GDT: #5| New York Islanders @ Philadelphia Flyers | September 1st | 7:00 PM | F/OTL 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
Not at all blaming the refs for the loss, just a few.calls (or non-call)
They lost because they played 55 mins

This.

To hell with the rules! That's what I say..

Let's continue to allow the referees to do whatever they want to, so sophisticated fans can marvel at their own fan-intellect superiority, and then lecture those of us who expect basic competency from the officials..

Reactions: Barz1

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I had Isles in 6 or 7 as well. It's interesting how emotions can run through pre-conceived expectations like a freight train. Heading into a game 6 up 3-2 would've sounded good to many of us, yet we are miserable.

Hoping the day off is used well by these guys. There was no chip on their shoulder coming into tonight, maybe there will be heading into Thursday.
I know @Duanesutter12 and I had this going 7 games.

I hope we are wrong.

Reactions: Duanesutter12

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Tough loss and now Philadelphia has momentum and their players that were struggling are feeling better.

I thought the defense was a little too tentative at their own blue line tonight and didn't do a good job holding it. The Flyers are dangerous when they get speed and back you off, how many times did they gain the line and hit the trailing player tonight? That's what they're looking for and giving them the room and speed to do that is a terrible idea. The three on one just can't happen, we need more awareness of what's happening and should be in better position on 50-50 plays. This team doesn't rely on hope plays to win so make sure you aren't on the offensive goal line when the puck is being turned over in the neutral zone.

Leddy and Pulock struggled tonight. Once Barzal went down and the lines went into a blender it turned into a run and gun game, which isn't good. Beauvillier was being targeted all night and it seemed to knock him off his game a little bit. Still had an opportunity to win and didn't cash in. Hard to be too upset given they came back late again, but I'd like them to stop being down like that.

Win Thursday.

Reactions: chico19341

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
He has been keeping Ghost on the bench for Hagg. That is inexcusable. Along with Raffl sitting over Grant and Thompson. They both suck. Poor NAK being stuck on the 4th with them. Garbage line that almost cost us the game and has costed us games.
This is our kitchin. Go back to your kitchin.

Reactions: Beacon Isles

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I’m still confused about the Hart thing. He didn’t play the puck outside the lines. A goalie isn’t allowed to glove the puck behind the goal? I never knew that at all. I’m surprised anyone did

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
I don't blame Chris Lee for the loss--I do blame him for not calling a black & white penalty in OT.

Is there a good chance the Isles still lose? Probably. But I mean--that's just stupid. The fact that the goal was shortly thereafter just annoys me more.
This. The way I look at things, if the game went to 3OT, it would suck but it definitely would not have caused the Isles to lose the game

Since the goal happened in such close proximity to the “Chris Lee is a dipshit” moment, it had a much greater impact on the way the rest of the game played out

Reactions: nyscene

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Its because we got a penalty for covering the puck behind the net a few years ago--we never forget.

Yeah I remember that now. There was also a missed call just like this in an OT with Columbus a couple of years ago. Same thing where they said the ref likely let it go because the puck was winging around the glass and the goalie just felt it was going to drop down and his intention wasn’t to play it. Hart was like the ever single bridesmaid who goes onto the floor for the bouquet but has zero intention to catch it and is trying to avoid it but it hits a pole and goes right into her arms. Still the letter of the law says call it

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
I’m still confused about the Hart thing. He didn’t play the puck outside the lines. A goalie isn’t allowed to glove the puck behind the goal? I never knew that at all. I’m surprised anyone did

I'm not trying to be rude at all, because there has been some legitimate confusion on what really is a black-and-white play..

It's literally one of the first things taught to goalies: You cannot freeze the puck behind the net.. even if the puck is near the net behind the goal line, you make damn sure one of your legs is on the other side of the goal line, or it's delay of game.. what Hart did was a penalty that is taught to goalies at 7 years old.. how an NHL referee didn't know that is not possible.. how an NHL referee didn't call that is inexcusable..

Not saying Chris Lee will be fired, but if he referees another game in the 2019-20 play-offs I'll be stunned..

Reactions: Costigan77

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

All goalies are warned about this when they're a child and do something stupid like jump on a puck behind the net to get a whistle. I thought the rule might've changed or something because they didn't call it or it got caught in some other piece of his equipment. That was 100% a penalty but shit happens. I thought the Martin trip was soft to call in OT too given some of the other things they were letting to (including another trip) but that's how it goes sometimes.

Reactions: eoin92

MichaelK

Mar 13, 2004
I'm not trying to be rude at all, because there has been some legitimate confusion on what really is a black-and-white play..

It's literally one of the first things taught to goalies: You cannot freeze the puck behind the net.. even if the puck is near the net behind the goal line, you make damn sure one of your legs is on the other side of the goal line, or it's delay of game.. what Hart did was a penalty that is taught to goalies at 7 years old.. how an NHL referee didn't know that is not possible.. how an NHL referee didn't call that is inexcusable..

Not saying Chris Lee will be fired, but if he referees another game in the 2019-20 play-offs I'll be stunned..

If the rotations remain intact, Gord Dwyer and Jean Hebert (who worked Game 3 and worked prior games of ours) will have Game 6. Wes McCauley will likely have one spot in Game 7 if it gets that far. The question will be who is the other. Eric Furlatt has been paired with him this round (they did Games 1 & 4 of our series) and has the second most playoff experience (to Wes) among Referees in Toronto. That being said, in recent years Francis Charron (the other ref with Chris Lee) has gone deeper in the playoffs.

Reactions: JeffNYI

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Yeah I remember that now. There was also a missed call just like this in an OT with Columbus a couple of years ago. Same thing where they said the ref likely let it go because the puck was winging around the glass and the goalie just felt it was going to drop down and his intention wasn’t to play it. Hart was like the ever single bridesmaid who goes onto the floor for the bouquet but has zero intention to catch it and is trying to avoid it but it hits a pole and goes right into her arms. Still the letter of the law says call it
Watch the replay again on the sportsnet feed. Hart knew EXACTLY what he was doing

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
My guess is Barzal had a deep cut in the cavity under the eye lid. That’s not an easy thing to stitch up. If they said his eye didn’t have any damage he’s playing Thursday 95%

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
We're well over the post limit, take the discussion to the series thread instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad