Prospect Info: #4 Sam Bennett

xMatMcC

Jun 27, 2014
NL
Anybody know what number Sam will be wearing with Calgary? Looking at jerseys for the collection! Cheers

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think everyone kind of knew that he was going to be going beast mode down there.

He just trained and practiced with NHLers for the past few months, his game is far above most people's at the CHL level anyways; now add on the fact he was given a great experience over the past few months...

This kid's the real deal. I cannot wait to have two 60+ point centers in Calgary!!

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I actually don't think people realize how much they are going to love Bennett. He's going to be a fan favourite almost immediately. I think it was HighLifeMan that said on the main board and I completely agree, that he plays like a Theo Fleury but in a bigger body. I really cannot express how excited I am about him. I have no idea if he will ever be that prolific of a scorer in the NHL, it's not impossible and I expect him to produce extremely well, but he offers a ton to be excited about.

Shawnofthedeadz

Jan 18, 2013
I actually don't think people realize how much they are going to love Bennett. He's going to be a fan favourite almost immediately. I think it was HighLifeMan that said on the main board and I completely agree, that he plays like a Theo Fleury but in a bigger body. I really cannot express how excited I am about him. I have no idea if he will ever be that prolific of a scorer in the NHL, it's not impossible and I expect him to produce extremely well, but he offers a ton to be excited about.

Well I wouldn't be too upset if he doesn't get 2 points every night in the NHL! No doubt he has the talent to rip it up though! Still think he was still the true #1 of last draft and the pull up thing was so overblown. Glad it happened though, as now we have a pure stud on our hands.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Bennett and Monahan are the perfect duo. They both have different styles, but both styles are needed.

Aug 3, 2010

How dare you, sir. I expect a mod to know his sources. :sarcasm:

But yes, in my limited viewings plus from the opinions of some of my friends in the area who have watched him play, he's got the whole package. I'm actually beginning to feel like the Flames, had they had a top-two pick, would have been juggling between either Sam with no thought of Draisaitl in mind.

If he can hit the 200lb plateau, I've no doubt he'll use it extremely well.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I've heard lots of hockey analysts say that scouts are more intrigued by players that haven't really worked out much prior to being drafted or ones that are not as physically developed as others. I was joking about the pullup thing saying that probably elevated Bennett's stock. Ekblad for example is a man child, so the thinking is how much is a player like that going to improve physically. Ekblad is a genetic freak and he's going to be a stud I think. But looking at a kid like Bennett who still has so much room to add muscle to his frame, you have to wonder how much is he going to improve once he gets on a professional training program. That's why I said it was probably a blessing in disguise for him the way his season has gone. The attention and information he would have received from the Flames is going to benefit him greatly going forward. No one else in his draft class was able to do what he did and it's evident in his play right now that he has not missed a beat. I'm actually going to be shocked if he doesn't make the Flames next year out of training camp considering he's going to have another offseason of training and keeping in mind his character and how competitive he is.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Kids is paying amazing, I do get the fleury conparision but I still think his closest conparision is ryan Kesler. Speed to burn, hits, good defensive awareness, but sam is more creative whereas Keslar has the better shot. I see similar careers with Sam gaining the slight edge in points though.

Aug 21, 2014
Kids is paying amazing, I do get the fleury conparision but I still think his closest conparision is ryan Kesler. Speed to burn, hits, good defensive awareness, but sam is more creative whereas Keslar has the better shot. I see similar careers with Sam gaining the slight edge in points though.

I wouldn't mind a Kesler-type, just none of that tumbleweed crap.

keslerkartwheel.gif

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
I really hope he gets #39
then puts up enough points next year that no one will ask him to change it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad