Prospect Info: 41OA: Trey Augustine

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Noted

I like reading posts like this so I know who's opinions and hockey insight to disregard on the internet.

There's a few who I regarded as knowledgeable, but most are not. As proven by your foolish comment. An example Zadina was a bad pick. Rasmussen is exactly where he should be. Neither a steal nor a bad pick.

You can lie or you can be delusional. Either way, It's good to know who is who on here.

I'd like to steer the thread back towards Augustine, but come on, dude. There were several better picks almost immediately after Rasmussen in 2017.

Fancy stats people, team journal/fan/news pages and a few internet scouting outlets pointed out the flaws in Rasmussen's production in his draft year. Holland and Wright ignored it.

The 4 players picked directly after Rasmussen are all better hockey players when healthy. Tippet, Vilardi, Necas, Suzuki. Then guys picked from 19 onward like Chytil, Thomas, and Norris (who Detroit should have scouted very heavily due to proximity) or a guy like Oettinger who was at the USNTDP the year prior to the draft.

Is Rasmussen Trashmussen? No. He's also not Wrathmussen either. The guy should have been picked in the teens or early twenties. Detroit reached on him because his size.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Noted

I like reading posts like this so I know who's opinions and hockey insight to disregard on the internet.

There's a few who I regarded as knowledgeable, but most are not. As proven by your foolish comment. An example Zadina was a bad pick. Rasmussen is exactly where he should be. Neither a steal nor a bad pick.

You can lie or you can be delusional. Either way, It's good to know who is who on here.
Lol, you're a spritely one. Thank you for gracing us with your genius. Now let me break down some basic knowledge for you that I'm sure you missed only because your ingeniousness is at such a high level that the basic stuff probably flies under your radar. Totally understandable.

There is a difference between "he was a bad pick" and "he has not developed to an acceptable level based on his draft position." Do you understand the difference? Let me know if not and I'll explain. And I'll reference a thesaurus with big words so that you'll be sure to understand, you warthog-faced buffoon (if you get this reference, I'll think slightly more highly of you).

"Michael Rasmussen was a bad pick."
"Michael Rasmussen has developed to an acceptable level for a 9th overall pick."

Both statements can be true.

He was a bad pick because better players came right after him. Players that not just fans and message board posters were clamoring for, but that scouts and other experts had rated higher. So that eliminates the hindsight factor, which you are happily using with your Zadina example. There was more controversy over the Rasmussen pick at the time than the Zadina pick.

You're looking at the Rasmussen pick in a vacuum. Most of the rest of us are not when we say he was a bad pick.

I like reading posts like this so I can channel my jaster-from-10-years-ago self and see who is worth being an asshole to. I don't get called an asshole as often as back in the day and it makes me kinda sad.

pLeAsE tEaCh Me MoRe AbOuT hOcKeY, dOtTeR!

Last edited:

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I'd like to steer the thread back towards Augustine, but come on, dude. There were several better picks almost immediately after Rasmussen in 2017.

Fancy stats people, team journal/fan/news pages and a few internet scouting outlets pointed out the flaws in Rasmussen's production in his draft year. Holland and Wright ignored it.

The 4 players picked directly after Rasmussen are all better hockey players when healthy. Tippet, Vilardi, Necas, Suzuki. Then guys picked from 19 onward like Chytil, Thomas, and Norris (who Detroit should have scouted very heavily due to proximity) or a guy like Oettinger who was at the USNTDP the year prior to the draft.

Is Rasmussen Trashmussen? No. He's also not Wrathmussen either. The guy should have been picked in the teens or early twenties. Detroit reached on him because his size.

So not "bad" then? Half of the most respectable scouting reports had him at or even higher where he was drafted.

Historical denialism and hindsight 20/20 can't change that. Despite that fact Rasmussen hasn't even hit his peak yet. Again, so we agree... he wasn't a "bad" pick, right? Hence why I found another forum member on here to disregard on the internet due to being FOS.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
There is no argument.

Rasmussen was a bad pick because he was universally ranked well below the spot where the Wings picked him, and almost every scouting report went out of its way to point out that his play 5-on-5 was pedestrian at best and that most of his points came on the PP when he was parked in front of the net and 16 year olds couldn't move him.

Now that he is in the NHL the flaws in his game are hugely apparent and it's pretty obvious that he still relies on his size to define his game. That doesn't work when you have guys 5 inches shorter and 20 pounds lighter than you who know how to do things like skate well and use leverage to knock you on your ass.

Go back to 2017 articles. Not a single person outside of Wings slappies on forums we're going "Wow, Rasmussen, what an underrated pick at 9". It was almost entirely "lol Ken Holland strikes again".

No one in the hockey world was surprised at what Rasmussen turned into: a guy who wouldn't even crack the lineup on a Stanley Cup contender.

Edit: McKenzie is the highest rating I can find for Rasmussen. He has him at 9OA.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
No one in the hockey world was surprised at what Rasmussen turned into: a guy who wouldn't even crack the lineup on a Stanley Cup contender.

I want to remind you that Jay Beagle has a Cup ring, but Beagle was an undrafted college dropout playing in the ECHL when he got a camp invite from the Caps.

No doubt Raz was picked too high, but I don't think he's completely worthless either. There's something in between, we're not talking about Zadina. (again)

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
So not "bad" then? Half of the most respectable scouting reports had him at or even higher where he was drafted.
False.

Sampling of pre-draft rankings from quick google search....
  • Future Considerations: 16th (May)
  • ISS: 10th (June)
  • McKeen’s Hockey: 10th (May)
  • Bob McKenzie: 9th (June)
  • Craig Button: 21st (June)
  • Jeff Marek: 22nd (May)
  • Corey Pronman: 19th (June)
  • Ryan Kennedy: 10th (June)
  • Dobber Prospects: 20th (June)
  • Hockey Prospect: 15th (June)
  • The Draft Analyst: 23rd (June)
That's an average of 16th for those counting at home. 9th was the highest. 23rd the lowest.

Historical denialism and hindsight 20/20 can't change that. Despite that fact Rasmussen hasn't even hit his peak yet. Again, so we agree... he wasn't a "bad" pick, right? Hence why I found another forum member on here to disregard on the internet due to being FOS.
Oh, you can't use hindsight? So when you say Zadina was a bad pick, you knew something no one else did on draft day? Because here's a guy who actually was ranked higher than where he was picked by "most respectable reports." So how can this be? Maybe you really are a genius. Or maybe just full of the BS that you're going around accusing others of being full of.

You should really have a more watertight argument before you go around doing whatever this is you're doing.

Reactions: jkutswings

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Okay:

• THW Alternate Rankings: 19th (January)
  • Future Considerations: 18th (Spring)
  • ISS: 8th (April)
  • McKeen’s Hockey: 3rd (February)
  • Bob McKenzie: 7th (Mid-season)
  • Craig Button: 16th (March)
  • Jeff Marek: 9th (March)
Over 50% had him above top #9.
No, wrong yet again, genius. His rankings fell throughout the season. You're using old rankings to buttress you're failing point. See my post above (or this link) if you're interested in bringing even an iota of informed opinion or integrity to this conversation.

How much longer are you going to insist on being dunked on?

Do better.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
[3 weeks difference] - "Wrong again, genius. You're using old rankings" - LOL

By the end of April he was projected to go from 3rd to 18th.

Rasmussen was listed fifth among North American skaters in the final rankings of NHL Central Scouting released last week. Various websites have Rasmussen getting selected anywhere from third to 18th.

You're not an asshole, you're just easily triggered. It's kind of adorable. 💋😘😙

jaster

Jun 8, 2007

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Reactions: jaster

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I am going to start a Teemu Pulkkinen thread where we can discuss Jan Mursak.

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
It was 2017. when Tyler Wright said that we need to get bigger and tougher. Ken Holland echoed this.

Since 2017, we have gotten bigger especially at defence, thanks to Yzerman drafting. The toughness is still missing, but man, that last draft was going ALL IN after toughness/grit-type of players on low rounds.
Like I said. Nothing wrong with drafting big body's. It's finding actually talented big bodied guys that makes the difference. Anyone can draft every 6'6" guy they see on the sheet

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Seider = bad draft pick
Zadina = good draft pick

This is because bob mckenzie told me so.

You see, the trick is you have to mix in lots of bad draft picks in with your good draft picks and throw them in a bag and shuffle them around and pull them out at random to build a hockey team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad