Friedman: 5 teams in on Ekholm - BOS and WPG definitely, and potentially MTL, TOR, PHI

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Curious as to what the ask would be from Winnipeg. Lebrun mentioned that NSH front office has been discussing Niku. But who's the other prospect? As good as Ekholm is, Perfetti, Heinola and Samberg are likely off the table. Vesalainen maybe? Torgersson? Stanley?

21 1st rd, Niku and Vesalainen/Torgersson/Stanley - Jets probably
And you have to add losing DeMelo (expansion draft) as a probable cost as well.

Reactions: Buffdog

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Vesalainen intrigues me as a Nashville fan because we don't have anything close to him in our prospect pool. Why isn't he sticking Peg fans?
I figure it’s 2 parts why he isn’t sticking with the Jets. If you are not top 15 OA or better, this organization does not rush prospects. And Paul Maurice given a chance plays vets over new guys.
Vesalainen has all the tools to be a impact player. Big and fast and has finish. It may take a few more years for him, but I’m a believer.

Last edited:

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
The price to get him for the leafs would annoy me knowing its going to come to him or Rielly in a year when both are UFAs

Despite all the wars in his game, Rielly is my favorite player so I'd be super bummed if he ended up leaving so we brought ekholm and signed him long term over Rielly, when rielly is considerably better and younger.

I'd only go after Ekholm if we deal Muzzin or Rielly(I want assets rather than letting such a valuable player on a great deal walk)

If we get ekholm and ca trade Rielly for an 1LW then I'd accept it and see how it plays out, but I dont want to get ekholm and see Rielly dropped down lineup when hes playing great or forced put in a year.

Either go in with Mo long term or move him, dont miss the opportunity we have with his contract

Pull a Carolina or Tampa and get great value for once for soon to be UFAs if they intend to walk/be allowed to walk

Reactions: Daeavorn

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
Vesalainen intrigues me as a Nashville fan because we don't have anything close to him in our prospect pool. Why isn't he sticking Peg fans?
Jets are just so patient with their prospects before they put them in the NHL.

Prime example this year is Logan Stanley. Unanimously declared a bust for years.
He was drafted like 16 spots after Laine in that draft. He's just broken into the league this year and looks like he belongs.

Reactions: BatVader

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Seems high for my taste

It should be very similar to the Muzzin trade, 1st plus 2 b prospect.

I really like Harris and Struble so I would not include them, especially if Poehling is included.

1st + Poehling

or

1st + Gianni Fairbrother + Gianni Fairbrother/Cam Hillis

Fairbrother and Hillis are names that every team has in their pool. This is the perfect example of what I wouldn't want to see come back. No offense to your example.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Isn't the Habs equivalent of the Muzzin deal

1st top 5 protected + forward prospect not named Caufield + d prospect not named Ghule?

1st + 2 good but not top tier prospects?

Reactions: Benstheman

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
It might be if you want to beat the other offers.

Probably Niku and Appleton.
No chance it would be Appleton. He isn't a prospect anymore at 25 years old and he is contributing on the Jets this year. The Jets would be making this trade to try and win this year, trading away a key bottom 6 contributor from their NHL roster wouldn't make sense. A guy like Vesalainen would be more realistic.

bpower

Aug 21, 2005
Is it wrong that I’m praying for the Jets to not acquire him? They are the best team in the North division and will do damage in the playoffs this year. The only weakness they have is on defence and truthfully, hasn’t been much of a weakness this year, unless Jets fans tell me otherwise?

Nice subtle troll, Oilers fans still hurt?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
1st + Vaakaneinen (expansion exempt and NHL ready) as the start of the offer for Boston is a no brainer.

The 2nd plus is the interesting make or break part.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Vesalainen need to beat out one of Connor, Wheeler, Ehlers, Stasny, Appleton, or Copp to make it on the top 9 which is a tough ask for a rookie, and Maurice has said earlier this year that he wants to have a vet heavy fourth line. He's looked like he can play in the NHL the few games he's gotten into this year though on the third/fourth lines.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Curious as to what the ask would be from Winnipeg. Lebrun mentioned that NSH front office has been discussing Niku. But who's the other prospect? As good as Ekholm is, Perfetti, Heinola and Samberg are likely off the table. Vesalainen maybe? Torgersson? Stanley?

Definitely something around Niku and 21 1st rounder, for sure, is what I was thinking.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Isn't the Habs equivalent of the Muzzin deal

1st top 5 protected + forward prospect not named Caufield + d prospect not named Ghule?

1st + 2 good but not top tier prospects?

That sounds about right.

I'd say the habs would have to trade something along the lines of this:
1st (top 5 protected) + Struble/Harris + Farrell/Mysak

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Montreal shouldn't be selling off first round picks. That would be a huge mistake for them.
Ekholm doesn't put that team over the top.
I'm pretty sure Ekholm doesn't put any team over the top and I'm saying this as a NSH fan.

That being said, Niku absolutely shouldn't be involved as a piece in a trade between NSH and WPG. He's not good enough of a piece to latch onto a late 1st imo.

Reactions: Gotskillz2102

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Mtl is definately in now. And of all those teams, the 1st pick coming from Mtl is probably the most interesting to the Preds. Habs also have the prospect pool to make it happen without having to much impact on depth. On top of that, they don't need to include a contract in the deal now that Chiarot is off the book.

Habs may be in but i think Bruins and Jets are more likely to overpay.

Reactions: Benstheman

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth

Lol GTFO. We ain't trading with y'all until the Jets move back to Atlanta

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I wonder if the Bruins take Ekholm and leave him unprotected in the expansion draft.

There's some logic in that if they think it shields one of the other guys they don't really want to lose. Alternatively, if they do take one of those guys, at least you have Ekholm for another year to replace him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad