Prospect Info: 60th Overall, Albert Johansson, LD

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Walman - Seider
Edvinsson - Hronek
Johansson - Lindstrom

Extras : Oesterle / Staal

I really think Johansson has a shot to make the opening night roster.
I really think Johansson will hate the physicality of small rink hockey. I question how much he really likes the corners.

Reactions: lilidk

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Edvinsson is listed at 6’5” 207 lbs.
Ramsmussen is listed at 6”6” 210 lbs.

Doesn’t seem that bad to me.

Owen Power is listed at 6’6 213.
Mo Seider is listed at 6’4 197.

Not every 6’3+ hockey player is going to tip the scales at 260 like Byfuglien did. These guys are kids, and by the time they are 26-27 years old in like 5-8 years, they probably will be 230ish just because of basic body maturation, strength training, diet modifications. But if we are waiting for someone to hit that arbitrary weight before giving them a chance, we will waste a career.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Edvinsson is listed at 6’5” 207 lbs.
Ramsmussen is listed at 6”6” 210 lbs.

Doesn’t seem that bad to me.
Soderblom is 6'8" and 240+. If Edvinsson could develop into that range weight wise it could get scary.

Al48

Apr 23, 2020
Walman - Seider
Edvinsson - Hronek
Johansson - Lindstrom

As much as I’d like to see the influx of youth, I doubt you’re going to see two young rookie defensemen make the roster when Yzerman is concerned with cleaning up the defense. I’d say one makes the roster, max, the other plays big minutes in the AHL all season.

Reactions: David D

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
As much as I’d like to see the influx of youth, I doubt you’re going to see two young rookie defensemen make the roster when Yzerman is concerned with cleaning up the defense. I’d say one makes the roster, max, the other plays big minutes in the AHL all season.
I'd say usually you'd be right on that but if they have a good camp they will play. 2-3 years time with maybe a free agent signing/ trade do the Wings have the best Dcore in the league? Gonna be hard to top

Reactions: Al48

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I'd say usually you'd be right on that but if they have a good camp they will play. 2-3 years time with maybe a free agent signing/ trade do the Wings have the best Dcore in the league? Gonna be hard to top
Why do you keep counting free-agent signings/trades before they hatch? I am noticing a pattern here.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Walman - Seider
Edvinsson - Hronek
Johansson - Lindstrom

If the Wings go into next season with Walman on the top pair, they're in trouble. Dude has to learn to play defense and actually engage opponents on the boards and in the corners before he can play in that role. Even Mo Seider can't cover that up. I like Walman as a bottom pair guy, but he has to take some big steps before he's anything more than that.

The Wings definitely need to sign another Leddy-type. Hopefully one who doesn't fail as hard as Leddy, but they need a legitimately good and experienced player to hold down the #1 LHD spot.

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I kinda want Zadorov, don't care much about the AAV, but I wouldn't be willing to give him anymore than 4 years...that way we don't have to rush Johansson

Edit: Maatta would serve a similar purpose, good alternative. I'd be conscious of term with him as well though.

Last edited:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Walman - Seider
Edvinsson - Hronek
Johansson - Lindstrom

I hope to whatever higher power there is that's not our defense on opening night. If there weren't teams like Montreal, Seattle, Arizona and probably New Jersey who are going to blatantly suck so bad next year that would put us in the running for Bedard.

Reactions: Winger98

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Walman - Seider
Edvinsson - Hronek
Johansson - Lindstrom

This would probably be the worst defense we've ever iced. Even if Edvinsson and Johansson turn into great players one day, this D lineup for next year would be brutal.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Djoos is a pretty good skater though AlJo does look faster. Regardless that doesn't mean he can handle physical play. Mike Green was a top tier skater in his younger days, he got wrecked and wound up here, lol.
It's a different NHL then in Mike Green's day. The regular season is glorified pond hockey. We won't have to worry about playoffs.

Djoos was not even close to the same skater AlJo is. Albert also has an inner Kronwall in him.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It's a different NHL then in Mike Green's day. The regular season is glorified pond hockey. We won't have to worry about playoffs.

Djoos was not even close to the same skater AlJo is. Albert also has an inner Kronwall in him.

At 168lbs he can have an inner Scott Stevens and he's still going to get wrecked.

Sure the league is softer, but you still have guys like Boyle (the only player to knock Seider down), Tom Wilson, etc. Not to mention he's gonna get overpowered by guys on a regular basis, most of the league is still over 200 lbs, and even the smaller guys have huge f'ing legs.

Starting him out in the NHL will wind up being the same disaster as Cholo.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
At 168lbs he can have an inner Scott Stevens and he's still going to get wrecked.

Sure the league is softer, but you still have guys like Boyle (the only player to knock Seider down), Tom Wilson, etc. Not to mention he's gonna get overpowered by guys on a regular basis, most of the league is still over 200 lbs, and even the smaller guys have huge f'ing legs.

Starting him out in the NHL will wind up being the same disaster as Cholo.
People keep saying he’s on the NHL roster this year….

They should go to NHL, go to Stats, set the filter for defenseman and bio, and then sort by the lightest weight and tell me how many guys are in the league at his weight and how good they are.

Until I see one of these articles saying he’s 175-180 now (at least) I’m not penciling him onto an NHL team.

The last time I saw a guy his size come over from Sweden it was Almqvist and that didn’t go so hot.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Didn't someone verify that AlJo is more than 168 now? Or maybe just point out that he's been listed as 168 for like 3 years now and how unlikely that is that he hasn't gained any weight?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Didn't someone verify that AlJo is more than 168 now? Or maybe just point out that he's been listed as 168 for like 3 years now and how unlikely that is that he hasn't gained any weight?
This article is from not even a year ago and says “The 6-foot, 168-pound blueliner”.

I have not see anyone produce anything that says otherwise.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Can you force teams to make trades with Detroit? Yes or no?
Well I'm not able to, but thankfully it's somebody else's job...

img_2044.jpg

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
This article is from not even a year ago and says “The 6-foot, 168-pound blueliner”.

I have not see anyone produce anything that says otherwise.
Fluff articles from across the sea without any new information, interviews or insight are not evidence of anything.

June 2020.
-I feel good, it looks good when I stand on the scales. I'm gaining weight like I should.
- I'm trying to get up to 80+kg (176+lbs) this summer.

September of 2020
-I've added a few kilo"

May 2022
-I feel strong and have added some muscle.

It would have to be considered extremely unlikely that his weight has remained exactly the same since the draft.

most of the league is still over 200 lbs
Average weight in the league was about 198lbs this season.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Fluff articles from across the sea without any new information, interviews or insight are not evidence of anything.

June 2020.

September of 2020

May 2022

It would have to be considered extremely unlikely that his weight has remained exactly the same since the draft.

Average weight in the league was about 198lbs this season.
Thank you for posting/translating those Swedish articles.

Would be cool if one of our beat writers could give us an update on where he’s actually at?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $200.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00