Post-Game Talk: 4-0 'Hawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
LOL, adversity?

The Jets are decimated with the flu, have multiple players injured, recently lost their captain and a good friend of many on the team...who they were playing against tonight...who scored...and they are out of the playoffs.

Adversity is a beautiful dream of sugar plums and free beer somewhere in the distance when viewed in the rear view mirror.
This is a post apocalyptic disaster with deranged clowns...Genghis Khan wielding light sabres in each hand could not lead these broken sad sac emo men (and young men) to a strip bar with free shots right now.

What are you trying to say? Just come out with it! :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
But 1.000 might have done it. The outgoaltended part has happened quite a bit this year....like a lot really. It has to change before the team can have any success.

Agreed. Besides Pavlecian goaltending at our end we have a habit of making opposing goalies look good.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I don't see much reason for optimism in 16-17. Especially if Pavelec is still in net. The team will still be too young at that time, but in 17-18, Petan, Morrissey, Helle, Connor and the 2016 first will all be regulars.

Maybe Lemieux and Roslovic as well. I think that's when we start to make some noise. Personally though, I am more than ok with that.

If they wanted to speed things up I wold take a shot at Reimer and buyout Pavs. Make a Reimer/Helle platoon situation and know finally, that your goaltending is going to be solid.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
All I really want for next season is a competitive season and maybe another try at the first round. Just a move in a positive direction really. It would be nice to have meaningful hockey to watch right up to the last couple weeks at least...instead of the season being done by the end of January (December?) like this year.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We only have 11 games left.If we ice this same team next year with maybe a couple more young faces I don't think we are any better than this year.Im sorry if I make some people mad but Petan is not good.He made several bad passes and looked lost at times.Unless we get a great prospect out of the draft we lost on the Ladd deal.Marko Dano can't seem to get anything going.I guess that's why he was with the Hawks Ahl affiliate.I agree we have a lot of good young player for the future but I don't see them making an impact for at least 2 years.If we want to compete next year we will need to get some NHL Vetran players on this team.And we definitely need goaltending.I know Helly will be coming up at some time but to me he is still not the super goaltender that we need not yet anyway.Why can't we have a goalie like Holtby or Lundquest.i will always be a jets fan win or lose but it's kind of getting sad being on the losing end every game.

Buck up! :) This glass is half full.

We will not ice this same team next year. It will be this team plus Little, Ehlers, Armia and Helle. Add Connor and Morrissey. That's a 6 player turnover from last night's team!

Petan IS good. He is not great yet. He made a lot of good plays too. He will be back in the AHL next year. Dano had a bad game. He will be given some goals for the off-season. I'll bet he is better come TC. Don't worry yourself too much anyway. He will be on the 4th line next year.

On another note, if you are going to love the Jets you better learn to love the ones we have because we are not picking up a bunch of NHL vets or an NHL starting goalie from outside the organization over the off-season. Just not happening.

Cheers! :cheers: :)

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
The Jets made more turnovers than my local bakery tonight. :shakehead

LOL :laugh:That's pretty funny. The talent was decidedly lopsided in favour of Chicago to begin with. Additionally, seeing Ladd from Winnipeg, Fleischmann and Weise from Montreal out there was a bit much to take.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
You're certainly entitled to your opinion, sip. I said it gave me hope, not that it's going to happen. The underlying numbers are reasonable, unlike some other bottom dwellers. No more, no less.

If I abandoned hope for next year at this stage, I'd be a very grumpy person over the summer, and there's far too many gin and tonics and sundowners to consume and enjoy in the coming months. ;)

I agree with this and am optimistic for a bounce-back season and if it doesn't happen then c'est la vie, much too early to be worrying about next season. Besides when we win the lottery and pick #1, history will repeat and much like the last time a Winnipeg Jets team picked #1 the points total for the team improved by 48 points.

Dare to dream, folks.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't see much reason for optimism in 16-17. Especially if Pavelec is still in net. The team will still be too young at that time, but in 17-18, Petan, Morrissey, Helle, Connor and the 2016 first will all be regulars.

Maybe Lemieux and Roslovic as well. I think that's when we start to make some noise. Personally though, I am more than ok with that.

If they wanted to speed things up I wold take a shot at Reimer and buyout Pavs. Make a Reimer/Helle platoon situation and know finally, that your goaltending is going to be solid.

Not a bad idea but how much competition do you think there will be for Reimer? Kid's finally going to get paid!

TheGovernment

Jan 13, 2012
Going after Reimer makes no sense. Say we get him, he's going to want a 4-5 year contract at least. So we pay him 4-5 Mil a Year and he starts to crap the bed.... We end up in the exact same situation we are now. Helle or someone else ends up being starter and he is on bench duty...

I say we take our chances with helle for now. No Reimer under any circumstance.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Not a bad idea but how much competition do you think there will be for Reimer? Kid's finally going to get paid!

There will be, but no one is going to fork over 7 million Tukka Rask money to him, maybe he is open to it because he's from here. Maybe that's pie in the sky I don't know.

Another local guy I would like is Darren Helm...that pushes Burmi and Copp to the 4th line.

Sometimes I wonder if we aren't turning into a copy of the Saint Louis Blues...I find remarkable similarities...which is ok....but they lack the centre to go against Toews in a playoff series...Matthews would be so nice..

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Going after Reimer makes no sense. Say we get him, he's going to want a 4-5 year contract at least. So we pay him 4-5 Mil a Year and he starts to crap the bed.... We end up in the exact same situation we are now. Helle or someone else ends up being starter and he is on bench duty...

I say we take our chances with helle for now. No Reimer under any circumstance.

Depth in goal over a long season has value. We all like Helle, but we don't know for sure he can be an elite starter yet. Reimer provides at least above average goaltending. Goals against remain our biggest issue.

If you want to improve quickly getting a good consistent tender is the quickest way to do it. Maybe that's not necessary...but if Helle does not work we are hooped.

bluefan

Nov 18, 2011

Which is exactly why nothing will happen. Chevy messed up with Pavelec and he'll continue to bargain bin the goalie position until he hits a Rinne.

I'm all for Pavelec going towards the horizon, but seeing as how he hasn't been bought out yet, they're most likely going to ride out his contract and probably keep him if they get a deal.

Jetsfan4life

Dec 15, 2013
Usa
Buck up! :) This glass is half full.

We will not ice this same team next year. It will be this team plus Little, Ehlers, Armia and Helle. Add Connor and Morrissey. That's a 6 player turnover from last night's team!

Petan IS good. He is not great yet. He made a lot of good plays too. He will be back in the AHL next year. Dano had a bad game. He will be given some goals for the off-season. I'll bet he is better come TC. Don't worry yourself too much anyway. He will be on the 4th line next year.

On another note, if you are going to love the Jets you better learn to love the ones we have because we are not picking up a bunch of NHL vets or an NHL starting goalie from outside the organization over the off-season. Just not happening.

Cheers! :cheers: :)

I agree with you on your comments.I do think Petan will be good I just don't think he is there yet.I think they rushed him.He should stay down with the Moose for at least another whole season.I do understand that our ownership group/Manager will not get us any NHL caliber type players.We will be stuck with young AHL players until they evolve into NHL players.I do love this team and understand that I must support this team even with the players we have knowing that one day we will get back to the playoffs.I hope it's next season but if it's not at least we will compete hard.I do think that Dano will be good also one day but I think when the Hawks gave him up with the first I think they felt pretty comfortable with the trade from there standpoint.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
For those of you at the games, is there a sense that the paying fans are getting restless or do they seem to be rolling with the get-younger get-faster get-more-like-the-Hawks program?

It's pretty quiet - the only "Go Jets Go" chant came about to shut down a "Let's Go Blackhawks" chant that the Chicago fans in the house started.

There's a lot of gallows humour in my section. Guy behind me was screaming at Enstrom to shoot the puck every time it touched his stick (behind his own net, neutral zone, etc.). I think he also said "Book 'em, Dano" every time Marco was on the ice...believe it or not, that got a little tired after the 3rd or 4th time.

But yeah, everyone seems resigned to the fact that this season is done and winning isn't really the best thing for the Jets. The world's cutest baby was right in front of us so that kept everyone in a 2 row/5 seat radius pretty amused.

And hey, we all got free bags of Lays potato chips at the end of the game. My wife got two, but when I tried to grab a second the surly gate staffer protected the loot like it was coming out of her own pocket.

Oh, they're held off the 50-50 draw announcement until after the game - that's a dick move, TNSE... :laugh:

TheGovernment

Jan 13, 2012
Depth in goal over a long season has value. We all like Helle, but we don't know for sure he can be an elite starter yet. Reimer provides at least above average goaltending. Goals against remain our biggest issue.

If you want to improve quickly getting a good consistent tender is the quickest way to do it. Maybe that's not necessary...but if Helle does not work we are hooped.[/QUOTEl]

And if Reimer does work, we're hooped with a 4-5 year contract and back to our current situation. At least with Helle it's not such a gamble.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013

If you want to improve quickly getting a good consistent tender is the quickest way to do it. Maybe that's not necessary...but if Helle does not work we are hooped.[/QUOTEl]

And if Reimer does work, we're hooped with a 4-5 year contract and back to our current situation. At least with Helle it's not such a gamble.

Reimer's track record is pretty solidified now as an above average goalie. I wouldn't sign him to a NTC...

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Not that good.

Well I watched the game and thought he looked good especially considering he is a rookie and hadn't seen NHL action since early November. Petan handles the puck well, already top 5 on the team in that category, his defensive game seems to have improved and seems to be making plays a lot quicker now.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Well I watched the game and thought he looked good especially considering he is a rookie and hadn't seen NHL action since early November. Petan handles the puck well, already top 5 on the team in that category, his defensive game seems to have improved and seems to be making plays a lot quicker now.

I'd like to see a little bit of him on the top line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad