Waived: 6 on waivers

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Just like we did with Hoffman. He can still be a good prospect,

Pretty much.

Balcers, Chlapik & co. are not up for grabs as a prospect for free. They're up for grabs for anyone who wants them on their NHL roster today! That's a big difference.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Pretty much.

Balcers, Chlapik & co. are not up for grabs as a prospect for free. They're up for grabs for anyone who wants them on their NHL roster today! That's a big difference.

Balcers will be 24 years old during this season. Let's get serious on what kind of player he's going to be.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Pretty much.

Besides, at 10th he's mostly competing with 2nd round picks or later. I guess Grieg and Thomson too. He probably falls just outside my top 10, but i still see him as a solid prospect.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Balcers will be 24 years old during this season. Let's get serious on what kind of player he's going to be.
Hoffman turned 25 the season he broke in full time. Balcers is a year younger than that and has similar AHL production.

Reactions: Icelevel

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Hoffman turned 25 the season he broke in full time. Balcers is a year younger than that and has similar AHL production.
We can't bring up Hoffman as an example every time someone is waived though. Hoffman had some elite skills (speed, shooting) and is an exception. It was crazy that he was waived; I don't think it's crazy to waive Balcers.

I'm not necessarily giving up on Balcers, but odds of him having Hoffman's career are extremely low.

Anyway, let's see if he clears waivers first.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
of the batch of draft picks collected 2015-2019.
Of the trades made 2016-2020 to get young prospects (sub 23 year olds)

How many are with the big club? How many are roster players? How many are other than 4th liners and 6-7 defencemen?

Why does it seem like the club is not making all that much head way in that area.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016

Absolutely. But Hoffman's case is somewhat exceptional. It's like saying that some 7th rounders turn into Joe Pavelski. Of course this is true, but it's an exception to the rule. I would also say that Hoffman was a high reward type player. A potential defensive liability, but with huge offensive upside.

Balcers is a player we look at as potentially being a strong 3rd liner. This is small potatoes.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Can people stop pencilling balcers as a top 10 prospect for us now team offered him for free to every other team
he's a 30 goal scorer. just needs a shot man. ;)
(seriously though, he's alright and has SOME potential, but yeah...overblown round here)

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
true. Skating is a big difference between those two though. And hoff still has a much better shot.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Absolutely. But Hoffman's case is somewhat exceptional. It's like saying that some 7th rounders turn into Joe Pavelski. Of course this is true, but it's an exception to the rule. I would also say that Hoffman was a high reward type player. A potential defensive liability, but with huge offensive upside.

Balcers is a player we look at as potentially being a strong 3rd liner. This is small potatoes.
I think this is selling Balcers short. He's potentially a strong middle 6 guy imo. He's looked better than Hoffman at the same age in both the AHL and NHL. Dzingel is another guy that turned out decent (not as well as Hoffman) despite having been waived. It happens. Just because a guy is waived doesn't mean he doesnt have potential, it just means we don't have room for him on the roster.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
true. Skating is a big difference between those two though. And hoff still has a much better shot.
I'd argue Balcer is much better defensively and more willing to go to dirty areas (less of a parimeter guy).

They are different players no doubt. But the point was simply being waived isn't enough to write someone off

Edit; its worth remembering who he is up against for around 10th in our pool, we aren't talking about sure things here.

Reactions: Icelevel

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Looking at the names on waivers, I kind of wish we started leaving maybe one spot open every year for these guys. We're way at the top of the priority list and there's probably a couple guys here who would be upgrades over our next best option.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016

When Hoffman got his cup of coffee, I remember thinking to myself "holy shit" this guy could be a player. His shot was in the top 5% of NHL players, and it was blatantly obvious.

When I watch Balcers, my favourite part of his game is his name. There's nothing that indicates that he is going to be anything more than a serviceable third line player. If someone is upset that a random recently required veteran took his spot and therefore his opportunity, then I can see why they'd feel that way. But to think that the team is missing out on something significant is a pretty big stretch.

Reactions: Imnotagoodposter

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
If any other NHL teams see Balcers as a guy who can play in the NHL for them right away, then I wish him the best for his future. It won't be great to lose him like this but let's be honest he's going to be in tough to not only make the roster but to stay in it for the foreseeable future with so many prospects coming through the ranks. It's only a matter of time and I can't imagine his trade value is sizeable unless he turns into a 20g, 30a guy all of a sudden.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
...There are better options at for top22 or top23 roster slots. The 1-way contracts to Reilly, Coburn, and Anisimov guarantee them slots as keeping them as taxi squad members makes no fiscal sense. I don't see Chlapik, Balcers, or Jaros supplanting any of the other starters (my prediction from December below), and with so many other players of equal or better quality in waivers, I don't know if we have to worry about losing them. They are placed in waivers with the intent to putting them on the taxi squad. AHL season doesn't start until February so I think they will still play in & out as part of the 29-man rotation that I expect teams to make in this condensed season during the pandemic.

Opening day line-up:

Tkachuk - White - Dadonov
Stuetzle - Stepan- Batherson
Galchenyuk - Tierney - C.Brown
Paul - Pacquette - Watson

Chabot - Gudbranson
Brannstrom - Zaitsev
Wolanin - Brown

Murray
Hogberg

Extras: Reilly, Coburn, Anisimov
Uber Squad: Balcers, Chlapik, Hailey, Zub, Jaros, Daccord. (all making AHL salary)
Key AHL call-ups: Brown, Norris, Formenton, Abramov

Unless Dorion makes some moves, or someone else is waived/LTIRed/similar, there is no space for Logan Brown, Norris, or Formenton to begin the season after the recent acquisitions. Before the trades, I had Brown and Norris competing for Anisimov's position.

I see Tierney/Anisimov/Galchenyuk as guys potentially rotating in and out for each other. Balcers and Chlapik are mostly injury replacements. Jaros is defenceman # 9 in the taxi squad.

I can also see getting Norris and Logan Brown getting an extended audition, until AHL season start, to make the team by being part of the 29-man rotation.

Perhaps the above post fits into this thread better, I always thought Chlapik, Balcers, and Jaros are taxi squad members, especially given 1-way contracts to Reilly, Coburn, and Anisimov.

Reactions: DrEasy and Cosmix

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
I'd argue Balcer is much better defensively and more willing to go to dirty areas (less of a parimeter guy).

They are different players no doubt. But the point was simply being waived isn't enough to write someone off

Edit; its worth remembering who he is up against for around 10th in our pool, we aren't talking about sure things here.

For sure, but if you're talking about a guy who is relatively strong defensively but has unremarkable offensive skill, then we're still talking about a third liner.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
For sure, but if you're talking about a guy who is relatively strong defensively but has unremarkable offensive skill, then we're still talking about a third liner.
Identical pts per game as Norris in the AHL last season, believe both were top 10 in the league in pts per game.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
No need for Jaros after picking up Gudbranson. Chlapik was a decent 4th liner but again no need or room for him anymore with Paquette, Galchenyuk, and all the young forwards pushing for spots. Balcers is the only one I'm a bit disappointed in, but kinda expected it given how deep the competition for spots is. Hope he clears for us but he might actually get an opportunity somewhere else.

Rest are guys that would have been waived even if they didn't acquire anyone in the summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad