Prospect Info: #46 Overall, RD Seamus Casey US-NTDP

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
We should sign him now. Dougie is entering Year 4 of a 7 year deal, after this upcoming season his deal becomes very moveable if we need to. Marino will have 2 years left after next season, and if he doesn't bounce back he could potentially be on the chopping block.

Getting Casey signed and giving him a full year in the AHL would put us ahead of the curve in case we need to make a business decision on the right side. next summer I want him to be in the position Nemec was going into this year, ready at a minute's notice.

With defensemen, it's really hard to overcook them in the AHL and I'm sure Casey would enjoy some big boy paychecks. Michigan is bleeding talent to the NHL and I don't think he has anything left to prove at the amateur level. Use this opportunity to get him up to speed so that he's ready when you do need him.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I don't think he will sign this year - think it would've happened already. I guess it could happen today, but I don't see why it wouldn't've happened yesterday.

I still think it would be odd to go back next year when it looks like no notable players are coming to Michigan next year to replace their losses.

Dylan Duke signed today.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Utica is in the middle of 6 days off, they last played Sat 4/12 and won't play again until Fri 4/16.

They're also last in the division and not making the playoffs. There's 3 games left in their season. Don't see why there's any rush.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Utica is in the middle of 6 days off, they last played Sat 4/12 and won't play again until Fri 4/16.

They're also last in the division and not making the playoffs. There's 3 games left in their season. Don't see why there's any rush.

If he doesn't sign today, his contract cannot start this year. Also if his contract does start today, he is not eligible to play in Utica.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
If he doesn't sign today, his contract cannot start this year. Also if his contract does start today, he is not eligible to play in Utica.
Why couldn’t his contract start this year despite no games being left to play by the Devils?

The NHL league is still ongoing and Casey would burn his first year without playing a game because he’s 20 as of September 15 this calendar year.

I just don’t know the language in the CBA that says if Casey signed on Thursday, it would have to be for next season. It certainly seems a little silly to say I signed you for this year even though I have no games left but I don’t know what prevents that.

IMG_2683.jpeg

I think we are looking at this language. So I believe Casey could sign on Thursday and burn this year but he would have to take his signing bonus next year.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Brindley signed with CBJ

Michigan is losing basically everyone. Does Casey really wanna go back there? Maybe he wants to be the #1 guy, who knows.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Brindley signed with CBJ

Michigan is losing basically everyone. Does Casey really wanna go back there? Maybe he wants to be the #1 guy, who knows.

Brindley's deal got registered for this season so he'll get to burn the first year.

Edit: Forgot that Brindley was a late '04, so he won't burn the first year unlike Nazar and potentially McGroarty/Casey.

Edit #2: Nevermind it does burn since Brindley turns 20 before December 31.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guttersniped

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Brindley's deal got registered for this season so he'll get to burn the first year.

Edit: Forgot that Brindley was a late '04, so he won't burn the first year unlike Nazar and potentially McGroarty/Casey.
His contract will not slide. He turns 20 in this calendar year. The year is burned.

Reactions: Brodeur

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
His contract will not slide. He turns 20 in this calendar year. The year is burned.
I agree his contract will burn, while he is considered 19 for this calendar year there is a specific slide exemption for 19 year olds who turn 20 between Sep 16 and Dec 31 of the calendar year that they sign their ELC in.

IMG_2687.jpeg

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Feel like we are saying the same thing. He turns 20 this year. So it burns. If he turned 20 next year. It would have slid.
Yes but I was adding this for completeness because the burn is due to a special exemption from signing his ELC as a 19 year old and falls into this special slide exemption due to turning 20 between Sep 16 and Dec 31, not just because he’s turning 20 this year.

Saying it’s because he turns 20 this year isn’t complete enough because if he had signed his ELC last year then he would be eligible for a slide this year. His lack of slide is due to the special exemption, not age.

Just being clear for people who are interested in the legalese of the CBA and how ELC burning works.

Yup, I just made that realization after looking up Charlie McAvoy's ELC. The CBA always makes my brain hurt. Sometimes it uses September 15th for a cutoff and other times December 31st.
The cutoff didn’t actually change, this is still his 19 year old contract year. The CBA specifically carves out this exemption for players who turn 20 between Sep 16 and Dec 31 in the year they sign their ELC.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Yes but I was adding this for completeness because the burn is due to a special exemption from signing his ELC as a 19 year old and falls into this special slide exemption due to turning 20 between Sep 16 and Dec 31, not just because he’s turning 20 this year.

Saying it’s because he turns 20 this year isn’t complete enough because if he had signed his ELC last year then he would be eligible for a slide this year. His lack of slide is due to the special exemption, not age.

Just being clear for people who are interested in the legalese of the CBA and how ELC burning works.

The cutoff didn’t actually change, this is still his 19 year old contract year. The CBA specifically carves out this exemption for players who turn 20 between Sep 16 and Dec 31 in the year they sign their ELC.
I mean sure but how would a college player sign an ELC in December (or prior). For college players its a lot easier to just look at the calendar year they sign, and then if there birthday is in that same year they signed, to turn 20, then its burned. Rather than worry about cutoffs, etc.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Brindley signed with CBJ

I think this could be part of it.

And Casey’s looking at the same depth chart we are. He knows there’s basically no way he’s walking into an NHL spot with the Devils. And I wouldn’t blame anyone for preferring another season of NCAA over Utica, especially for an undersized defenseman who still has a lot of developing to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad