Prospect Info: #4 Sam Bennett

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
This was the right thing to do with Sam Bennett; as I've been saying, I have full confidence in what our management is doing with assets.

He'll help these guys in the playoffs down in the O; he'll be ready to rip next season.

It's good no one was also a sour puss about me quickly typing Kypreos' comment as I walked from one meeting to another :laugh:

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Was Bennett staying with a member of the Flames while he was up? Or a billet / hotel? Just curious..

___

I think this was the best choice for his development. I have little doubts he will make the team next season! Excited that he finally gets some game action in the OHL!

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
From a development standpoint it's a shame Bennett had to rehab through 2/3 of a development year, but from a personal standpoint, good for him getting a few hundred grand while he healed.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
From a development standpoint it's a shame Bennett had to rehab through 2/3 of a development year, but from a personal standpoint, good for him getting a few hundred grand while he healed.

I would say, he also got a good chance to spend time with NHL trainers and players over this span. I doubt that he was just sitting around for 5-6 months; have to assume he started training/rehab pretty quick. I wouldn't be surprised if he put on some mass which he was out.

I don't think this was a complete loss; of course it's not optimal to have your highest ever selection at the draft not playing. All things considered, I'm happy he's healthy and got to spend time with NHL'ers over the past few months during his rehab.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
You think it's a myth that games are tighter checking down the stretch? :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Maybe for your no hit Penguins, but for every other NHL team the games are tighter, less penalties get called and they are more physical.

No. The biggest myth is you saying these are "playoff" games. They aren't reffed the same, the teams don't treat them the same and atmosphere in the arenas isn't even close to the same. But sure try and deflect from what I said by changing the topic.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Watching Bennett's first game back right now on television. Maybe it's because the feed is low definition, but he definitely looks bulkier than last season. He doesn't look as lanky as he was last year. I wouldn't be surprised if he's closer to 190 lbs. now.

Solid first period for him. No points yet, but he's skating well, and isn't shying away from the physical stuff or from going to the net. He and Spencer Watson seem to still have that chemistry. Steege (on their other wing) is kind of useless though (not a fan of his).

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Watching Bennett's first game back right now on television. Maybe it's because the feed is low definition, but he definitely looks bulkier than last season. He doesn't look as lanky as he was last year. I wouldn't be surprised if he's closer to 190 lbs. now.

Solid first period for him. No points yet, but he's skating well, and isn't shying away from the physical stuff or from going to the net. He and Spencer Watson seem to still have that chemistry. Steege (on their other wing) is kind of useless though (not a fan of his).
he put on 15lbs this season while rehabbing. Plus whatever weight he put on in the summer.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Ended the game with 1 goal and 2 assists, and was named first star in Kingston's 7-3 win. He was the best player on the ice, despite showing a bit of timing/rust issues. He could have easily had another 2 or 3 points if he had his usual timing.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Pretty bad quality, but here's Bennett's first goal of the season. Always enjoy those goals that involve composure in tight areas.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
It's very exciting he didn't miss a beat in his first game.

I guarantee it's from the NHL practices he participated in.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

to play Devils advocate he could have been running on pure adrenaline too.

Also is goal didn't need great timing and his pair of assists were of the secondary variety. His timing is likely still not there yet but it is an encouraging sign. But it is far too soon to say he hasn't missed a beat.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
to play Devils advocate he could have been running on pure adrenaline too.

Also is goal didn't need great timing and his pair of assists were of the secondary variety. His timing is likely still not there yet but it is an encouraging sign. But it is far too soon to say he hasn't missed a beat.

We're not on the same page today? Darn :sarcasm:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

It's as advertised. I'm sure he'll shake off a bit more rust; but he went right to the slot and scored a goalscorers goal.

That's a great performance. People forget that this kid would have been a 100 point junior player last year had he not had a shortened season.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
It's as advertised. I'm sure he'll shake off a bit more rust; but he went right to the slot and scored a goalscorers goal.

That's a great performance. People forget that this kid would have been a 100 point junior player last year had he not had a shortened season.

Or a bad shoulder

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad