Post-Game Talk: #45 - 01/16/18 | flyers @ rangers | Thank you, Bob Richards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I’d just re-sign him. He’s terrific.

He’s also 30 years old, going to want a nice raise and performing in a contract year. You could re-sign him for age 31-33/34 and hope he continues to produce this way (career history suggests some regression is inevitable) once he’s on a multi-year deal or you can maximize the asset by flipping it at much higher value than you acquire it at (1st rounder should be easy) and still have the option to offer him a contract come July 1.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I know what you're saying and agree with the second part of your statement.
Just hard to root for my team to lose and lose and lose. I know what you're saying and it would be wonderful to draft an elite talent like Dahlin. Just not sure it would be good for the continued growth of the young players on this team to lose and lose and lose.
Plus being realistic this team is either gonna make the playoffs or just miss out. Unfortunately, thats netting us a draft pick most likely in the 10-16 range??? and probably in low 20's if we make playoffs.

That's the thing. Outside of Tampa, and probably Washington, are the Rangers actually any worse than any other team in the East?

It just doesn't make any sense to "tank". If everyone thought that it's either win a Cup, or hope to get the first overall pick, the league would be a complete joke.

I'm not saying the Rangers are a contender, but they are a playoff team, or possibly just outside it. You don't purposely lose to draft 18th and get Boo Nieves, when you can make the playoffs and draft Brady Skjei.

Gravey22

Nov 19, 2017
With Stall having a hip flexor think he should take some time to get %100. No need for Stall to play under %100.
Need to take a look a defenseman down in Hartford. Would really like to see Graves in an NHL game. If not Graves then Gilmour, Pionk, ADA , Sproul anyone but the same old same old. We know what Kampher can do let's see what these Hartford players got!!!
Lettieri has brought some energy....Nieves had a good run with a recent fall-off along with the entire team. Holland was very respectful last night.
Heck it may even help Hartford who are having a tough go .... Getting some of these guys time in NHL may actually do wonders for their development.
Slats and Gorts need to tell AV get on-board or go home.
Although, actually thought I heard AV say perhaps it was a time for a system change? Did we see that last night? Seemed to be more structure all over the ice.... maybe just the inmates or an assistant Coach coup!!

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Forwards did a lot of back checking last night - have not seen it in weeks what should be a norm.

Cy Young Grabner is a definition of depth scoring. He’s a known fitness “freak” so I doubt his wheels would fall off in the next few years. 3/10 or 4/12 to keep him.

Buch should have had an assist hat trick if Nash, Ziba or McD were able to hit the net off of his beautiful set ups. He’s also been making good plays on D lately if you were paying attention.

Carey should be one of three SO shooters along with Zuke and Zibanejad.

AV made and keep making a lot of puzzling lineup moves, not the least of which is DD who should not be anywhere but the 4th line at most, and even there not on a permanent basis but in rotation with Nieves or Holland (who played well in his first game). Zibanejad, Miller and Hayes when everyone is healthy, without an alternative.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
Great performance last night. I thought we were in for another embarrassment after the Flyers goal but the Rangers persevered.

I'd like to see who would get called up from HWP to be the 7th d-man if Staal is out for a number of games. Kampfer would very likely draw back in but I'm interested on who AV and management feel is ready to be called up next.

Reactions: Brooklyn Ranger

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
With Stall having a hip flexor think he should take some time to get %100. No need for Stall to play under %100.
Need to take a look a defenseman down in Hartford. Would really like to see Graves in an NHL game. If not Graves then Gilmour, Pionk, ADA , Sproul anyone but the same old same old. We know what Kampher can do let's see what these Hartford players got!!!
Lettieri has brought some energy....Nieves had a good run with a recent fall-off along with the entire team. Holland was very respectful last night.
Heck it may even help Hartford who are having a tough go .... Getting some of these guys time in NHL may actually do wonders for their development.
Slats and Gorts need to tell AV get on-board or go home.
Although, actually thought I heard AV say perhaps it was a time for a system change? Did we see that last night? Seemed to be more structure all over the ice.... maybe just the inmates or an assistant Coach coup!!

Please don't make statements like these unless you a verifiable source and link. :sarcasm:

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
That's the thing. Outside of Tampa, and probably Washington, are the Rangers actually any worse than any other team in the East?

It just doesn't make any sense to "tank". If everyone thought that it's either win a Cup, or hope to get the first overall pick, the league would be a complete joke.

I'm not saying the Rangers are a contender, but they are a playoff team, or possibly just outside it. You don't purposely lose to draft 18th and get Boo Nieves, when you can make the playoffs and draft Brady Skjei.
Pitt and Boston are light years better imho

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I would love to sign Grabner for another 2-3 years if we could swing it. The guy has great speed and is on pace for 30, plus he can PK. I don't care if you can get a 1st for him because whomever we pick won't be playing in this league for another 2-3 years probably.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
He will return a 1st for sure - 20 goals already this season and our lines is a mess.

As people have pointed out, he's an opportunistic scorer and his goals are individual efforts more often than not. So he's more immune to the constant line juggling than others.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
What was his issue anyway. He wore himself thin with some teams.

Not ripping. Honest question

I wouldn't say he wore himself thin. Grabner was great with the Islanders. I think fans expected or wanted more since he was getting breakaways after breakaways and struggling to convert them. His production was dropping and I don't think he was ever going to hit 50+ points again.

When Vancouver traded Grabner to Florida, the Panthers were disappointed with his preseason and the intention was to put him on waivers so they can assign him to the AHL. That back fired and Islanders claimed him. Vancouver knew this during his rookie season - he wasn't passing waivers and that's why they traded him. In a month or 2 when Burrows came back, Grabner was most likely getting sent down unless he put up great numbers and claimed his spot in the top 6. Sadly for Florida, not only did they miss out on Grabner but that first round pick, they passed on Kuznetsov and Capitals took him 1 pick lower.

Islanders traded him after 5'ish(?) seasons with 1 year left on his contract. He had some injuries and was going to be a UFA. The scouting report on him then was the same, he was considered a top penalty killer with great speed who can back the defense up and open up space. This notion that Grabner turned into a great player with the Rangers isn't true. He's been a pretty good, underrated player for 6/9 or 7/9 seasons.

I would love to resign him but it's risky. The money will be higher. Our team will most likely look different in a year, maybe even a different system. It could back fire or continue to be a great move keeping him on the roster.

Last edited:

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
As people have pointed out, he's an opportunistic scorer and his goals are individual efforts more often than not. So he's more immune to the constant line juggling than others.

Yes true, but recently it`s too many unassisted goals and 1 man rushes, you don`t feel the chemistry at all and that`s my concern. But Grabner is doing very well and we should be very happy about him and his contribution.

Reactions: will1066

slovakia18

English? I can't.
Jan 7, 2012
austria/swiss
I wouldn't say he wore himself thin. Grabner was great with the Islanders. I think fans expected or wanted more since he was getting breakaways after breakaways and struggling to convert them. His production was dropping and I don't think he was ever going to hit 50+ points again.

When Vancouver traded Grabner to Florida, the Panthers were disappointed with his preseason and the intention was to put him on waivers so they can assign him to the AHL. That back fired and Islanders claimed him. Vancouver knew this during his rookie season - he wasn't passing waivers and that's why they traded him. In a month or 2 when Burrows came back, Grabner was most likely getting sent down unless he put up great numbers and claimed his spot in the top 6. Sadly for Florida, not only did they miss out on Grabner but that first round pick, they passed on Kuznetsov and Capitals took him 1 pick lower.

Islanders traded him after 5'ish(?) seasons with 1 year left on his contract. He had some injuries and was going to be a UFA. The scouting report on him then was the same, he was considered a top penalty killer with great speed who can back the defense up and open up space. This notion that Grabner turned into a great player with the Rangers isn't true. He's been a pretty good, underrated player for 6/9 or 7/9 seasons.

I would love to resign him but it's risky. The money will be higher. Our team will most likely look different in a year, maybe even a different system. It could back fire or continue to be a great move keeping him on the roster.

absolutely, what i always say.
I have no idea why the people underrate him so much, i mean 2011 and 2013 he was always one of the Top Goal Scorer in that league, all see 2013 16 goals..but this are 16 Goals in 48 Games. would be another 20+ Goals season when they played 82. At the PO's he was the best offensiv player from the islanders 2013 ,not only because of his 4 Points.
Than 2014 he was with AUSTRIA the TOP Goalsorer at the Olympics-Olympics were played, Ovechkin, Crosby, Kovalchuk and so on...but HE was the Best golascorer (tied with kessel) and a top 5 in points 6 P in 4 Games.
No idea whats going on, what is wrong with the people to underrate dhim. Now he played well the second straight season, and all want tarde him or what ever, and nxt year he will scorer again 20+..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad