Prospect Info: 60th Overall, Albert Johansson, LD

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Also, GR does not exactly shine when it comes to player development latley and Yzerman has sent his most prized prospects otherwise
Well... COVID.

But if it continues after this season then some changes obviously need to be made. Martin has been around for 15 years (7 as GR GM) so I doubt he gets fired. He's got a lot on his plate, so maybe it's time to change some of the people below him.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Umm so u think Seider being a year older and more developed than he was in his AHL season had nothing to do with it? So by this logic Allsvenskan is also higher level than SHL since Elias Pettersson went from under ppg there to clearly over ppg in the SHL.

.I chuckled when I read that as well. Let's not credit Seider's hard work in Rogle or the coaching and deployment over there. It's gotta be an easier league that's WAY higher scoring...

A lot of people here still buy into the old Ken Holland "over-ripened" prospect schtick. If a player is good enough, they will play. Flat out. And the SHL is not a bad league to develop in for skilled guys. I think the SHL's style is closer to the modern NHL than the AHL is anyway. The AHL is still a goon league, FFS.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Also, GR does not exactly shine when it comes to player development latley and Yzerman has sent his most prized prospects otherwise so I don't see what it is you're pushing for?

Let's not ignore the fact that the European leagues started earlier than the NHL and while the AHL's season was still in question. He also pulled Seider from Germany in his D+1 year to play in the AHL, made a point to leave Rasmussen in the AHL, and Veleno in the AHL. He's pulling Berggren and Raymond to North America with reasonable odds that they will spend a portion of their time in the AHL in the upcoming season.

There's actually more evidence to support that Yzerman prefers his prospects play in the AHL than he does internationally. Leaving kids in Sweden or Finland seems to be more out of convenience than it is out of desire. As soon as they get close, they find their way to North America.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
He is our 2nd best defenseman prospect behind Edvinsson.

Interesting, Swedes pronounce his name Johansson like 'YOU-HUN-SON"

I was saying it like "JOE-HAN-SAN"

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
.I chuckled when I read that as well. Let's not credit Seider's hard work in Rogle or the coaching and deployment over there. It's gotta be an easier league that's WAY higher scoring...

A lot of people here still buy into the old Ken Holland "over-ripened" prospect schtick. If a player is good enough, they will play. Flat out. And the SHL is not a bad league to develop in for skilled guys. I think the SHL's style is closer to the modern NHL than the AHL is anyway. The AHL is still a goon league, FFS.
Albert needs a little bit goonup in GR

SCD

Apr 8, 2018

Why do you quote crap?

Look at Seider's projections compared to Johansson. Seider in his D2 year is the SHL defenseman of the year and is given a 44% NHL probability. Johansson D2 @ 78% and D3 @ 82%. Seriously!

Wallinder is still a better prospect.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Why do you quote crap?

Look at Seider's projections compared to Johansson. Seider in his D2 year is the SHL defenseman of the year and is given a 44% NHL probability. Johansson D2 @ 78% and D3 @ 82%. Seriously!

Seems like Seider got some wonderful praise from this "crap" twitter guy and icehockeygifs.
Who are you? Lol

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
What he says and what his probability chart show are not consistent. Obviously, you can't grasp that.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
What he says and what his probability chart show are not consistent. Obviously, you can't grasp that.

I think you are putting too much stock in the colorful probability pictures. Lol

And he already said Seider's D2 analytics were impacted by Covid-19.

What are your credentials? Would love to see what mastery you possess aside from being a casual random fan posting on a random internet forum who seems bitter about colorful scales with numbers.

Reactions: ridilon

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Why do you quote crap?

I'm not sold on either until I see them play in the NHL, Bowey and Djoos looked good at lower levels of hockey including the AHL.

Edvinsson can handle the physicality, Wallinder and AlJo need to bulk up.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
I'm not sold on either until I see them play in the NHL, Bowey and Djoos looked good at lower levels of hockey including the AHL.

Edvinsson can handle the physicality, Wallinder and AlJo need to bulk up.

Wallinder could definitely stand to play more physical. That was probably my biggest gripe about his game this year is that several times he could have bodied his man into the corner and play would have moved the other direction, but he made the soft play and the opposition was able to cycle. He doesn't really play a mean game so it's about developing that timing to do so and still be able to move the puck. It'll come, my dude.

AlJo definitely needs to get on the American diet, though. He threw some crushing open ice hits and was a willing participant in the corners and in the front of the net but I don't think he could outmuscle anyone on the current Detroit team not named Zadina or DeKeyser.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Wallinder could definitely stand to play more physical. That was probably my biggest gripe about his game this year is that several times he could have bodied his man into the corner and play would have moved the other direction, but he made the soft play and the opposition was able to cycle. He doesn't really play a mean game so it's about developing that timing to do so and still be able to move the puck. It'll come, my dude.

AlJo definitely needs to get on the American diet, though. He threw some crushing open ice hits and was a willing participant in the corners and in the front of the net but I don't think he could outmuscle anyone on the current Detroit team not named Zadina or DeKeyser.

One has to develop mental toughness the other physical, sounds about right. Both belong in the AHL for at least a season if not more.

Keep in mind Djoos used up his waiver exemption, that's how he wound up in Detroit before he washed out of the league.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Just wondering what this is based on? Edvinsson got in quite a bit of injury trouble this season from taking hits. He's tall but that also means it takes time to fill out the frame.

Concussions, my dude. It’s not like Edvinsson’s hits were typical bumps. I think someone gave him a forearm to the head.

Reactions: SCD

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Just wondering what this is based on? Edvinsson got in quite a bit of injury trouble this season from taking hits. He's tall but that also means it takes time to fill out the frame.
Edvinsson being 40 lbs heavier than Johansson, probably.

Reactions: Gniwder

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Concussions, my dude. It’s not like Edvinsson’s hits were typical bumps. I think someone gave him a forearm to the head.
There were at least 4-5 incidents related to hits, just saying I think the fact that he's 6'6'' might make people think he's more physically ready than he is. Albert also needs to get stronger but I think his playoffs show how much progress he's made.

Edvinsson being 40 lbs heavier than Johansson, probably.
He also goes by "Skinny Simon" in the Frölunda lockerroom..

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
There were at least 4-5 incidents related to hits, just saying I think the fact that he's 6'6'' might make people think he's more physically ready than he is. Albert also needs to get stronger but I think his playoffs show how much progress he's made.

He also goes by "Skinny Simon" in the Frölunda lockerroom..
Edvinsson is listed at 6’5” 207 lbs.
Ramsmussen is listed at 6”6” 210 lbs.

Doesn’t seem that bad to me.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Edvinsson is listed at 6’5” 207 lbs.
Ramsmussen is listed at 6”6” 210 lbs.

Doesn’t seem that bad to me.
I'm also around 210 and I wouldn't walk for 6 months if I got one hit by an NHLer!

Seriously though, I just don't think Simon should automatically be considered physically ready because he's tall and/or what his weight is listed at. The last thing we want is to rush him and see him get additional injuries from hits because he's not ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad