4-5 years from now, Calle Jarnkrok will be a...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Nobody is saying he's irreplaceable...we're saying he couldn't be replaced effectively by Jarnkrok.

Emmerton wasn't even in the NHL when Jarnkrok got traded, in fact had Jarnkrok not been planning on going back to Sweden he probably would have been called up instead of Emmerton when Cory got the call.

I thought the whole "back to Sweden" thing was not very reliable info, no?

Or was there a legit source for it?

Genuinely inquiring....

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
You and I have a very different opinion of what the term "physical" means when applied to hockey.
Throwing open ice hits? Sending people over the boards? Because you don't have to do any of that to be a physical player. Finishing a check is considered a hit, as it should be. Just because he doesn't concuss the guy doesn't mean it isn't physical. Even when you see a hit coming and brace for it you still feel it, trust me. You're talking about guys skating at 25-30 miles per hour.

I'm not trying to **** on Miller...he's solid in his role but I just disagree he's some irreplaceable, shutdown player. And I'm not saying it had to be Miller who sat for Jarnkrok, could have been any one of Andersson, Emmerton, or Bert.
Not disagreeing. But what I do disagree with is how people have made Jarnkrok out to be some irreplaceable player. He's a good prospect. Sucks losing him. But it's not the end of the world.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I thought the whole "back to Sweden" thing was not very reliable info, no?

Or was there a legit source for it?

Genuinely inquiring....

From the Prospects board's Jarnkrok thread. I haven't personally read the article:

Btw, he confirmed to Swedish press that he was close to going back to Sweden: http://arbetarbladet.se/sport/ishockey/1.7003458-jarnkrok-jag-var-nara-att-flytta-hem-till-brynas- (in Swedish)

He said he was having a tough time in AHL and with the playing style, as well as realizing that he was low down on the depth chart for Detroit, making him think he might as well head back.

So, not a completely bad deal Holland made, he was stuck between losing him completely or moving him for something.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
From the Prospects board's Jarnkrok thread. I haven't personally read the article:
Hah. This (the article / whole situation) is funny.

But...but...Calle and his agent dismissed any rumor like that once the trade happened. Again, I point to public relations. Of course Calle and his agent are going to dismiss it when going to a new team. Doesn't quite look good going to a new team unless you do. Not quite the image you want to portray. But now that he's done pretty well for a couple games you can spin it as an underdog, stuck with it story. Win-Win for Calle and Nashville. I love PR.

edit: It's actually a win-win-win. Calle, Nashville and the easy puff piece for the writer. *cracks knuckles* Looks like I can take off early and go play nine holes :laugh:

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Nobody is saying he's irreplaceable...we're saying he couldn't be replaced effectively by Jarnkrok.

Emmerton wasn't even in the NHL when Jarnkrok got traded, in fact had Jarnkrok not been planning on going back to Sweden he probably would have been called up instead of Emmerton when Cory got the call.

Ok fine but we agree Andersson or Bert should have been benched in his favor at some point. And all those times this season they called up Emmerton to fill in for a few games at center it should have been Jarnkrok.

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm

Yeah but having doubts while failing isn't a sin. He then moved on to ppg play so those doubts were hardly present the last months before the trade. Claiming he was on his way home is pure nonsense, he was very successful for a couple of months before the trade and i have no doubts he would have been doing great in DRW (based on what ive seen from his NHL games so far) if given a chance. Why would he go home when he finally managed to handle the NA game?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Yeah but having doubts while failing isn't a sin. He then moved on to ppg play so those doubts were hardly present the last months before the trade. Claiming he was on his way home is pure nonsense, he was very successful for a couple of months before the trade and i have no doubts he would have been doing great in DRW (based on what ive seen from his NHL games so far) if given a chance. Why would he go home when he finally managed to handle the NA game?

When do you think that chance would come? He's behind at least five centers already entrenched in the top9. The path isn't any clearer on the wing, and he'd be getting leapfrogged there by Mantha.

Why would he go home? Because he was already considering it and he'd be in GR for at least another season.

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
When do you think that chance would come? He's behind at least five centers already entrenched in the top9. The path isn't any clearer on the wing, and he'd be getting leapfrogged there by Mantha.

Why would he go home? Because he was already considering it and he'd be in GR for at least another season.

Another player who also wanted to go home was Peter Forsberg, he also had problem finding his game and also found it difficult to be in a new country. He went on to win the Calder trophy and a couple of Cups.

Its natural to think about going home when things are difficult, its a new country, new type of hockey and a different culture. I think most players who goes to NA and struggles at the beginning have the same thoughts, it doesn't mean they will act on it.

If Calle continued to be a ppg and a big + player he would have gotten a chance and with the level he already got, im not so sure Wings would have kept him down. He is already NHL ready, a very good defensive player with a significant offensive upside. I have no doubt he would have ended up in NHL if he wasnt traded. It still might not have been DRW but the kid is special, better than many DRW players defensively already.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Another player who also wanted to go home was Peter Forsberg, he also had problem finding his game and also found it difficult to be in a new country. He went on to win the Calder trophy and a couple of Cups.

Its natural to think about going home when things are difficult, its a new country, new type of hockey and a different culture. I think most players who goes to NA and struggles at the beginning have the same thoughts, it doesn't mean they will act on it.

If Calle continued to be a ppg and a big + player he would have gotten a chance and with the level he already got, im not so sure Wings would have kept him down. He is already NHL ready, a very good defensive player with a significant offensive upside. I have no doubt he would have ended up in NHL if he wasnt traded. It still might not have been DRW but the kid is special, better than many DRW players defensively already.

Never said the kid wasn't special or skilled, but his path to the NHL was still blocked in a big way. and it's also where the comparison to Forsberg doesn't really cut it. Forsberg went straight from Sweden to the NHL - actually playing in the NHL (and earning an NHL paycheck) is a massive incentive over riding buses for another year making a fraction of what he could be making in Sweden. And we've already seen Dick Axelsson and Johan Ryno flameout under similar circumstances.

I don't think Jarnkrok stays if he's faced with at least another full year in GR. Regardless of how likely any of us think it is, though, the point is that the threat was definitely there. The kid might have stuck out another year, or his agent's way of being "antsy" was telling Holland that it was unlikely. We'll never know because (rightly) none of these people are going to talk about it.

But with everyone wondering how Jarnkrok went from being highly thought of to moved in a trade for Legwand, well, this would go a long way towards explaining that. The guy has zero value once he bolts.

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
Never said the kid wasn't special or skilled, but his path to the NHL was still blocked in a big way. and it's also where the comparison to Forsberg doesn't really cut it. Forsberg went straight from Sweden to the NHL - actually playing in the NHL (and earning an NHL paycheck) is a massive incentive over riding buses for another year making a fraction of what he could be making in Sweden. And we've already seen Dick Axelsson and Johan Ryno flameout under similar circumstances.

I don't think Jarnkrok stays if he's faced with at least another full year in GR. Regardless of how likely any of us think it is, though, the point is that the threat was definitely there. The kid might have stuck out another year, or his agent's way of being "antsy" was telling Holland that it was unlikely. We'll never know because (rightly) none of these people are going to talk about it.

But with everyone wondering how Jarnkrok went from being highly thought of to moved in a trade for Legwand, well, this would go a long way towards explaining that. The guy has zero value once he bolts.

I do agree its odd he was traded with regards to how highly regarded he was so you do have a point there. I wouldnt compare him to Ryno or Axelsson though, Ryno was never anywhere near as good as Järnkrok and Axelsson was known as a troubled youngster. Maybe management was pushed to hard by the agent and felt insecure, its quite possible.

However, i would still hold it as unlikely that he would give up on his NHL dream while having such success in AHL. He would have been scouted by all teams and most likely asked about. His agent would have told him that it was just a matter of time and place before he would get his chance in NHL. For that reason I still find it highly unlikely that he would have gone home. When you read the article you can see he was stating that his negative thoughs were connected to the rough beginning of his AHL career. He wasn't sure he could fit in playing "run and gun" hockey, used to playing in a much more structured league. I think he probably is a great fit for Nashville with Trotz as coach, always on about details and defensive awareness. Järnkrok is exactly what Trotz loves in a player and i dont think DRW would have ignored him if he continued to develop in GR.

But as you say, these are just speculations and the only thing we know is that Holland decided to move him.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I do agree its odd he was traded with regards to how highly regarded he was so you do have a point there. I wouldnt compare him to Ryno or Axelsson though, Ryno was never anywhere near as good as Järnkrok and Axelsson was known as a troubled youngster. Maybe management was pushed to hard by the agent and felt insecure, its quite possible.

However, i would still hold it as unlikely that he would give up on his NHL dream while having such success in AHL. He would have been scouted by all teams and most likely asked about. His agent would have told him that it was just a matter of time and place before he would get his chance in NHL. For that reason I still find it highly unlikely that he would have gone home. When you read the article you can see he was stating that his negative thoughs were connected to the rough beginning of his AHL career. He wasn't sure he could fit in playing "run and gun" hockey, used to playing in a much more structured league. I think he probably is a great fit for Nashville with Trotz as coach, always on about details and defensive awareness. Järnkrok is exactly what Trotz loves in a player and i dont think DRW would have ignored him if he continued to develop in GR.

But as you say, these are just speculations and the only thing we know is that Holland decided to move him.

I think nashville's a good fit for him, too. They also have the room to promote him quickly, and it sounds like he already knew at least a couple of guys in nashville's system. If Jarnkrok was still having any problems adjusting/feeling comfortable/whatever, Holland seemed to go out and move him to a great place.

Looking at Detroit this year, and the guys who all got called up, etc., it wouldn't have surprised me to see Jarnkrok step away if he was told he wasn't coming up this year, and he wouldn't be up next year. I could see him getting really frustrated at that point, because he's seen a lot of guys step up this year, and he might see himself as "better" or whatever - we saw it pop up for a minute with Mitch Callahan and some very impulsive tweets of his awhile back. And it wouldn't surprise me if his agent was advocating hot and heavy for him in the midst of all of those injuries, and who knows what the agent said.

Regardless, I just wish the kid well. I think we're in a position prospect wise to absorb his loss, and if we make it into the playoffs, I like Legwand more right now.

Aug 6, 2012
Been watching Nashville since the trade and Jarnkrok is a fricking beast. Just so smart and crafty. Can't believe we lost him, gonna haunt us for a long time.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Been watching Nashville since the trade and Jarnkrok is a fricking beast. Just so smart and crafty. Can't believe we lost him, gonna haunt us for a long time.

The same was said of Leino. Events could go either way.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

Maybe.

Ten games isn't much of a sample size.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
1 pt in his last 5, after that hot start with 5 pts in 5 games.

Glad we don't have to see this bumped after everytime he gets a 2nd assist.

Still don't like the trade, but jus sayin.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

I expected this bump to be about him getting another point. :laugh:

Well, he's understandably cooled off. Nobody realistically expected him to be that type of point producer over the long haul.

As for Legwand, his career PPG is .59. His season PPG at the time of the trade was .64. His PPG since joining the Wings is .58. Over a season that difference only about 5 points. So I'd say the Wings got exactly what they expected. He's pretty consistent, if nothing else.

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
I expected this bump to be about him getting another point. :laugh:

Well, he's understandably cooled off. Nobody realistically expected him to be that type of point producer over the long haul.

As for Legwand, his career PPG is .59. His season PPG at the time of the trade was .64. His PPG since joining the Wings is .58. Over a season that difference only about 5 points. So I'd say the Wings got exactly what they expected. He's pretty consistent, if nothing else.

Your post is number #666 in this thread, both it and the infamous trade itself have earned the mark of the beast.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Its still a crap trade. but it was funny that this thread was bumped after each point and then disappeared when he stopped scoring.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I'm not angry about it anymore, I've moved on. I'll continue to follow him because it's hard to stop after you've been doing it near-obsessively for years.

One thing to note, apart from his points (and 6 in 10 is not bad at all for a Nashville rookie), is that after only 10 games he's already second on the Preds in +/- with 6. That's on a team with mostly minus players.

Ex. Filip Forsberg has played 13 games for them and is a -8, Jarnkrok a +6 in 10 games.

Aug 6, 2012

He's playing just as well as he was earlier. Creating a good amount of chances and being solid defensively.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
He's playing just as well as he was earlier. Creating a good amount of chances and being solid defensively.

I've watched a few Preds games since the trade and I think he's been pretty good but not as good as some in this thread were making him out to be while on his hot streak. He's been very good at even strength, but oddly he's looked somewhat lost on the PP despite getting lots of time there.

He's gotten better at faceoffs since his scoring dried up and he's definitely not a liability defensively but Trotz has certainly helped him by almost exclusively starting him in the offensive zone.

Looks like he's far better off in Nashville than he was in Detroit though, he's getting an opportunity there that he couldn't have gotten here for at least a year or 2.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Jarnkrok with a 3 point night. He'll end the season with 2G and 7A for 9 pts in 12 games with a +7. Watching tonight's game, he's got some decent chemistry with Craig Smith.

Johnz96*

Jarnkrok 12-2-7-9 +7
Legwand 21-4-7-11 -9

Nashville 9-1-2
Detroit 11-8-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad