Not open for further replies.

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
I'm so glad I went to college around 99. I don't remember the dark years lol

Reactions: yrrebbor

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I'm kind of thinking that a McDonagh/DeAngelo pairing as an experiment wouldn't be a bad idea. I very much prefer McDonagh on the left side and he is our best defensemen. He might be a good mentor for DeAngelo to work out some of his defensive issues. Just saying. And DeAngelo needs to play.
Stylistically I can see where you are going with that pairing but McD should be playing 22-26 minutes a game. Would you be ready to play ADA that many minutes?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I'm so glad I went to college around 99. I don't remember the dark years lol
Some of the dark years were not so bad. We had bad goaltending and questionable defense but we still had Leetch. We had Bure for a little while. The FLY line was fun. I still watched the games when able. The debates about players were much like today. Back then it was stuff like we can't include our youth (Lundmark) in a trade for Jagr.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Dangerous game tonight. Wouldn't be surprised to see a 3 goals in 3 minutes from the Jackets type of situation.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Same. I wasn't able to watch much from 2001-2005.

I am more comfortable with an actual rebuild than a period of horrendous mismanagement though.

Crazy enough I do not mind the bad that much in life. The bad makes the good that much sweeter. If we won the cup every year from 1921-1993 would 1994 have been special?

xsniper11x

Jul 12, 2002
Visit site
As tends to happens when coaches start feeling some heat, AV is playing it "safe." This means vets and know commodities over rookies and newcomers, as he knows his margin for error is diminishing. This is why every fan hates their coaches decision making after several years. We're in it for the long game, a coach in AV's position is in it for the next game.

A new coach with a long leash would experiment with ADA or Shatty w/ McD and show some patience. AV no longer has that leash and just isn't willing to take risks at this point (even though anyone of our RD's with McD is a risk at this point).

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
As tends to happens when coaches start feeling some heat, AV is playing it "safe." This means vets and know commodities over rookies and newcomers, as he knows his margin for error is diminishing. This is why every fan hates their coaches decision making after several years. We're in it for the long game, a coach in AV's position is in it for the next game.

A new coach with a long leash would experiment with ADA or Shatty w/ McD and show some patience. AV no longer has that leash and just isn't willing to take risks at this point (even though anyone of our RD's with McD is a risk at this point).

That is a very good point. Gorton might have decided to give AV 10-15 games to sort things out and if not, AV would have coached himself out of a job.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Some of the dark years were not so bad. We had bad goaltending and questionable defense but we still had Leetch. We had Bure for a little while. The FLY line was fun. I still watched the games when able. The debates about players were much like today. Back then it was stuff like we can't include our youth (Lundmark) in a trade for Jagr.

The weird thing was that the "dark years" were really never downright terrible tank years. The team tended to go through stretches of entertaining play and win some but overall the depth was so bad and the team structure and coaching was so bad it all just fell apart. Some of those teams really should have been better but when you have Ron Lowe or Brian Trottier coaching then what do you expect

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Stylistically I can see where you are going with that pairing but McD should be playing 22-26 minutes a game. Would you be ready to play ADA that many minutes?

No. McDonagh around his 22-25 and DeAngelo about 15-17. Tony wouldn't be getting any PK time--he wouldn't be on the ice late in games if we were up a goal or two. I like the right left thing. McD is smart enough to join the attack or back off. His experience could rub off well on a young player. I don't like him on the left side I can tell you that. To me he's been our best player outside Lundqvist and it's not a good idea to play your player out of position. You're kind of thwarting his effectiveness when you do and beyond that he's been injured a couple times when he's been on the right side.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

yrrebbor

Jan 21, 2014
New York, NY
Main thought for tonight are they MUST get a fast start. Force the forecheck and put the put in the net quickly.

Draw penalties, and give Shattenkirk every opportunity to do what he does best. It's honestly the only thing that has been fun to watch so far this season.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I don't know about you folks, but I still enjoy watching this team.
We have one of the funnest teams in the league to watch. Lots of drama here...maybe it's justified, but I just can't be that concerned when the longest losing streak of the season is 2 games.

Morten

May 24, 2014
how many ex-rangers play for CBJ? so we know the minimum amount of goals we need to score

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
They have to come out ready to play... IF they don't then something drastic should happen... McD relieved as Captain, something. It is inexcusable how unprepared they are (going back to last season)

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
DeAngelo makes 3 mistakes in a game and is scratched for the next few games; Holden makes at least 3 mistakes every game and now gets top pairing minutes...

Playing Miller as a 3rd liner also seems like a bit of a waste

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad