Prospect Info: #46 Overall, RD Seamus Casey US-NTDP

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I think this could be part of it.

And Casey’s looking at the same depth chart we are. He knows there’s basically no way he’s walking into an NHL spot with the Devils. And I wouldn’t blame anyone for preferring another season of NCAA over Utica, especially for an undersized defenseman who still has a lot of developing to do.
I wonder what kind NIL a guy like Casey can get. Obviously not as much as the ELC contract but maybe enough to feel like he’s making enough to enjoy another college year.

I still think his earnings and growth are better served by going the AHL route but who knows how he feels.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
If he doesn't sign today, his contract cannot start this year. Also if his contract does start today, he is not eligible to play in Utica.
Why couldn’t he sign an ATO, play with Utica, and then his contract start next year.

Obviously, if he were to sign, it would be NHL or nothing, but I don’t believe what you’re saying is true.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
There’s no reason for apprehension about Casey signing or not, he wasn’t likely to be a valuable NHLer next season anyway.

Honestly there’s no guarantee he isnt another Reilly Walsh, maybe he wants a degree to fall back on.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I think this could be part of it.

And Casey’s looking at the same depth chart we are. He knows there’s basically no way he’s walking into an NHL spot with the Devils. And I wouldn’t blame anyone for preferring another season of NCAA over Utica, especially for an undersized defenseman who still has a lot of developing to do.
It depends upon his NIL deal. Where will he make more? At least in the AHL he gets some sort of signing bonus?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Why couldn’t he sign an ATO, play with Utica, and then his contract start next year.

Obviously, if he were to sign, it would be NHL or nothing, but I don’t believe what you’re saying is true.

He could do that, certainly, but I don't see why he would. He's in a position to get a contract year off (and $90,000 immediately).

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
He could do that, certainly, but I don't see why he would. He's in a position to get a contract year off (and $90,000 immediately).
I think, unless he secretly signed a contract already, that he can’t get his signing bonus until next year at this point. He could sign, burn the year, and get a signing bonus but the bonus won’t be paid out until next year.

I think from a burn and signing bonus standpoint, he could sign an ATO with Utica, and, as long as he signs his Devils contract before the league year ends, there would be no difference from signing tomorrow or in a month.

This is all weird though but that’s how I parse the language.

I also don’t think he will want to play in Utica if signing. He just finished his college year and playing a NHL game would be cool while playing an AHL game will just be his life next year. So if he does leave, I don’t think he would want to go to Utica, even if it’s technically feasible.

Reactions: Guttersniped

My3Sons

Sponsor
I think, unless he secretly signed a contract already, that he can’t get his signing bonus until next year at this point. He could sign, burn the year, and get a signing bonus but the bonus won’t be paid out until next year.

I think from a burn and signing bonus standpoint, he could sign an ATO with Utica, and, as long as he signs his Devils contract before the league year ends, there would be no difference from signing tomorrow or in a month.

This is all weird though but that’s how I parse the language.

I also don’t think he will want to play in Utica if signing. He just finished his college year and playing a NHL game would be cool while playing an AHL game will just be his life next year. So if he does leave, I don’t think he would want to go to Utica, even if it’s technically feasible.
Didn't he have to play banged up in the frozen four? Hard to see him playing at all right now, let alone on some sort of tryout deal.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Didn't he have to play banged up in the frozen four? Hard to see him playing at all right now, let alone on some sort of tryout deal.
I kind of forgot about that, so his injury should be added into the speculation bucket going on right now too.

Reactions: My3Sons

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
There’s no reason for apprehension about Casey signing or not, he wasn’t likely to be a valuable NHLer next season anyway.

Honestly there’s no guarantee he isnt another Reilly Walsh, maybe he wants a degree to fall back on.
He is way more mobile and better defenseman in his own zone than Walsh. Walsh was average skater/below average and did nothing in defensive zone. He was cursed from the beginning, there was a black spot in his fate.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
He is way more mobile and better defenseman in his own zone than Walsh. Walsh was average skater/below average and did nothing in defensive zone. He was cursed from the beginning, there was a black spot in his fate.
Walsh was a terrible skater in my opinion. Looked like he had ankle weights on. Even at Harvard he looked to have sluggish speed against inferior competition.

Walsh had Toffoli syndrome.... Toffoli syndrome is a reclassification of Will Butcher Block feet... it much more severe than the previous TySmith disease.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I talked to someone close to the situation, it doesn't seem like he will sign this season.
I hope he’s getting a bag for his NIL then.

I wonder how much thinking of his second contract plays into a delay as well. Delayed gratification while waiting but I think waiting increase his chances of getting a decently bigger second contract.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Walsh was a terrible skater in my opinion. Looked like he had ankle weights on. Even at Harvard he looked to have sluggish speed against inferior competition.

Walsh had Toffoli syndrome.... Toffoli syndrome is a reclassification of Will Butcher Block feet... it much more severe than the previous TySmith disease.
Im trying to be more polite. Overall didnt like Walsh for a very long time before it was a mainstream. Same with Smith.

And I was not a fan of Holtz pick. I really hope Im wrong here, because at least he has some flashes of good skill and good mind.

Casey is very mobile and creative with the puck on the move. So Im not ready to pencil him out at all. Im not ready to call him top-4 NHL defenseman, there are some options of the trade of him in my mind but its not Markstrom or Ullmark. The only one reason to trade him now is an outcome from conversation with him if he wants to graduate until the end. I dont want to see how he will become another UFA from NCAA.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I talked to someone close to the situation, it doesn't seem like he will sign this season.
That’s just great!

1713275558925.gif

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Considering that it sounds like Casey has a lot of family in NJ and apparently grew up being a partial Devils fan, I don’t really have any concerns about him going 4 years to UFA.

Reactions: My3Sons

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Anything beyond that? Hopefully the relationship is good and he sees himself with NJ at some point?
I was joking because I thought now that the season was over it didn't matter, all the responses are pointing to the fact that I might not know how ELCs work and probably should sound less confident when pretending to be an idiot, because I probably actually am.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I was joking because I thought now that the season was over it didn't matter, all the responses are pointing to the fact that I might not know how ELCs work and probably should sound less confident when pretending to be an idiot, because I probably actually am.

Well then, I took away the like for that post sir, now that I know you’re a deceiver full of lies.

IMG_6294.gif

IMG_6293.gif

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Considering that it sounds like Casey has a lot of family in NJ and apparently grew up being a partial Devils fan, I don’t really have any concerns about him going 4 years to UFA.
I have concerns and will have concerns until he signs. Partially cause if I were in his shoes I'd want an organization where I'd be much more likely to get PP time if I eventually get to the NHL. That's pretty much my ticket to a 10+ year career and UFA year contracts. That trumps being a fan as a child for sure, the location stuff I have no idea how much weight that holds for him.

If he doesn't sign this year I think it's fair to wonder what happened, and "Casey's not interested in signing here" is a potentially accurate explanation.

My3Sons

Sponsor

Sounds like a waiting game to make sure Casey is comfortable.

What on earth is going on? Casey isn't ready to start work? He wants to stay in an athletic dorm one more year? What's the point? His whole college experience was geared to get him to this moment. And he's got cold feet? Hopefully it's just transient whatever it is.

Reactions: Guadana

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad