Prospect Info: 60OA - Hurricanes Select LW Gleb Trikozov

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
aggressive puck carrier that takes the game directly to the defense with insane top speed. zone entry wizard who can spot lanes developing on the rush. plays incredibly fast and challenges opposing defensemen often by putting the puck right at their feet and trusting his stickhandling going forward is better than yours going backwards. he'll have to learn to be more selective with that at higher levels, but it's the kind of pace you want to see a dynamic offensive player play. he's a lot of fun and when he has the puck the skill is obvious. there's a little kucherov to his game in the sense that I think he'll ultimately end up being as adept at passing and playmaking as he is shooting the puck and is just impossible to defend on the rush because he makes such good choices at high speed. great at using body leverage to beat defenders around the corner with what we used to see erik cole do so often which is basically pull sticks off himself with his inside hand while extending the puck away from his body at top speed when he's rounding the corner coming into the zone. or as nhl game players will know, the animation that used to be the "puck protect," but he doesn't lose much if any speed with it.

it's notable at he likes to put the puck in the defender's feet and push the pressure backwards, as I don't think that will be a great idea moving forward as the defenders become more adept. defenders are just going to play through him at higher levels but his speed is so intimidating when he's carrying the puck through the neutral zone that he gets a lot of respect in terms of gaps. he's right in the defenseman's pocket so quickly that you almost have to give him space. the shot is overwhelming. one of the best in the class behind miroschnichenko but his preference right now is to hold the puck a little longer and wait for the play to develop which is hard to say how much of that will translate. it's better than putting a muffin on net, but his shooting talent is such that you'd probably just want to see him challenge the goalies as aggressively as he does the defense. but the deception he creates in not shooting as frequently is that when he does it's very surprising how quickly he can get the release. if a goalie isn't square to him, which is hard to do when you're trying to anticipate the angle of a potential pass and maybe cheat away from your far side post to get the jump, then he can blow it past pretty effortlessly. that dynamic makes him so hard to predict that if you guess wrong you're in bad shape.

a notable absence of his game without the puck is the major thing keeping him from being a complete player, which is where scouts didn't like him much. not as much an unwillingness to play as much as not pressuring the right places on the forecheck, but he's 17 and young for this class so that isn't entirely surprising. there's some cheat to his game trying to anticipate where the puck is going early in the possession that will frustrate at times if the play gets behind him. but these are just angle of pursuit changes he will have to make with good coaching. his defense right now is largely only a function to get the puck back and less effective defense if that makes sense. so he chases the puck a lot and can get pulled in deeper into the attacking zone than he should be at times when he would be better served to fall back into defensive posture. he'll have to time that aggression better but again, it's not an unwillingness. the effort tends to fall off a bit in his own zone which is where the trouble lives. despite being a fast pace player, there are times where it goes away in that third and he's just kind of skating around out there. but again, there are things you can teach and reinforce. he'll need to buy in a lot harder, but that's more a mindset challenge. the scouts that like him will minimize this and the scouts that hate him will maximize it. but to me, he's the kind of kid that will want to get better at it once he understands the relationship between strong effort defensively and how that correlates to his transition game. he just jumps off the film when that engagement exists. the raw clay is workable to say the least.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
aggressive puck carrier that takes the game directly to the defense with insane top speed. zone entry wizard who can spot lanes developing on the rush. plays incredibly fast and challenges opposing defensemen often by putting the puck right at their feet and trusting his stickhandling going forward is better than yours going backwards. he'll have to learn to be more selective with that at higher levels, but it's the kind of pace you want to see a dynamic offensive player play. he's a lot of fun and when he has the puck the skill is obvious. there's a little kucherov to his game in the sense that I think he'll ultimately end up being as adept at passing and playmaking as he is shooting the puck and is just impossible to defend on the rush because he makes such good choices at high speed. great at using body leverage to beat defenders around the corner with what we used to see erik cole do so often which is basically pull sticks off himself with his inside hand while extending the puck away from his body at top speed when he's rounding the corner coming into the zone. or as nhl game players will know, the animation that used to be the "puck protect," but he doesn't lose much if any speed with it.

it's notable at he likes to put the puck in the defender's feet and push the pressure backwards, as I don't think that will be a great idea moving forward as the defenders become more adept. defenders are just going to play through him at higher levels but his speed is so intimidating when he's carrying the puck through the neutral zone that he gets a lot of respect in terms of gaps. he's right in the defenseman's pocket so quickly that you almost have to give him space. the shot is overwhelming. one of the best in the class behind miroschnichenko but his preference right now is to hold the puck a little longer and wait for the play to develop which is hard to say how much of that will translate. it's better than putting a muffin on net, but his shooting talent is such that you'd probably just want to see him challenge the goalies as aggressively as he does the defense. but the deception he creates in not shooting as frequently is that when he does it's very surprising how quickly he can get the release. if a goalie isn't square to him, which is hard to do when you're trying to anticipate the angle of a potential pass and maybe cheat away from your far side post to get the jump, then he can blow it past pretty effortlessly. that dynamic makes him so hard to predict that if you guess wrong you're in bad shape.

a notable absence of his game without the puck is the major thing keeping him from being a complete player, which is where scouts didn't like him much. not as much an unwillingness to play as much as not pressuring the right places on the forecheck, but he's 17 and young for this class so that isn't entirely surprising. there's some cheat to his game trying to anticipate where the puck is going early in the possession that will frustrate at times if the play gets behind him. but these are just angle of pursuit changes he will have to make with good coaching. his defense right now is largely only a function to get the puck back and less effective defense if that makes sense. so he chases the puck a lot and can get pulled in deeper into the attacking zone than he should be at times when he would be better served to fall back into defensive posture. he'll have to time that aggression better but again, it's not an unwillingness. the effort tends to fall off a bit in his own zone which is where the trouble lives. despite being a fast pace player, there are times where it goes away in that third and he's just kind of skating around out there. but again, there are things you can teach and reinforce. he'll need to buy in a lot harder, but that's more a mindset challenge. the scouts that like him will minimize this and the scouts that hate him will maximize it. but to me, he's the kind of kid that will want to get better at it once he understands the relationship between strong effort defensively and how that correlates to his transition game. he just jumps off the film when that engagement exists. the raw clay is workable to say the least.

That's interesting because this is Pronman's write-up - he seems to have a very different opinion of Gleb's skating ability:

"
51. Gleb Trikozov, LW, Omsk 2 (RUSSIA-JR.)

Aug. 12, 2004 | 6′ 1.0″ | 185 pounds | Shoots right

Tier: Projected to play NHL games

Skating: Below NHL average
Puck skills: NHL average
Hockey sense: NHL average
Compete: NHL average
Shot: Above NHL average

Background: Trikozov was an important part of a good Russian junior team this season and overall has been quite productive in his junior career in Russia. With Russia’s U18 team, his play was more up and down with good numbers but being benched during important games at times.

Analysis: Trikozov is a talented winger. He displays great individual skills and creativity with the puck to often beat opponents one-on-one. He can create for himself with his skill while also showing great vision and instincts as a playmaker to find seams. Trikozov’s vision and shot make him a threat from the perimeter and an asset on the power play. His skating is just OK and his game in general can lack pace. I waver on his compete. I’ve seen games he takes nights off and other games he’s engaged and works hard on both sides of the puck. Trikozov projects as a full-time bottom-six winger."

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
That's interesting because this is Pronman's write-up - he seems to have a very different opinion of Gleb's skating ability:

"

Background: Trikozov was an important part of a good Russian junior team this season and overall has been quite productive in his junior career in Russia. With Russia’s U18 team, his play was more up and down with good numbers but being benched during important games at times.

Analysis: Trikozov is a talented winger. He displays great individual skills and creativity with the puck to often beat opponents one-on-one. He can create for himself with his skill while also showing great vision and instincts as a playmaker to find seams. Trikozov’s vision and shot make him a threat from the perimeter and an asset on the power play. His skating is just OK and his game in general can lack pace. I waver on his compete. I’ve seen games he takes nights off and other games he’s engaged and works hard on both sides of the puck. Trikozov projects as a full-time bottom-six winger."

that's an interesting takeaway. I have never been flush with his perception of players. gleb can move, imo. there are scouts that don't believe what they're seeing because they believe the mhl to be so incredibly weak that his superior skating there won't play up. i've not seen him penalized this harshly for his skating elsewhere.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
that's an interesting takeaway. I have never been flush with his perception of players. gleb can move, imo. there are scouts that don't believe what they're seeing because they believe the mhl to be so incredibly weak that his superior skating there won't play up. i've not seen him penalized this harshly for his skating elsewhere.
Oh cool so he's even better than what we thought.

Definitely the 2nd coming of Kucherov. All aboard the hype train, ride it to the moon!

AnotherHastyAfricanrockpython-size_restricted.gif

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

"

This is one of many reasons I don’t really pay heed to Pronman. He’s a boom or bust top six guy. That’s how you get sat in big games, by not being a good bottom six guy.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
A few points:
Pronman - his rankings suck and he is often all over the place

Trikozov - legit sources like Hockeyprospect had him as a 1st round pick. He has all the tools to play top 6. The crazy part is he is only 17 and just keeps improving.

I see him one day playing #2 Center with Svechnikov on the wing.Scary thought!

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
A few points:
Pronman - his rankings suck and he is often all over the place

Trikozov - legit sources like Hockeyprospect had him as a 1st round pick. He has all the tools to play top 6. The crazy part is he is only 17 and just keeps improving.

I see him one day playing #2 Center with Svechnikov on the wing.Scary thought!
Interesting the idea of him playing center in the show eventually. Most reports I've read have him projecting as a wing but that would hardly be the first time we took a guy that projects as a wing that might actually be better suited at center. Last one we did that with has turned out pretty damn good.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Yes he can play Center or Wing. I actually see him as more of a playmaker in the NHL, although yes he can definitely find ways to score as well. But to me his best asset is protecting the puck until he finds an open teammate. He is very good at time…often players are trying to hit him and he just bounces off and keeps going.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
McKeens also rates his skating as a strong suit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad