Post-Game Talk: #45 - 01/16/18 | flyers @ rangers | Thank you, Bob Richards

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Sometimes a change of scenery and some bounces going your way to get your confidence going is all it takes for some players to turn it around.

Grabner has legitimately been good as a Ranger. Pretty crazy, I did not expect back to back 20+ goal seasons when they signed him.
Gotta be hard to play for a team that was doing everything it could to be bad while he was there.

Or maybe that experience prepared him for playing for AV :sarcasm:

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
2 votes on Nash tonight + Henrik 1 vote, and Ryan Mc. had a good game.
I'm pulling for McDonagh. I think his body is taking a pounding all around and I hope he is good to himself (reduce the shot blocking even though I know that is not linked to back spasms). I thought he played very well too.

Reactions: egelband and Ori

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
His even strength goals rate is comparable to Ovechkin's since he joined the Rangers.
Yup, it's crazy. Even with the empty netters, to be in that ballpark is just crazy. Kudos to him.

I wouldn't mind them re-signing Grabner if nobody offers a first for him. I think I might rather keep him for another couple years than give him up for a 2nd or something.

His speed is such a game changer and something we really missed when Hagelin was traded, most notably in the 2015-16 season because nobody replaced it. Throw in that Grabner is much better scorer than Hags was and it's even better. Players like Grabs and Kreider are great because they can create something out of nothing simply with their speed. Innocent plays become breakaways and even regular in zone plays they can win pucks that others can't because they're able to get there first, they can slip behind the D on rushes for back door plays. It's good to have multiple players with that dynamic.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008

Next game:

kjghgjf05_toovies.jpg

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
The commentary in MSG Networks this evening was entertaining. Quote; Rangers almost looked like they were falling ouside a cliff the recent week, but somehow manage to come back with a convincing 5-1 win. Nash 2 goals, 1st short handed goal of the season by Carey, Ryan Mc. almost scored twice. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: mrjiggyfly

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
Lots of Grabner's goals are opportunistic ones where he just preys on the other team. He uses some good defense first to get some of them. It's a real skill and an art, and one I could see him taking it elsewhere. He looks pretty confident in his ability to do this.

Reactions: egelband and bl02

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Do you think Staal is out long term? I`m not sure what happened with him - I probably missed the injury situation, and he had an assist too on that Nash goal.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The defense was excellent in this game. Less than 30 shots, wasn't it 14 or 15 in a row over 30 shots?

Nash showed up and upped his trade value, as did Grabner. Buch played very well. Carey continues to play well. It'd be nice if McDonagh could hit the net, but I thought he played well.

We still need to sell though. I don't want this team winning many more games. Rasmus Dahlin won't be drafted in the teens.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
The defense was excellent in this game. Less than 30 shots, wasn't it 14 or 15 in a row over 30 shots?

Nash showed up and upped his trade value, as did Grabner. Buch played very well. Carey continues to play well. It'd be nice if McDonagh could hit the net, but I thought he played well.

We still need to sell though. I don't want this team winning many more games. Rasmus Dahlin won't be drafted in the teens.

Or the 2s and 3s.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Personally I think Buchnevich looked really good in this one. Looked strong on his skates and made a bunch of great passes that apart from Nash's first goal-his teammates couldn't finish and it was nice that Nash finally made an appearance on the scoreboard. It'd been a long, long time.

Carey with our first shorthanded goal--heads up pass from Holland. Carey's played pretty well all in all--6 goals and 12 points in 32 games--used almost exclusively as a 4th liner. That prorates to 15 goals and 15 assists over an 80 game season.

Lettieri reminds me a bit of Tony Granato when he was breaking in. Small guy, plays physical, doesn't hesitate shooting the puck.

Grabner's a third liner--a very, very dangerous third liner but a third liner nonetheless. His goal tonight like his goal the other night against the Penguins, he predates on defenses and creates chances out of thin air. He doesn't need to play with very talented linemates to score goals--the fact is you're only going to get so much chemistry by playing him with more talented players. He's not great at setting others up. I like him as a third liner and I'd give him a big payday off of what he's done for us the last couple years but he's still a third liner. Having him there though also means your going to have a dangerous third line.

So Smith was good, Skjei looked better, McDonagh was good.

Easier game for Henrik tonight but he was still really sharp.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014

I know what you're saying and agree with the second part of your statement.
Just hard to root for my team to lose and lose and lose. I know what you're saying and it would be wonderful to draft an elite talent like Dahlin. Just not sure it would be good for the continued growth of the young players on this team to lose and lose and lose.
Plus being realistic this team is either gonna make the playoffs or just miss out. Unfortunately, thats netting us a draft pick most likely in the 10-16 range??? and probably in low 20's if we make playoffs.

Reactions: NCRanger

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Lots of Grabner's goals are opportunistic ones where he just preys on the other team. He uses some good defense first to get some of them. It's a real skill and an art, and one I could see him taking it elsewhere. He looks pretty confident in his ability to do this.

He's a world class thief. His speed is renowned, but the other thing that makes him possible is his anticipation and stick checks.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
The fact that anyone can root for Henrik Lundqvist to lose hockey games is just mind boggling

I'm all about tanking in Football. I guess it's because its by far my 3rd sport. Maybe if things really fell apart and we were out of it I could root for the better draft pick but the fact of the matter is this team is still in contention for a playoff spot. Way too early to be rooting for a tank.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
The fact that anyone can root for Henrik Lundqvist to lose hockey games is just mind boggling

I'm all about tanking in Football. I guess it's because its by far my 3rd sport. Maybe if things really fell apart and we were out of it I could root for the better draft pick but the fact of the matter is this team is still in contention for a playoff spot. Way too early to be rooting for a tank.
Yep, this is where I'm at.

If we were much worse off, like if we were on the pace from the beginning of the year maybe I'd be more in favor of tanking but this team is not bad enough for that. If Henrik got hurt or if he were playing like last year, sure, but that's not happening. So short of Hank going down, this team isn't going to be bad enough to get the top pick. Ideally we make a move to a team on the bubble for their first, then they miss so we have their pick in the lottery and then we make the playoffs anyway. I'd like that.

It's just that even with all this team's flaws and issues I have a hard time seeing them finishing any worse than maybe just out of a playoff spot and because of that I won't root for them to lose, well that and I just can't. Not when they're in the thick of it, even my rational sense knowing that they stink and don't really have a legit shot to win the Cup, I just can't root for them to lose. Maybe in a lost year, like the Habs a couple years ago when Price was injured. Not this year though, I just can't. Not yet anyway. If they go like 1-9 in their next 10, I'd start to slide that direction, but now I'm still hoping beyond hope that they can work out their problems and start to play games like tonight on a routine basis.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Great game!

Pizza Pizza!!

Wait..They were defensively sound, fwds were getting back to help the D, playing in tight units, crease was kept clear, lanes and shots blocked?

They decide that they want to start playing the right way in game #45?

I just don't get it but I'll take it..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad