GDT: #4 | FLYERS at Predators | Tue. Oct. 10, 8:00 pm ET| FS-TN, NBCSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
Jarnkrok will be 1st C for Preds tonight. Yes, JARNKROK. We have a big chance beat them I think.

But I will be happy with one point at least too.

Phileeguy

Sleep with one eye open tonight, bird.
Oct 7, 2010
Philly
Jarnkrok will be 1st C for Preds tonight. Yes, JARNKROK. We have a big chance beat them I think.

But I will be happy with one point at least too.

Eh, I see what you mean here. Starting out the season with a tough road trip and getting 5 out of a possible 8 is nice, but I think I'd merely be okay with just one point here. Partly because, unless it's late in the season and there's a situation where the Flyers don't need a lot of points, I'm never happy with an OT/SO loss. But, also partly because we all would like to see the Flyers get off to a hot start.

Since it's my first game thread post of the season (Thanks, late starts!) a belated thanks once again to MSE for his always top notch work, and LGF.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We have Patrick, Leier, Laughton, Hagg and Sanheim in the lineup, with Weal, Konency and Provorov, that's a lot of youth added the last two years.
Odds are some of Vorobyev, Lindblom, NAK, MV, Morin, Friedman and Myers will be up by the spring.
By next TC we'll probably have replaced over half the roster in a 3 year period with prospects.
And that's before the "big drafts" start showing in numbers.

If Morin can't handle this as a challenge, we're better off trading him b/c he'll probably never reach his potential.
He can see Hagg working hard, improving his game, getting his shot and winning a job. Same with Weal and Leier.
Morin should take this as an opportunity to improve and show Hextall he belongs - the days of being given a job are over.
A lot of prospects are going to face this roadblock from now on, there's not going to be room to start both Friedman and Myers next year, and if Wilcox continues his good start, he's going to be a very frustrated young player.

Hextall will trade some of his prospects (probably for more draft picks) but I think he likes the depth that forces the kind of competition that reveals the character of young players - how do they handle adversity and frustration? Do they sulk or work harder? Do they accept the challenge or give up?

I think it's a mistake to see this as MacDonald v Morin, rather it's Morin v himself and Hagg and Myers and Friedman.
It's not Filppula v Vorobyev, or Weise v Lindblom, etc.
Hextall wants the young players to win jobs, not just by being more talented, but by showing they're prepared to play in the NHL, to show they've mastered the fundamentals, cut down on their mistakes, improved their hockey IQ, are in top shape, etc.
When a young player shows he's ready to play, Hextall seems to find a way to move out the veteran.

And it's not about age, a young player is NHL ready when he demonstrates it on the ice, we saw that with Provorov, we're seeing that with Patrick. We also saw what happens when you rush a player and ask them to do what they're not capable of doing with Laughton, and that even older players may need more seasoning, as was demonstrated by Weal two years ago.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
I want Morin in the lineup too, but we knew they were not going to stick 3 rookies In the top 6 to start the season unless an injury occurred. It sucks for him since he was so confident he had made it.

But....why not? When the established vets are frequently making rookie mistakes and not learning from then, why would it matter so much if it was the talented prospects doing it instead?

x DeCruze

Dec 7, 2012
Wish we could scratch Weise and run 7 dmen. Give Morin a lot of Pk minutes. Double shift G at times with Patrick and Konecny, or even try whoever looks like they are going on the 4th line.

Reactions: Rebels57

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Josi is a GTD tonight. Samuel Girard would make his debut if needed. Only 19, Girard is a smallish offensive Dman from the Q.

Edit: updated lines...

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad