And those players as a core haven't done a whole lot of winning in the NHL. And Grand Rapids hasn't really produced many quality bottom 6ers in that timeframe either. I think it's perfectly fair to question whether or not Ryan Martin should be the guy to manage the Griffins for Detroit.

We need our farm system producing the Kucherovs, Palats, Johnsons, Cirellis, Killorns and Gourdes for the Red Wings to build around Raymond and Seider.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

I am opposed to NEEDLESSLY HOLDING BACK players who are ready for the next level.
And Johansson, after 2 full years in Sweden, should be ready.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the AHL as a development tool.
Ericsson learned there. Kronwall learned there.
Even guys like Kindl and Smith and Marchenko and Ouellet...they made good progress in the AHL (maybe not Kindl) before running into NHL coaches who refused to trust them.

Going up and down like a yo-yo can be the greatest motivational tool to improve.
Getting a 2-3 week taste of the first-class accommodation, getting the NHL per-diem, not to mention the NHL salary... plus the NHL coaching, the NHL practices, the training facilities, practice facilities, and everything else.

If we've got a shitty development coach in Grand Rapids, then Ryan Martin needs to fire him.
Martin is the GM of Grand Rapids and he can fire coaches and give them instructions.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
It's not spinning stories. The Griffins are independently owned and look to ice a winner every year. Do the Wings take a back seat to their owners whims?

Also look at Grand Rapids since 2011. It's produced a handful of top 6/top 4 guys in Bertuzzi, Tatar, Nyquist, Mantha, AA and Hronek but not much beyond. And those players as a core haven't done a whole lot of winning in the NHL. And Grand Rapids hasn't really produced many quality bottom 6ers in that timeframe either. I think it's perfectly fair to question whether or not Ryan Martin should be the guy to manage the Griffins for Detroit.

We need our farm system producing the Kucherovs, Palats, Johnsons, Cirellis, Killorns and Gourdes for the Red Wings to build around Raymond and Seider.

You can't produce Kucherovs unless you draft Kucherovs. (Kucherov played NA hockey in junior and then in the AHL before he was called up, by the way.)

You think Athanasiou or Mantha turn into gods if they come up through Sweden? Get real.

Johansson is going to come through the AHL either way, man.
He's not going to play all year in Sweden and jump into the NHL next year.

Why you're hung up on Pejorative Sluring his development is beyond me.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
You can't produce Kucherovs unless you draft Kucherovs. (Kucherov played NA hockey in junior and then in the AHL before he was called up, by the way.)

You think Athanasiou or Mantha turn into gods if they come up through Sweden? Get real.

Johansson is going to come through the AHL either way, man.
He's not going to play all year in Sweden and jump into the NHL next year.

Why you're hung up on Pejorative Sluring his development is beyond me.

Using the word Pejorative Sluring in its proper form is "pejorative slurring?"

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I am opposed to NEEDLESSLY HOLDING BACK players who are ready for the next level.

AHL is not next level. It's basicly same level as SHL.

There is something wrong.

The AHL realingment and increased bus travelling especially at Central Division. It has hurt Griffins most compared to Eastern AHL teams.

Players developing at Griffins are not getting as good rest after travel as other teams. Like, Syracuse is not that bad, and Yzerman didn't hesitate get guys there. But Grand Rapids is not Syracuse.

Not surprised Yzerman prefers European positions for development. Lot less travel and more rest. Better development after same training.

Also, if there's 1st defencemen positions available around the world for our prospects and Griffins has only 1 spot for 1st defencemen, it's a no-brainer to spread them on different teams at same level of leagues.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Ericsson learned there. Kronwall learned there.
Even guys like Kindl and Smith and Marchenko and Ouellet...they made good progress in the AHL (maybe not Kindl) before running into NHL coaches who refused to trust them.

Going up and down like a yo-yo can be the greatest motivational tool to improve.
Getting a 2-3 week taste of the first-class accommodation, getting the NHL per-diem, not to mention the NHL salary... plus the NHL coaching, the NHL practices, the training facilities, practice facilities, and everything else.

If we've got a shitty development coach in Grand Rapids, then Ryan Martin needs to fire him.
Martin is the GM of Grand Rapids and he can fire coaches and give them instructions.
Kronwall played 3 seasons in Sweden after the draft. Ericsson even more, but he was a much later pick.

So your argument doesn't hold up in terms of there being something wrong with staying an extra year in Sweden for AJ.

Also look at Albert outside his hockey gear. He has a lot of growing to do physically. He's closer to a 3rd round pick than a 1st round pick, so keep that in mind when thinking about his development timeline. He's progressing really well but shouldn't really be fast-tracked.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Kronwall played 3 seasons in Sweden after the draft. Ericsson even more, but he was a much later pick.

So your argument doesn't hold up in terms of there being something wrong with staying an extra year in Sweden for AJ.

Also look at Albert outside his hockey gear. He has a lot of growing to do physically. He's closer to a 3rd round pick than a 1st round pick, so keep that in mind when thinking about his development timeline. He's progressing really well but shouldn't really be fast-tracked.

Kronwall was drafted at 5'10 160 pounds in an era when small D weren't drafted in round 1.
You can't compare that to Johansson, 6'0, 170 pounds, taken in an era when small D are going in the top 5.

In addition - Kronwall was developing for a franchise that had Lidstrom, Chelios, Fischer, Duchesne, Olausson, Wooley, Schneider, etc.
Johansson is developing for a franchise that has next to nobody worth keeping.

You think Albert Johansson is going to play way more minutes in Sweden next year?
He was already a first pairing guy in the playoffs many nights and down the stretch.
So what's the advantage to holding him back?

Did he suck in Sweden? No.
Where he did suck was in the WJC on North American ice - especially against the North American teams.

So let's see him start to tackle that challenge.

Stop holding him back for no reason.

Two full years in Sweden before going to the AHL is not "fast-tracked."
Johansson is likely to spend the entire year in GR. And maybe part of next year, too.
4 years of professional league development is not "fast tracked."

By the way, from that same draft:
Grewe - played in the AHL last year.
Tyutyayev - Signed by the griffins to play in the AHL.

Last edited:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
AHL is not next level. It's basicly same level as SHL.

There is something wrong.

The AHL realingment and increased bus travelling especially at Central Division. It has hurt Griffins most compared to Eastern AHL teams.

Players developing at Griffins are not getting as good rest after travel as other teams. Like, Syracuse is not that bad, and Yzerman didn't hesitate get guys there. But Grand Rapids is not Syracuse.

Not surprised Yzerman prefers European positions for development. Lot less travel and more rest. Better development after same training.

Also, if there's 1st defencemen positions available around the world for our prospects and Griffins has only 1 spot for 1st defencemen, it's a no-brainer to spread them on different teams at same level of leagues.

Right.
AHL is the same level.
Moritz Seider goes from solid rookie in the AHL to best defenseman in the league in Sweden.
AHL is better than Sweden by far.

You have some talented guys in Sweden, but the depth is terrible on most teams.

Nevermind the fact that Johansson still needs to learn to play on smaller ice against NHL-style players.
Johansson is not going to be able to do those wide arc turns from the boards to the middle of the ice and find daylight in the AHL or NHL.
You can get away with pond hockey in Sweden. Can't get away with it in the AHL.

I don't give a f*** if Johansson plays first line minutes. It's unlikely he's going to play first line minutes in the NHL anyway.
Send him to GR, start him on the third pairing and let him work his way to the NHL.

He's going to have to do it at some point.
Why do you want to delay him?
A good year in GR and he could be ready for the NHL next year in his D+4 year.

A good year in Sweden? Big f***ing deal. He still needs to go to GR and now you're looking at D+5 before he's ready.

Who's he competing with on GR for icetime anyway?
McIsaac?
That's the only other LD under contract.
Cholowski maybe if he's sent down or not claimed in expansion or waivers?

Viro - back to Finland. Sebrango - back to the OHL. Hicketts - not signed yet.

You think having two defensive prospects signed for GR is crowded?

The logic doesn't add up.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

MrKriben

Dec 16, 2014
Stockholm
Except they play 8 defensemen so he won't get 20, Virtanen was the only player to average over 20 @22:42
Färjestad BK spelarstatistik - Färjestad BK (farjestadbk.se)
Färjestad will have 8 defensemen under contract. SHL teams are allowed to dress 2 extra players /game. Färjestad has opted to use 1 forward and 1 defenseman and they are used to spread the icetime, primarily in games with lots of PP/BP where the best players tend to get alot of icetime and need some shifts off.
The GM in Färjestad is one of biggest opponents to this. He would like to have a NHL style roster instead but while the rules are like they are, the teams will use them.
This being said, I doubt that Göransson, Nyström, Westin or Ginning will have more icetime than Albert when all is said and done. ;)

The only thing that worries me about Johansson is there are times he doesn't seem to cope with pressure and a forecheck. I think putting him in a league where he is pushed to make faster decisions might not be a poor decision at this point. I don't have a huge issue with him staying in the SHL either, but I can see benefits to putting him in the AHL for sure, if we want to put him in a position to be successful and are ready to give him PP minutes in GR I am fine with it.

I agree with the part about preassure and forecheck. It was especially visual in the international games and the playoff games and I guess your way could be a solution but I would say that a more stable environment than the previous season. A new D coach, Wikstrand added to remove some of the preasure on Albert to be #1 if Virtanen goes down and the fact that the forwards in Färjestad 21/22 will be a much better lineup, especially when it comes to helping out in the backcheck and defensive game that was really lacking and hurt players like Albert last year.

I've read some of your posts now and I just want to know if you have seen SHL games on a regular basis?
It seems that you tend to make a lot of assumptions of the league without having that much information to be honest.

AHL is not the next level for a top SHL player.
I've watched Färjestad for a long long time and I would rank Albert higher than for example Jonas Brodin who went directly to NHL.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I've read some of your posts now and I just want to know if you have seen SHL games on a regular basis?
It seems that you tend to make a lot of assumptions of the league without having that much information to be honest.

AHL is not the next level for a top SHL player.
I've watched Färjestad for a long long time and I would rank Albert higher than for example Jonas Brodin who went directly to NHL.

I've seen enough Johansson to know that his game, as played in the SHL today, won't work in the NHL without transition.
I'm not concerned with rankings. I;m concerned with how players advance and the way their game will translate in the NHL.

Brodin plays a different kind of game.
He was a top 10 pick.
Post draft, he played ONE year in Sweden - not 3 like Johansson is doing.
And he did play nine games in the AHL.

I totally understand why a Farjestad fan wants Johansson to stay in Sweden. I don't understand why a Wings fan wants it.

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki
Right.
AHL is the same level.
Moritz Seider goes from solid rookie in the AHL to best defenseman in the league in Sweden.
AHL is better than Sweden by far.

You have some talented guys in Sweden, but the depth is terrible on most teams.

Nevermind the fact that Johansson still needs to learn to play on smaller ice against NHL-style players.
Johansson is not going to be able to do those wide arc turns from the boards to the middle of the ice and find daylight in the AHL or NHL.
You can get away with pond hockey in Sweden. Can't get away with it in the AHL.

I don't give a f*** if Johansson plays first line minutes. It's unlikely he's going to play first line minutes in the NHL anyway.
Send him to GR, start him on the third pairing and let him work his way to the NHL.

He's going to have to do it at some point.
Why do you want to delay him?
A good year in GR and he could be ready for the NHL next year in his D+4 year.

A good year in Sweden? Big f***ing deal. He still needs to go to GR and now you're looking at D+5 before he's ready.

Who's he competing with on GR for icetime anyway?
McIsaac?
That's the only other LD under contract.
Cholowski maybe if he's sent down or not claimed in expansion or waivers?

Viro - back to Finland. Sebrango - back to the OHL. Hicketts - not signed yet.

You think having two defensive prospects signed for GR is crowded?

The logic doesn't add up.
Umm so u think Seider being a year older and more developed than he was in his AHL season had nothing to do with it? So by this logic Allsvenskan is also higher level than SHL since Elias Pettersson went from under ppg there to clearly over ppg in the SHL.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Kronwall was drafted at 5'10 160 pounds in an era when small D weren't drafted in round 1.
You can't compare that to Johansson, 6'0, 170 pounds, taken in an era when small D are going in the top 5.

In addition - Kronwall was developing for a franchise that had Lidstrom, Chelios, Fischer, Duchesne, Olausson, Wooley, Schneider, etc.
Johansson is developing for a franchise that has next to nobody worth keeping.

You think Albert Johansson is going to play way more minutes in Sweden next year?
He was already a first pairing guy in the playoffs many nights and down the stretch.
So what's the advantage to holding him back?

Did he suck in Sweden? No.
Where he did suck was in the WJC on North American ice - especially against the North American teams.

So let's see him start to tackle that challenge.

Stop holding him back for no reason.

Two full years in Sweden before going to the AHL is not "fast-tracked."
Johansson is likely to spend the entire year in GR. And maybe part of next year, too.
4 years of professional league development is not "fast tracked."

By the way, from that same draft:
Grewe - played in the AHL last year.
Tyutyayev - Signed by the griffins to play in the AHL.
Grewe got a look in AHL because they wanted to see him closer and there was time for him to do it. He won't be there next season.
Tyuatayev needs to play in a better league than he was. AHL is a good next step.

Neither example says anything about Johansson.

Johansson didn't play all that much powerplay last season so that's one area where he could see increased responsibility and development.
The team is also better and gunning for the championship.

If Johansson isn't going to get frequent looks in the NHL the upcoming season I think SHL will be a perfect situation for him.

But I understand much of this depends on how you feel about AHL and Grand Rapids as a development situation. I think it sucks, so I'm biased.
Most people even think Seider took a big leap forward when he got into Rögle's development pipeline. And again, the kid we're talking about is an exceptional skater in large part because he's working closely with an old "legend", his dad. Keeping that relationship going another year to build on that skating game can't be a terrible idea.

MrKriben

Dec 16, 2014
Stockholm
I've seen enough Johansson to know that his game, as played in the SHL today, won't work in the NHL without transition.
I'm not concerned with rankings. I;m concerned with how players advance and the way their game will translate in the NHL.

Brodin plays a different kind of game.
He was a top 10 pick.
Post draft, he played ONE year in Sweden - not 3 like Johansson is doing.
And he did play nine games in the AHL.

I totally understand why a Farjestad fan wants Johansson to stay in Sweden. I don't understand why a Wings fan wants it.

How many games are enough?
I've seen him 120+ games on diffrent levels.

Of course I want what is best for Färjestad but also what is best for Albert. Färjestad are proud to develop good players and that we keep in contact with them if they want to return to SHL for loans or otherwise.
In this thread though, I think I've been clear that the best for Albert and for Detroit is also what is best for Färjestad. In that order.
I just don't know why someone who's hardly seen him play are such an expert on what is best for his future development?

Also, GR does not exactly shine when it comes to player development latley and Yzerman has sent his most prized prospects otherwise so I don't see what it is you're pushing for?
Again, Albert will have a great season in Färjestad and he will come to 22/23 camp ready to compete for a #4 D slot in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad