Post-Game Talk: #47 - 01/20/18 | rangers @ avalanche | 3:00 - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Team isn't good enough. Coaches are terrible. Henrik is stellar.

This is looking very good for a late season tank. We have enough of a winning culture that we can tank hard and come back next year with a new group and a new coaching staff and play better.

As much as I want to see this team tank, at this stage of Lundqvist's career, which I'm extremely vested in, I would want to see him win personal hardware than the Rangers get a top-10 pick and draft another McIlrath. This might be his last time he has a legitimate chance at winning a Vezina and it would cement him as a 1st ballot hall of famer. Would love to see that.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Team isn't good enough. Coaches are terrible. Henrik is stellar.

This is looking very good for a late season tank. We have enough of a winning culture that we can tank hard and come back next year with a new group and a new coaching staff and play better.
Do that, the Rangers don’t make the playoffs until 2022.

But, draft picks.

Reactions: Tob

Jauffre

Registered Grandmaster
Oct 10, 2009
Cloud Ruler Temple
If you don’t believe that Ryan McDonough is the WORST offensive player in all of hockey I don’t know what else to say
How about: A guy originally looked at for his good skating; stride, etc.. and his defense. A true shutdown type guy. Then we tried developing his offensive game (rightfully so, who would not?) and it DID improve. But his puck skills aren't good enough to be a 'native' I'd phrase it, OFD

But he's having a bad season in general. Yet other teams/GMs won't see that. They'll see Ryan McDonough, world class #1 Defender when he's healthy and playing to potential

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
It’s not even just the shots against that makes this awful. It’s the scoring chances.

Seemed like Hank had to face more scoring chances in the first period than Bernier did all game.

How about knowing that you’re missing key players you stop trying to Harlem globetrotter it every shift and just throw the puck at the net? Why aren’t players like Carey, Fast, Catenacci, Lettieri And DD just throwing the puck at the net? Just throw it st the net and hope for a screen or rebound. That’s how the AVS got their second goal. That’s how Buffalo got two goals the other night. Jesus Christ, that’s how the LA Kings beat us in 2014 for the Stanley cup. It can work sometimes. Especially when you’re missing skill and high end forwards.

Valli just said on the postgame that the Rangers give up the most shots per game AND the most scoring chances per game. That is unacceptable. It’s ridiculous. And AV just keeps chewing gum, not his fault his system is perfect and he’s a hockey genius.

Scoring chances were 25-18 Avalanche and high danger chances were 10-6 Avalanche as per Natural Stat Trick.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
It’s not even just the shots against that makes this awful. It’s the scoring chances.

Seemed like Hank had to face more scoring chances in the first period than Bernier did all game.

How about knowing that you’re missing key players you stop trying to Harlem globetrotter it every shift and just throw the puck at the net? Why aren’t players like Carey, Fast, Catenacci, Lettieri And DD just throwing the puck at the net? Just throw it st the net and hope for a screen or rebound. That’s how the AVS got their second goal. That’s how Buffalo got two goals the other night. Jesus Christ, that’s how the LA Kings beat us in 2014 for the Stanley cup. It can work sometimes. Especially when you’re missing skill and high end forwards.

Valli just said on the postgame that the Rangers give up the most shots per game AND the most scoring chances per game. That is unacceptable. It’s ridiculous. And AV just keeps chewing gum, not his fault his system is perfect and he’s a hockey genius.

Lettieri, DD, Zucc -- the small guys -- got rag-dolled all game. Little time and space for them to make plays. Avs play a heavy game. Seems every hit they laid was a good thump. We bleed shots every game because we concede a lot of point shots. It's AV putting the burden on Hank.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Lundqvist

December .936 (5-3-2)
January .933 (4-3-0)

Essentially 9-8 over that stretch.

Lundqvist is 1st in the NHL in SV% since November 1st, and this team is dropping out of a playoff spot. When your goaltender is putting up those numbers, you need to play better than .500 hockey.

Agreed...

Reactions: Samuel Culper III

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
When Staal is healthy Kampfer should be the one coming out. DeAngelo is better than him and can bring what we lost in Shatty getting hurt. Kampfer is so bad.

However I know it won’t happen and Kampfer will be out there every night.

Goddamn he SUCKS. AND! AND! Alazy penalty to boot tonight! So he takes a lazy penalty, concedes so much ice to the other team he’s just gifting them scoring chances. I can’t get over how bad he is and AV thinking he’s an NHL player. It’s insane to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The offense looked good against a team playing bad defense (Sabres) and against a poor goaltending performance (Flyers). It looked bad against a team playing good defense.

Granted we were missing a third of the top-9 and our best offensive D today. Still. Our offense has sucked for a month.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I can hear it already: "We had a lot of injuries but guys are getting healthy now. So we think this team deserves another kick at the can."

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
As much as I want to see this team tank, at this stage of Lundqvist's career, which I'm extremely vested in, I would want to see him win personal hardware than the Rangers get a top-10 pick and draft another McIlrath. This might be his last time he has a legitimate chance at winning a Vezina and it would cement him as a 1st ballot hall of famer. Would love to see that.

With the current team in from of him. I can't see how he wouldn't be the clear cut choice for Vezina..

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
While logic should dictate that the top line needs to play the most minutes of all forwards, I would be hesitant to give them over 20min due to elevation in Colorado (and the fact that the second of the back to back is coming).

Vesey had no business on the default 2nd line even with guys missing. Should have been Fast there. Miller and Zuke did not do anything memorable 5x5. Maybe Fast would have helped.

McD and Holden were good. ADA wasn’t bad. I hope he earns AV’s trust (who am I kidding) to be a top6 regular.

Hank is Hank.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Not a terrible game all things considered
ADA & Buch looked great

It was when you consider we essentially handed them 2 points due to the utter stupidity of our head coach.

AV may be an ok coach when it comes down to X’s and O’s. But his decision making is downright ridiculous.

c27oT9f.jpg

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
McDonagh is 52 in the league in P/60 among dmen.

McDonagh’s offense is not the problem with this team.
I didn’t say it was THE problem but it is A problem and a big one. Zucc whom I love has also been invisible for a month now.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Anyone notice the girl behind the Avs net with the blue home jersey blank? Dad was too cheap to get the seven "R A N G E R S" letters for her daughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad