Prospect Info: 41OA: Trey Augustine

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
One of the heroes of Team USA’s Under 18 World Championships gold medal run was undoubtedly their netminder, Trey Augustine. During the tournament, Augustine posted a .934 save percentage and made key save after key save. He was especially stellar in the finals against Sweden, where he was vital in bringing the game to overtime with a bunch of great saves in the last 30 seconds.

Looking at Augustine’s season overall, one thing instantly stands out. Trey Augustine wins hockey games. During his unbelievable season, he has won all but five games according to Eliteprospect.com. Two of those five losses were in overtime as well, meaning that he got a point in 52 games out of a total of 55 possible games. That is a win rate of a staggering 94.545%!

Reactions: heyfolks

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Not surprised their first pick in the 2nd was a goalie (see Cossa thread). 6'1" is plenty of height. Local kid (South Lyons) and he stood taller in big games. Love this pick

Reactions: David D

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Here’s a snippet from the EP draft guide.

IMG_0044.jpeg

Very fast player moving side to side. Scrambles a bit, doesn’t track pucks from the blueline very well, and gives up a lot high.

Reactions: heyfolks and Henkka

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I liked the Danielson pick. Didn’t love but understood ASP. This is just bad. Undersized goalies shouldn’t be targeted in the first half of the second round.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
You need to take one a draft so I am not too mad about it. I find it interesting that the brass will take undersized defensemen and goalies but not forwards.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I haven’t been following Cossa much lately. He starting to look not so great?
He's been fine. GR had a few too many goalies and he had to play down in Toledo this year. Played well for them.

I like this pick. Good to invest a higher pick in a goalie every few years.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Was insane at the U18s for USA and had a .926 and .928 in his splits on the program this year. Hard to have an issue with the pick based on his actual ability to stop the puck in his draft year. He was consistently excellent there.

The tools/size part? Not sure. I think a 6’1 goalie can make it. Would have went with Fowler if I was going to go that route (think he takes up a lot more net for being the sameish height) but I don’t hate taking a kid that was fantastic stopping the puck wire to wire this year necessarily. I wanted to draft Wolf in his draft and he is the same size and I wish we had him in our system.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
To me this pick is an admission of a swing&miss on Cossa. Tells us they no longer feel confident he’ll be the guy. The scouting dept needs a revamp.

I don't know if it's that, but Augustine isn't really any better. Look at the graphic. The kid gives up a lot of high shots, and it's not due to his size. It's his technique that's the problem. He's the opposite of fundamentally sound. The kid does a lot of scrambling.

Was insane at the U18s for USA and had a .926 and .928 in his splits on the program this year. Hard to have an issue with the pick based on his actual ability to stop the puck in his draft year. He was consistently excellent there.

The tools/size part? Not sure. I think a 6’1 goalie can make it. Would have went with Fowler if I was going to go that route, but I don’t hate taking a kid that was fantastic stopping the puck wire to wire this year necessarily. I wanted to draft Wolf in his draft and he is the same size and I wish we had him in our system.

Against whom did the USA play? Team USA had by far the easiest bracket in the tournament.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
To me this pick is an admission of a swing&miss on Cossa. Tells us they no longer feel confident he’ll be the guy. The scouting dept needs a revamp.
This is wildly inaccurate. We have no good goalies in our pipeline because the college ones all keep leaving and signing elsewhere. Cossa's 2023 has been very solid as he adjusts to the pro game.

My only issue with this pick is I have no faith in us retaining him.

Petruzelli and Gylander leaving tells me we don't commit to our college goalie prospects enough. Losing both of them were unforced errors.

Last edited:

Leibinger6

Jul 26, 2018
I dunno, I feel like a solid goalie can be found through trade and FA. Look at this year’s Vezina winner. He’ll be an average starter at best. I don’t understand Steve’s philosophy here coming from the old elite Wings dynasty where management took risks at talent. Everyone he picks are seemingly safe mid-low line/pairing players.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023

No, it's not. My god.

only a 99% save percentage on shots to the chest? we found zadina's dream goaltender.

So wait... that one goal to the chest... how the f*** did that go in? Is he like Goldie Hawn in Death Becomes Her "I can see right through you?"

Because if so... we just got our goalie for the next 50 years, boyos.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Don’t disagree with drafting a goalie. But taking one this early with so many good skaters on the board is not something I would have considered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad