GDT: #5| New York Islanders @ Philadelphia Flyers | September 1st | 7:00 PM | F/OTL 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Last time I checked a players ankle is within their skate.

And if you want to get technical, who gives a shit if it was the skate or not.

57.1Tripping - A player or goalkeeper shall not place the stick, knee, foot, arm, hand or elbow in such a manner that causes his opponent to trip or fall
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Stop blaming the refs. We played like garbage for 55 minutes of the game, got lucky they hit 3 pipes and made the same mistake as last OT by forcing a silly icing.

End of story. We’re on to Thursday
Stop pulling out the rulebook when it’s clear the referees decide when it is and isn’t convenient to properly apply it

I don’t care that the Martin penalty was called. I’m LIVID with the inconsistent nature of applying the rules in that OT period

Reactions: nyscene

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Well, that sucked! First concern is that of course Barzal is okay. It seems the Flyers do a good job of getting pucks to the net and their forwards are able to establish inside position. I would love to see us do that on a more consistent basis. We need Lee to cash in on one of his patent tips.

Isles need to TAKE the series. Last one is always the toughest.

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

Barz1

Oct 22, 2011
I agree that you can’t really fault him, but he didn’t really make any big timely saves either. I think I’d go Greiss in game 6 just for the fact that I think it would spark the team.

We are in big trouble if they need a spark to close out a series to send us to the conference final - I would think of starting him because he's fresh and played well in series

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Stop pulling out the rulebook when it’s clear the referees decide when it is and isn’t convenient to properly apply it

I don’t care that the Martin penalty was called. I’m LIVID with the inconsistent nature of applying the rules in that OT period

Inconsistency is a fair criticism, but to say that could not be called a trip is just wrong.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Isles need to be aware of icing the puck when you do not need to. You can't possibly win every draw and possession is very important in this series with either team totally dominate the other team. Philly seems to play every shift trying to have someone deflect or tip shots from the point or try to jam pucks in from the sort side. Take a couple of small extra strides to move down a bit to make a safe/not lazy pass to get out of the zone.

When you make a pass too hard for anyone to chase, it will result in icing. When the D pairing is tired, icing the puck is the last thing they should do. Repeatedly doing this will result in lost zone time, and benefit the other team.

Next game, the team needs to play with a much urgent pace, especially in their own zone, and make sure every skate is sharpened to avoid falling off the ice and every stick is wrapped well to receive passes cleanly. They also need to bear down on the shots when in clear and shoot more often from the point with traffic (especially Pulock) & aim for the net not high or wide. So what if shots from points get blocked, if you shoot enough, the shots will eventually find their way to the net or tired out or injured their forwards.

Also why only 44 and 29 constantly find their way to the middle slot area in front of the net in this series and most everyone else avoids that premium scoring area? Need more commitment and bravery from every forwards. Need more than just playing tag wrestling hockey along the boards. You need to sneak in there or fight your way in there. Flyers do not have that many big/tough defenders like Tampa and even if you get past this round, it will only get that much harder. Also do not forget to go for your own rebounds & try more wrap around attempts and use the live board to create a scoring chance.

Use math/physics to figure where is the best spot to shoot the puck & try everything to have at least one forward get in there each time there is a chance to carry the puck in or after dumping in the corner (except at or near the end of a shift).

Hope Barzal is all right, way too young to have a bad injury.

Islander Class

Jun 30, 2018
South Carolina
Infuriating how post-Dynasty we always seem to have a star forward (LaFontaine, Turgeon, Peca, Barzal) go down in the playoffs. Praying/hoping preliminary reports are true- and Barzy will be good to go come Thurs.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
We are in big trouble if they need a spark to close out a series to send us to the conference final - I would think of starting him because he's fresh and played well in series

Agreed, I really didn't feel the desire and will from most of our team tonight. Pelech, Clutterbuck and Bailey all seemed to want it. Lee had occasional fire to his game but in spurts. Ultimately, it's their name that could go on the cup, not ours. Seems the fans wanted the clinch a lot more than the players.

Moving on from effort.... it's concerning that Boychuk has been sidelined healthy when we have done a poor job of clearing the front of the net. How many ES goals against have been with Varlamov's view completely obstructed? We are getting killed by floating shots from the blue line. If they want to see the next round they need to figure that shit out. If they want to have a fighting chance in the ECF, they need definitely need to because that is Hedmans bread & butter.

Reactions: FourRings and MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
True - that being said, I go Ross for brass for some more size - flyers had way too many guys in front of net tonight
They did. We also didn’t get to inside the circles in the O zone. We need more pucks to the net and guys who will fight for the space in the slot.

Reactions: Barz1

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
By the way, I can't blame Bailey at all in this series or even the last. He has been great and definitely quite focused so far on this playoff. He has found the way to play up to his most effective level, set up his linemates with clever passes.

Yes, I would like to see Ebs pick up his play. I believe that he is capable of playing better. He needs to start using those good backhand shots that he has and keep his game simple but with a bit more spice.

If any players are too tired to play each shift up to their best, they really should sit to let someone else in to give full efforts.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
I had them in 6 originally, and honestly, the Flyers were the better team for most of the night. If we lost normally, I’d be upset, but not livid like I am because of clear douchebaggedness by that referee

Be better on Thursday and close them out

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I had them in 6 originally, and honestly, the Flyers were the better team for most of the night. If we lost normally, I’d be upset, but not livid like I am because of clear douchebaggedness by that referee

Be better on Thursday and close them out

I had Isles in 6 or 7 as well. It's interesting how emotions can run through pre-conceived expectations like a freight train. Heading into a game 6 up 3-2 would've sounded good to many of us, yet we are miserable.

Hoping the day off is used well by these guys. There was no chip on their shoulder coming into tonight, maybe there will be heading into Thursday.

Reactions: MJF

nyscene

Jul 26, 2006
PANIC!
I don't blame Chris Lee for the loss--I do blame him for not calling a black & white penalty in OT.

Is there a good chance the Isles still lose? Probably. But I mean--that's just stupid. The fact that the goal was shortly thereafter just annoys me more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad