Rumor: 50/50 Chance Fiala gets traded (No Monahan)

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Nobody wants to trade Reinhart for Fiala. I want futures for him. I don't want a guy with similar production, but worse defense that'll make around the same. This is just about one of your fellow Wild fans saying Fiala is much better than Reinhart, without having much to demonstrate that.

then why are you in a fiala trade thread arguing? GTFOH

Reactions: MuckOG

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Can we move on from the Reinhart vs Fiala thing ?
Devils offer you pick(s) out of this pile of awesomeness :
Islanders 1st overall
Bratt
Holtz
Shakir Muhkamuhsndoukinnn
Sharangovich
Zacha
Wood
Foote
Kuokkanen
Johnson
Boqvist
Merkley
Walsh
McLeod
Bastian
Butcher
Subban
Studenic

Other Devil fans will be pissed with some names in there but I feel should be available for Fiala
Essentially anyone but Nico Hughes Smith Blackwood and Mercer available along with pick #4 this year .

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Holtz? Why is New Jersey down on him? I'd love to grab Holtz + Islander's 1st +a minor prospect maybe for Fiala

A Plus

Jun 20, 2021
New Jersey
Holtz? Why is New Jersey down on him? I'd love to grab Holtz + Islander's 1st +a minor prospect maybe for Fiala
Theyre not, but its fun to include them I suppose

In all likelihood Holtz is as untouchable as a prospect can get, as hes our first true sniper on the team, home grown, since the early 90s

Leeves

Aug 21, 2020
Holland better be on the phone. We likely don't have the pieces to make it happen, but man Fiala on McDavid's wing (or Draisaitl's or even Nuge's) would be a dream come true.

Weew, that would be fun to watch

Reactions: ujju2

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Line chemistry is funny thing. Truth is you never how players will mesh till they come together.

On Fiala...IMO, he still has a lot of potential. I think it's partly on him, and partly on the team as to how good he gets. He's got the speed, moves, shot, and aggression. Because of his talent, and lack of talented linemates, he sometimes tends to over handle the puck in order to try and make things happen. That's when most of his turnovers happen. I will be interested to see how Boldy on the other wing will work. It seems like he might be perfect as a high IQ, great passing player with above average hands and size.

Last edited:

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
No one's down on him... it's just the Facebook-level fans who only look at point totals.
Just not point totals. Nico and Fiala were very good playing games together. Devils need a top line winger and Fiala is that and fits in with the age timeline for the Devils core plus his game style is a very good fit as well.
Do I want to move Holtz? No, but for Fiala I would at least consider it .

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Who is Edmonton willing to part with? Holloway is apparently out of the question.

You know, them more I think about this if Guerin were willing to take some cap dollars back, meaning a small amount and short term, I'd move Holloway.

I think Fiala is a great winger who could improve his numbers no matter which of our world class centers he plays with. How much is he going to ask as an RFA? What is his agent going after as a reported dollar amount?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, EDM would be trading for Fiala's RFA rights right now, so they wouldn't be retaining. If they did make a deal first, then trade him, I don't see any possibility that they would be retaining if they are getting only Holloway back. He's a nice prospect, but prospects don't pan out all the time. Fiala is a 1st line player right now, or a play driver on a 2nd line. Trading Fiala straight across for Holloway, even without retention, would be a really bad trade by Guerin. It would be trading a Bird in the Hand for a Bird in the Bush.

CalderSchmalder

Jul 26, 2009
Vancouver
I wonder if a deal based around Boeser and Fiala could work, maybe Fiala and Dumba for Boeser and some additional asset(s)? This thread has over 400 posts though so I assume this has been brought up already.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I wonder if a deal based around Boeser and Fiala could work, maybe Fiala and Dumba for Boeser and some additional asset(s)? This thread has over 400 posts though so I assume this has been brought up already.
Fiala for Boeser is interesting... it seems pretty lateral, but I guess this would be somewhat driven by contracts and it does kick that can down the road another year.

If Minnesota adds Dumba to the mix would the Canucks add Miller?

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
How bad was the thread that (No Monahan) had to be added to the title? :laugh: I love this site sometimes.

Fiala for Boeser is interesting... it seems pretty lateral, but I guess this would be somewhat driven by contracts and it does kick that can down the road another year.

Boes was by far our best player of last year. I think it would be a mistake to trade him. Miller should be available for the right package. The issue with trading one of our top sixers is that we're just creating another hole while patching another.

I think Benning is more likely to try and use picks and/or prospects in a package. Seems like something he would do to try and attain a quick playoff berth.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
How bad was the thread that (No Monahan) had to be added to the title? :laugh: I love this site sometimes.

Boes was by far our best player of last year. I think it would be a mistake to trade him. Miller should be available for the right package. The issue with trading one of our top sixers is that we're just creating another hole while patching another.

I think Benning is more likely to try and use picks and/or prospects in a package. Seems like something he would do to try and attain a quick playoff berth.
I admit that I don't see a compelling reason for Vancouver to swap Boeser for Fiala. I think they're very comparable players right now, but ultimately Boeser's a year younger, has a year left on his deal and is homegrown... seems weird to move on from that.

I'm less comfortable with the idea of moving Fiala for Miller, but if the Canucks want a forward would they be interested in Greenway + futures?

Reactions: vanarchy

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
I admit that I don't see a compelling reason for Vancouver to swap Boeser for Fiala. I think they're very comparable players right now, but ultimately Boeser's a year younger, has a year left on his deal and is homegrown... seems weird to move on from that.

I'm less comfortable with the idea of moving Fiala for Miller, but if the Canucks want a forward would they be interested in Greenway + futures?
Fiala was especially noticeable in our last playoff meeting. I think a player that has a "playoff mode" like he does will fetch a great return.

I'm still convinced it will Minnesota and Buffalo that wind up as trading partners this summer. Maybe not for Eichel but Reinhart?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Fiala was especially noticeable in our last playoff meeting. I think a player that has a "playoff mode" like he does will fetch a great return.

I'm still convinced it will Minnesota and Buffalo that wind up as trading partners this summer. Maybe not for Eichel but Reinhart?
It really depends on the cost for Reinhart. I think we'd regret giving up Fiala for him, but I'm not sure what else they'd be after there.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I would be surprised if Fiala is moved. IMO, he is a player with all the tools that has yet to reach his potential...playing with Hartamn, Victor Rask, Bonino, Bjugstad, and a broken Marcus Johansson is not doing him any favors.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna

Hell no, Dumba is free for Seattle in a month why would the Canucks trade their most passionate player who is near a PPG for a undersized rhd who has trended down recently...Would be a horrible move as would trading Boeser our only good RW to get a smallish LW in return who needs a contract.

Canucks should try to get Greenway and that is about it

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Yeah, no interesting in Boeser for Fiala from me; seems lateral at best, a slight downgrade at worst. Trading Petey's best friend would be questionable idea, even if it was for an upgrade.

Fiala is an interesting case though, after watching him closely in that Van-Minn series he definitely caught my attention. Drives his line, flashy, takes a ton of shots, but also whined to the refs a ton and seemed like he got put off his game easily by the opponent messing with him.

I came away from the series wondering why he didn't post more dominant stats in the regular season, and am slightly confused by the extended cold streaks he seems to go through in the last couple years. Seems to have star potential though.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Hell no, Dumba is free for Seattle in a month why would the Canucks trade their most passionate player who is near a PPG for a undersized rhd who has trended down recently...Would be a horrible move as would trading Boeser our only good RW to get a smallish LW in return who needs a contract.

Canucks should try to get Greenway and that is about it
Cart in front of the horse regarding Seattle, but I'd understand if they don't want to part with Miller.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Yeah, no interesting in Boeser for Fiala from me; seems lateral at best, a slight downgrade at worst. Trading Petey's best friend would be questionable idea, even if it was for an upgrade.

Fiala is an interesting case though, after watching him closely in that Van-Minn series he definitely caught my attention. Drives his line, flashy, takes a ton of shots, but also whined to the refs a ton and seemed like he got put off his game easily by the opponent messing with him.

I came away from the series wondering why he didn't post more dominant stats in the regular season, and am slightly confused by the extended cold streaks he seems to go through in the last couple years. Seems to have star potential though.
He hasn't been given much to work with in terms of linemates, so if he's not scoring his line is likely to go cold. There aren't a lot of wingers in the league that just put up a constant stream of goals all year; most run hot and cold like that.

The playoffs are something that both he and Kaprizov need to adjust to. Between the two I thought Fiala was the more dangerous player against the Golden Knights, and maybe part of that was previous playoff experience. Regular season NHL and Playoff NHL are two different situations, and this year's probably a better example of that than ever. Again though, a skilled linemate or two should make a difference there.

Reactions: Szechwan

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

I wasn't a fan of Fiala when he first came to MN, and still have issues with his turnovers and odd retaliatory, or just dumb penalty, but have come to appreciate him more and more. Unlike many smallish, skilled players he is strong on his skates, and very strong on the puck. His penalties come about because he is combative and competitive...not the worst thing in the world, though I'd prefer if he had someone like Foligno or Greenway on his line to take care of the guys who bait him. The bottom line is that the guy gives effort...he is not a floater.

His production should be higher than it is, but I put that down to him having some mediocre at best linemates. His best linemate last year, arguably, was Ryan Hartman, who is a decent bottom six RW, yet was playing #2C. Not his fault, but that's not going to help Fiala any.

Like Boeser, but I just don't see the need for this trade for either team. If Boldy goes on the other wing on his line and plays like i think he can (top 6 W minimum)then Fiala should start to put up more points both at 5v5 and on the PP.

Reactions: Szechwan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad