Post-Game Talk: 5-4 Devils over Lightning: Farewell Sol’enya

Status
Not open for further replies.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
The good: Stafford, Nico, Zacha at times, Santini, Butcher, Gibbons, Coleman quietly had himself a good game as well.
The meh: Mueller, Greene, Cory.
The ugly: Severson. Easily his ugliest game of the season, and will stand out as one his worst in my mind. WOOOOOF.
pretty much agree but i actually thought mueller played really well...severson had his worst game of year by far.. and greene but with the way the league is now when you play some of these top lines not all games are gonna be of the shut down variety ... Santini is developing into what we were hoping a top 4 and looking like he could be a shut down 1st pair guy.. can't say enough about what will butcher has brought to this team.. its nice to see a power play that you actually get excited for ..... and think its a real advantage... we have a good team here.. and this is the tip of the ice berg we have some fat times coming .. whether or not we can hang on this year will depend, but we are deep young and talented and have a decent corp of defense that are all under 24 years old... butcher santini severson and i will throw mueller into that convo is something to be hopeful for .. not saying its elite but looking like its the upside of what we had hoped for in the off season.....

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
Greene blew the kucherov goal

He turned the puck over and was slow to pickup his man.

Moore and Hischier had terrible coverage on the second goal on the PK. But having Moore, Mueller and Hischier out on PK was just poor personell management in my opinion.

3rd goal against Severson had the puck carrier and Greene was slow to pick up the shooter.

4th goal against Severson didn't take care of the puck and lost it behind the net. No other Defenseman or center was in sight covering the front.

Watch the reply. None of those goals were Severson's fault. Aside from possibly the weak play behind his own net, but even then there was absolutely no coverage in front.

yeah the play behind his net was probably his fault but i think also just credit the forecheck who wrecked him on a nice hit and he still managed to almost make the play the pass became a little to soft over to greene i just credit tampa on a nice play... there... severson is still learning.... and has played up to and beyond my personal expectations to this point..he has had lots of chances offensively too

Reactions: Aethon

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago

Moore and Hischier had terrible coverage on the second goal on the PK. But having Moore, Mueller and Hischier out on PK was just poor personell management in my opinion.

3rd goal against Severson had the puck carrier and Greene was slow to pick up the shooter.

4th goal against Severson didn't take care of the puck and lost it behind the net. No other Defenseman or center was in sight covering the front.

Watch the reply. None of those goals were Severson's fault. Aside from possibly the weak play behind his own net, but even then there was absolutely no coverage in front.

The 3rd goal Greene was covering the left side and Severson abandoned the right side to chase Stamkos from the right boards all the way across center ice...leaving Kucherov on the right side completely open for the pass and the goal. And it's Greene's fault for not getting across the ice fast enough to maybe get his stick on the puck to block the shot?

The 4th goal Severson had the puck and Greene went behind the net to give him an outlet. Severson, surprise surprise, f***ed up with the puck and caused a turnover almost immediately resulting in the puck going to the open man in front. Greene is somehow blamed for this as well.

The spin is unbelievable.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
Good win - but work on the penalty kill, taking crappy penalties in the first place, and general defensive structure. We were fortunate to get points out of this one. Our PK is horrible, we take really dumb penalties (Zacha - maybe Hynes needs to bench him like five games so he gets the message, Henrique), and run around chasing guys in our end - two guys in the same spot, big openings elsewhere.

Things to work on.

if you think that zacha penalty was dumb i don't know what to tell you.

Reactions: Devils Dominion

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
if you think that zacha penalty was dumb i don't know what to tell you.
With Hynes preaching all of training camp about being a harder team to play against and playing for each other, you can’t be too upset with the penalty he took. The timing wasn’t great, but I’m never one to bitch about guys sticking up for each other.

Reactions: My3Sons

Camille the Eel

Hall, Nico and others have said that they feed off the crowd and hope our fans show up and are loud.
Keep playing like last night and they'll show up

On Zacha, not just that penalty last night, but the double minor in the offensive zone in the third period against Washington. Cost us a shot at that game, just like he nearly cost us the game last night. You like him defending his teammate, but not that way at that time. Take the guys number and run him in the right situation further on down the road. (The Gordie Howe method).

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Yeah I think Zacha was stuck in the moment there. He had his arm out and looked at the official as if to say "no call there, really?" and I think he took what he felt was his only option at the time which was to retaliate.

Now, in time as he matures maybe he just gets in the guy's face and gives him a talking to but at this young age and in the moment, I think he felt it was damned if I do/damned if I don't...so here I go! I'm sure someone will let him know you did the 100% right thing, but perhaps not at the 100% right time.

I have a WAY bigger problem with the official standing there like a statue pretending he saw nothing while Gibbons falls to the ice and stays there. He was looking directly at the entire incident. If he makes that call, the response likely never happens.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

This is some spin job. I get liking Severson and think he gets more flak than he deserves sometimes but yesterday was just a real bad game from him.

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY
I've never heard the rock sound like it scored a goal on a PK clear. May not have filled the building but it was loud

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
With Hynes preaching all of training camp about being a harder team to play against and playing for each other, you can’t be too upset with the penalty he took. The timing wasn’t great, but I’m never one to ***** about guys sticking up for each other.

exactly this.

this is a brotherhood, not a neighborhood.

Reactions: EdisonDevil

FrozenJeffFriesen03

Oct 3, 2017
Swamps of NJ
Pretty amazing game to watch live at the Rock.

I have to say, this is the 2nd game I've seen where Severson looks a little out of place and out of his element when running things on the point of the PP. It's night and day how much better a first year rookie like Butcher is compared to him.

That's a pretty significant problem when you consider the amount of money we've thrown at him...

I also had higher hopes for Mueller. Know it's only been a few games, but he had one play in particular where he tried to clear it up the gut when he had pressure and tampa bay nearly had an easy one. Sure, these guys are still gelling, but there's certainly reason to raise eyebrows a bit if this becomes a habit.

Loved Santini's game. From our vantage point he seemed to standout the most in regards to the D-Corps.

That is all.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Did NBCSN show or talk about our new scoreboard and that it's the largest in the world for arenas?

I didnt hear it if they did.

I understand the new emphasis on sticking up for your teammates, but IMO that has to take a back seat to managing games. Zacha's penalty at the end was stupid and could have cost them two points.

Yup, I mentioned that last night.

A veteran knows to keep his emotions in check there and not put his team shorthanded in a tie game with 2 minutes left against one of the best powerplays in the entire NHL to boot.

Moore, Bratt, Mueller, and Gibbons pulled his fat out of the fryer on the PK to preserve the 1 point.

Last edited:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
the thing with Hall is that people are always going to notice his "gaffes" moreso than other players simply because he has the puck on his stick so much.

Hes got 5 points in 6 games and is averaging 3.5 shots/game. He is driving play. He will be fine.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
what Severson does offensively does outweigh his defensive mistakes.

You mean, what Severson THINKS that he does offensively?

Because that's this kid's greatest problem. He randomly starts to think he's Paul Coffey or Bobby Orr. Spoiler alert: He's not.

So he needs to work on his defense. If he just stopped it will all the irresponsible pinching and offensive gambling, he'd be a much better player.

The 3rd goal Greene was covering the left side and Severson abandoned the right side to chase Stamkos from the right boards all the way across center ice...leaving Kucherov on the right side completely open for the pass and the goal. And it's Greene's fault for not getting across the ice fast enough to maybe get his stick on the puck to block the shot?
The 4th goal Severson had the puck and Greene went behind the net to give him an outlet. Severson, surprise surprise, ****ed up with the puck and caused a turnover almost immediately resulting in the puck going to the open man in front. Greene is somehow blamed for this as well.
The spin is unbelievable.

I actually had to DVR that two times last night to confirm I was seeing what I thought I was seeing. It reminded me of a stick-and-puck game.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
You mean, what Severson THINKS that he does offensively?

Because that's this kid's greatest problem. He randomly starts to think he's Paul Coffey or Bobby Orr. Spoiler alert: He's not.

So he needs to work on his defense. If he just stopped it will all the irresponsible pinching and offensive gambling, he'd be a much better player.
No, I mean the clear as day offensive production that he creates every game. That is evident on the stat sheet and just by watching the game. He wasn’t good last game, but so what, it’s one game against an elite team.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
Watch the replay. None of those goals were Severson's fault. Aside from possibly the weak play behind his own net, but even then there was absolutely no coverage in front.

I'm not at all down on Severson, but I can't shake the feeling that this take would be different if Larsson were the name on the jersey.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I mean the clear as day offensive production that he creates every game.

I think we have different opinions on what significant levels of "offensive production" are for a defenseman that's considered excellent offensively.

One of the biggest reasons the Devils are having success this season is because virtually every defenseman on this team can get the puck up ice (Butcher, Mueller, Santini) as opposed to just Greene, Severson, and Moore having that ability.

That said, I personally, do not consider Damon Severson to be any sort of wonderkind offensive defenseman. His 4 goals in his last 160 NHL games would seem to suggest I'm correct.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Pointing out that a player had a sub-par game doesn't automatically mean we're "down" on them, want them benched, etc.

Its called being objective.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I think we have different opinions on what significant levels of "offensive production" are for a defenseman that's considered excellent offensively.

One of the biggest reasons the Devils are having success this season is because virtually every defenseman on this team can get the puck up ice (Butcher, Mueller, Santini) as opposed to just Greene, Severson, and Moore having that ability.

That said, I personally, do not consider Damon Severson to be any sort of wonderkind offensive defenseman. His 4 goals in his last 160 NHL games would seem to suggest I'm correct.
Nah, you’re just plain wrong. Like, not even worth trying to explain why you’re wrong, wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg