Waived: 6 on waivers

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Identical pts per game as Norris in the AHL last season, believe both were top 10 in the league in pts per game.

Rudolfs Balcers is not Mike Hoffman, and never will be. He's going on 24 years old and was waived by a team expected to finish between 29-31st place.

Kyle Wellwood had more points than Jason Spezza in their draft years. I don't see the point in comparing two dissimilar players, especially when the player you're using to further your point is widely known as an exception to the rule.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
re balcers
we did put hoffman on waivers at one point too and he cleared. right?

Reactions: bert

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Rudolfs Balcers is not Mike Hoffman, and never will be. He's going on 24 years old and was waived by a team expected to finish between 29-31st place.

Kyle Wellwood had more points than Jason Spezza in their draft years. I don't see the point in comparing two dissimilar players, especially when the player you're using to further your point is widely known as an exception to the rule.
Hoffman was waived at 24 years old, by a team that finished 21st. His first year starting in the NHL was in his 25 year old season. Next year is Balcers 24 year old season.

I don't think Balcers is an NHL guy outside of cups of coffee, but a guy becoming a player after getting put on waivers happens all the time

Reactions: bert and Icelevel

MrInvidious

Sep 25, 2020
Toronto, ON / Ottawa, ON
Just because Balcers is listed as a theoretical top-10 prospect in the organization does not necessarily mean it is because of his ceiling. Rather, I believe it's more to do with the fact that he is almost 24 and he's shown that his floor is at least an NHL player. I think it's even safe right now to say at this point that both Balcers is an NHL caliber player.

No one should be saying that it's a given that he will be this offensive NHL dynamo putting up 60-70 point seasons, but it's also not out of the realm of possibility.

At the end of the day, guys like Balcers do get waived pretty often. I still believe he is capable of becoming a 40-50 point player in the NHL at his peak.

More interestingly, I have to imagine Chlapik won't be around much longer.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Again, a tremendous exception to the rule. Mike Hoffman is the most oft-cited recent example of a waiver gem.
Lots of good players get claimed/put on waivers and go on to have very good careers. Off the top of my head there's Parenteau, Kunitz, Byron, Bryzgalov, Grabner, Quincy, Markstrom, Spurgeon, Pomminville, Briere among many others I'm sure

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Lots of good players get claimed/put on waivers and go on to have very good careers. Off the top of my head there's Parenteau, Kunitz, Byron, Bryzgalov, Grabner, Quincy, Markstrom, Spurgeon, Pomminville, Briere among many others I'm sure
Those guts don't count because they are exceptions. Balcers can't be an exception because we suck and he got waived...

Honestly, peopke aren't saying he's a prime prospect, the OP was about wther he's in out top 10 (imo hes just barely outaide it). The guys he's competing with are almost all longshots anyways.

Reactions: Simplicity

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
I think it’s more fun to debate whether Balcers will be picked up or not. I can’t imagine a team not taking a chance on him.

Chlapik I’m a bit more disappointed in, I think he’s looked good in each game he’s played with the big club but for some reason they don’t give him an extended look

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
I think it’s more fun to debate whether Balcers will be picked up or not. I can’t imagine a team not taking a chance on him.
I thought so too but maybe not.

Many players need to clear waivers to fill up those taxi squads and guys like Balcers - older prospects who are AHL proven but haven't made a dent in the NHL yet - will mostly end up on there as every team probably has one or two guys like that. Still his AHL numbers last year looked good enough to make him a more attractive option than the rest, so maybe a GM does bite.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I don't think it really matters if any of them clear waivers or not. Given their ages and experience I'm not expecting any substantial further development from them.

It's unlikely they're being viewed as prospects or part of the future here, so even if they stay in the organization they've likely all missed their shot at being full-time NHL players. Just roster filler at this point.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
I guess i cant count it was 7 players placed on wavers today Balcers Jaros Peca Shaw Haley Chlapik Beaudin

Jaros cleared wavers today

Reactions: DrEasy and Icelevel

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
This is the time of year every team tries to slip guys through and when there is real quality there. It's the time to slip them through because every other team signs too many players and has to send quality prospects or veterans through waivers too, and the idea that they would take on a new player into their top 12 forwards or top 6 on D is a tough one given the team wants most of all to see what they have before looking for a shiny new thing. And I agree with the notion of planning for it with a potential spot open is a worthwhile idea as a plan, although easy to pick the wrong guy.

Bottom line, there have been plenty future top 6 forwards and top 4 D that were put on waivers today. The hard part though, is knowing which ones.

Hart Trophy winner Martin St. Louis, Markstrom, Byron, Mason Raymond, Hoffman, Kunitz, Dubnyk, Bryzgalov, Grabner, Panik, Bryzgalov, Ray Whitney, Pomminville, Spurgeon, Peverley, Hickey, Grabner...the list goes on. These are just a few guys who were put on waivers before becoming proven commodities.

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
Balcers, Jaros and Chlapik are the risks IMO, but there are so many guys out there. Even teams that really like one of those guys, could like someone else better, and need to have room for these guys to play or be first alternative. If I had to guess, I think all of our guys are safe and will clear.

Reactions: DrEasy

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Just like we did with Hoffman. He can still be a good prospect,

Exactly and Hoffman was a much lesser prospect at the moment he was waived (Sept 2013)

25 pts in 74 GP
49 pts in 76 GP
28 pts in 41 GP

He didn't prove he could put numbers like Balcers did in the AHL :

48 pts in 67 GP
31 pts in 43 GP + 14 pts in 36 GP (NHL)
36 pts in 33 GP

Plus it was thought that Hoffman wouldn't be able to find a niche in the NHL as he was too soft and weak defensively (I was among people who though he would be just a cup-of-coffee guy). He's a very rare case of a late bloomer that broke out at 25 y/o

Balcers looked good at 21 y/o and produced decently well, 14 pts in 36 GP with only ~12 mins per game (32 pts per 82 games)

He did that with mainly Paajarvi, Tierney, Boedker, Ryan

Line Combinations - Frozen Tools

That looks good, no?

Balcers will be 24 years old during this season. Let's get serious on what kind of player he's going to be.

He hasn't played in the AHL/NHL in almost a year, like anyone else in the Sens organization... Last season was his 22 y/o season, just got unlucky with a MCL injury in training camp.

He put up over PPG in the AHL in his return but even if he played 15 games with the Sens, we haven't really seen him in the NHL since he was 21 y/o

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
We can't bring up Hoffman as an example every time someone is waived though. Hoffman had some elite skills (speed, shooting) and is an exception. It was crazy that he was waived; I don't think it's crazy to waive Balcers.

I'm not necessarily giving up on Balcers, but odds of him having Hoffman's career are extremely low.

Anyway, let's see if he clears waivers first.

Balcers had a much better track record (without even looking internationally) than Hoffman at the moment they were waived, look above. It was not that crazy to waive him if you compare. Mediocre AHL production, not good defensively, soft, etc.

Chances that he breaks out the way that Hoffman did are very low (because Hoffman is a very rare case) but is a easily a better prospect than Hoffman was.

No need for Jaros after picking up Gudbranson. Chlapik was a decent 4th liner but again no need or room for him anymore with Paquette, Galchenyuk, and all the young forwards pushing for spots. Balcers is the only one I'm a bit disappointed in, but kinda expected it given how deep the competition for spots is. Hope he clears for us but he might actually get an opportunity somewhere else.

Rest are guys that would have been waived even if they didn't acquire anyone in the summer.

Maybe I'm the only one who thinks this is really wrong. We are in a FULL rebuild and we are fine that 1 year rental vets are pushing some of our prospects on waivers.

I just don't get it. IMO Ottawa has no idea how to rebuild. Thankfully for them, they're pretty good at drafting. Only saving grace.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Yikes, I figured Jaros would make the team as a way to establish himself as an NHLer. He sitll can but it's a bit surprising. Same for Chlapik. I'm confident Balcers will make the team mid season as a call up

Reactions: Sensinitis

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
TBH Hoffman going on waivers was a stupid move even at the time.
I agree, but the counter-argument could be that he cleared, so maybe the Sens were very clever and knew it would be safe to waive him even though they really liked him.

For the record, I think Balcers and Chlapik will clear too.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
What’s the play for teams here - wait until the 11th hour and grab a player ? Is the deadline for taking a player from this round noon?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
What’s the play for teams here - wait until the 11th hour and grab a player ? Is the deadline for taking a player from this round noon?
Maybe. Maybe they just don’t like anyone. Which makes sense. They have their own guys that they’ve been developing and that they like for their own taxi squads. To pick up more taxi squad players from other teams may not make sense

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $8,851.00