Prospect Info: #4 Sam Bennett

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
100% this, though I'd have Poirier in for Ferland if he continues to progress as he has between now and start of next season. I personally think Ferland and Granlund expendable, especially with guys like Klimchuk and Hunter Smith in the pipe. Just thinking now, I really hope Kanzig pans out for us in the long run, this team has the potential to be one of the league's best in a few years time imho.

Poitier doesn't belong on the forth line ever! Ferland and Shore, with Stajan...maybe. If Poirier can't handle top 9, he should be in the AHL, I have high hopes for the kid, he shouldn't be rushed

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
Poitier doesn't belong on the forth line ever! Ferland and Shore, with Stajan...maybe. If Poirier can't handle top 9, he should be in the AHL, I have high hopes for the kid, he shouldn't be rushed

Take Ferland out of turnagainoutlook's lineup and bump Colborne down; I'd rather see Poirier with Bennett anyways.

Edit: this is what I see when Klimchuk enters the fold:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler
Bouma - Backlund - Jones
Klimchuk - Bennett - Poirier
Jooris - Stajan - Colborne

Jones will eventually become the odd man out, as will Stajan, hopefully by that time guys like Smith and even Jankowski (God willing) would be ready to plug into the lineup:

Bouma - Backlund - Colborne/Smith
Jooris - Jankowski - Colborne/Smith

Not as though we dont have a slew of other serviceable if not exceptional prospects to slot in when needed.. man is the future bright.

Last edited:

Shawnofthedeadz

Jan 18, 2013
Take Ferland out of turnagainoutlook's lineup and bump Colborne down; I'd rather see Poirier with Bennett anyways.

Edit: this is what I see when Klimchuk enters the fold:

Bouma - Backlund - Jones
Jooris - Stajan - Colborne

Jones will eventually become the odd man out, as will Stajan, hopefully by that time guys like Smith and even Jankowski (God willing) would be ready to plug into the lineup:

Bouma - Backlund - Colborne/Smith
Jooris - Jankowski - Colborne/Smith

Not as though we dont have a slew of other serviceable if not exceptional prospects to slot in when needed.. man is the future bright.

Agreed, except Stajan must stay a flame longer than Phaneuf a leaf. It's the unspoken rule, so it might not be for a while.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Agreed, except Stajan must stay a flame longer than Phaneuf a leaf. It's the unspoken rule, so it might not be for a while.

Meh, I don't buy that. The Flames have "recovered" from that trade way quicker than the Leafs have. Stajan leaving the Flames before Dion leaving the Leafs means very little.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Meh, I don't buy that. The Flames have "recovered" from that trade way quicker than the Leafs have. Stajan leaving the Flames before Dion leaving the Leafs means very little.

Staj's been a good player for us especially as of late. Clearly he's more of a bottom 6, roleplayer/defensive forward over the top 6 pass-first center we originally traded for him to be. He has a role now, and I'm okay with that.

I by no means though believe he needs to be here long term. He's getting quite a bit of salary to do something a few of our guys in Addy can, or a few guys that you can pay $1 Million / Year can; overall it's fine now because we have the cap room.. but 3-4 years from now, any little bit will help I think.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Seriously, six games scratched now. I'm getting ANGRY. They need to send that kid back STAT.

It's a tricky situation they're stuck in that I suspect has nothing to do with how good he's been...

1) If they send him back, they've wasted one of their four post-deadline callups. Calling him back up when needed would mean they wasted two of those callups on him. Considering they might still want to call up Granlund, Wotherspoon, maybe even Ortio when he's healthy, they're playing it safe with the callups.

2) If they do play him, he gets ever closer to 10 games played, which would be a waste of a year of his ELC and drop his RFA year back from 2018 to 2017. As long as he's at 9 games played, his ELC slides.

Poirier's played 5 games already in the NHL, so he has 4 left that I think they're trying to manage carefully before sending him down, and would rather those 4 games be used as injury replacements rather than scratching other guys who are also playing mostly well and aren't in the same sitatuation (Each of Ferland, Shore, and Jooris has pretty much established their contract/waiver status by now).

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
It's a tricky situation they're stuck in that I suspect has nothing to do with how good he's been...

1) If they send him back, they've wasted one of their four post-deadline callups. Calling him back up when needed would mean they wasted two of those callups on him. Considering they might still want to call up Granlund, Wotherspoon, maybe even Ortio when he's healthy, they're playing it safe with the callups.

2) If they do play him, he gets ever closer to 10 games played, which would be a waste of a year of his ELC and drop his RFA year back from 2018 to 2017. As long as he's at 9 games played, his ELC slides.

Poirier's played 5 games already in the NHL, so he has 4 left that I think they're trying to manage carefully before sending him down, and would rather those 4 games be used as injury replacements rather than scratching other guys who are also playing mostly well and aren't in the same sitatuation (Each of Ferland, Shore, and Jooris has pretty much established their contract/waiver status by now).

The ELC year is already done cause he is not a junior player. That 9 game rule only applies to junior players.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
The ELC year is already done cause he is not a junior player. That 9 game rule only applies to junior players.

Incorrect.

The ELC sliding rule applies to 18/19 year olds while the junior rules applies to 18/19 year olds as well. The difference however is how they're calculated.

Emile's Dec 14 2014 twentieth bday makes him eligible for an ELC Slide.
However that means he turned 20 in 2014 so he was AHL eligible.

The two rules usually coincide but they are not the same rule. The Flames didn't need to send him back to his junior team but his ELC can still slide.

You're pretty much always guarunteed two years of ELC slide but the Junior/AHL thing is more of a crapshoot. It sucks in Bennett's case because he turns twenty in 2016 so he has to be sent back down to Junior next year too, where he has nothing left to do. So we'll have to eat his second year of ELC slide next year and keep him most likely unless he really struggles in his nine games.

Last edited:

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA

So, what? Scratch him until the end of the season because they're worried about call-ups? Kid has missed so much time due to his injuries. He needs to be playing games. Since Hartley is clearly not impressed with him right now they need to bite the bullet and send him back. They have to admit they ****ed up and pay the price, or it's going to result in Poirier losing valuable experience. Abby is fighting for a playoff position. What if they don't make it AND the Flames don't make it? Then he doesn't play a game until September.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
I was gonna say since Byron is still on IR, they still have to keep Poirier around to have two extra forwards every game.

However, I am not content with the fact that Poirier hasn't seen a game for a fair amount of time. NHL practices and pay aside, seeing game time and having match fitness are completely different things.

At the moment, it's highly unlikely Poirier slots in to replace anyone in the Top 9. It's only going to be the 4th line he will be slotted into, which still isn't beneficial for his development. Having Wolf with the team instead of Poirier would be ideal since he's better suited for the bottom line. Poirier needs to be playing first-line minutes for Addy right now.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
So, what? Scratch him until the end of the season because they're worried about call-ups? Kid has missed so much time due to his injuries. He needs to be playing games. Since Hartley is clearly not impressed with him right now they need to bite the bullet and send him back. They have to admit they ****ed up and pay the price, or it's going to result in Poirier losing valuable experience. Abby is fighting for a playoff position. What if they don't make it AND the Flames don't make it? Then he doesn't play a game until September.

Nah, just scratch him til Byron's back and give him another 4 games if someone else is injured. Four NHL games is worth as much as a dozen AHL games IMHO

Ynnek

Oct 24, 2011
New Brunswick
So its looking like Kingston will be out soon and the Baby Flames are going to miss the playoffs. What are the chances Sam gets into a game this year? I think the Arizona game would be a great first game for him.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It would be nice if Bennett could come up and make an immediate impact on the team in the playoffs in his first post-draft year and go on to have a great career with us, but I just think that's an unrealistic expectation. I mean, when has a player ever done that? :huh:

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
It would be nice if Bennett could come up and make an immediate impact on the team in the playoffs in his first post-draft year and go on to have a great career with us, but I just think that's an unrealistic expectation. I mean, when has a player ever done that? :huh:

Chris Krieder

Edit: Didn't see in his first post-draft year. Probably no one.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta

An immediate impact for me would be something like, I dunno, maybe an assist in his first game and a goal in his second but that could never happen.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Chris Krieder

Edit: Didn't see in his first post-draft year. Probably no one.

t8jRrxX.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad