Post-Game Talk: 4-0 'Hawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
They maybe played the first 30 minutes of the game and then coasted the rest. The 3rd period was an abysmal effort. I felt like turning the game off a few times and just sat there depressed :(

The PVR really helps! I watched the first 2 periods and we were mostly good. I FF over the third.

Last edited:

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Because PoMo does not know how to coach through adversity. He internalizes losses and bad stretches too much. He's never had success except when Carolina went on a Cinderella run.

He'd make a good motivational speaker though
LOL, adversity?

The Jets are decimated with the flu, have multiple players injured, recently lost their captain and a good friend of many on the team...who they were playing against tonight...who scored...and they are out of the playoffs.

Adversity is a beautiful dream of sugar plums and free beer somewhere in the distance when viewed in the rear view mirror.
This is a post apocalyptic disaster with deranged clowns...Genghis Khan wielding light sabres in each hand could not lead these broken sad sac emo men (and young men) to a strip bar with free shots right now.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Adversity is a beautiful dream of sugar plums and free beer somewhere in the distance when viewed in the rear view mirror.
This is a post apocalyptic disaster with deranged clowns...Genghis Khan wielding light sabres in each hand could not lead these broken sad sac emo men (and young men) to a strip bar with free shots right now.

The greatness of this post almost makes the 4-zip loss bearable.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
A tale of two games in my opinion. I thought up until Chicago scored the game was pretty even (the Jets maybe even a little better). The Scheifele-Wheeler line seemed to be dominating early on and Patty Kane hadn't woken up yet.

Before the goals were scored the Hawks looked like they were not playing with a whole lot of confidence and then the real Kane ignited them and they completely dominated the third period and the Jets imploded, lost all confidence and seemingly their ability to play hockey. The third period was like a cat playing with it's food.

anyway besides what the corsi numbers say I thought Petan looked pretty good overall.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I've waited for a long time to say this , i know Trouba is mostly playing his off side this year but he doesn't look like a guy who is going to be a #1 defenceman . He doesn't shoot the puck very well and he looks slower than last season . If he gets anything more than what Matta from pittsburgh got it's too much , not saying he's the reason the Jets lost tonight , just a season long assessment on my part .

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
A tale of two games in my opinion. I thought up until Chicago scored the game was pretty even (the Jets maybe even a little better). The Scheifele-Wheeler line seemed to be dominating early on and Patty Kane hadn't woken up yet.

Before the goals were scored the Hawks looked like they were not playing with a whole lot of confidence and then the real Kane ignited them and they completely dominated the third period and the Jets imploded, lost all confidence and seemingly their ability to play hockey. The third period was like a cat playing with it's food.

anyway besides what the corsi numbers say I thought Petan looked pretty good overall.

Ya , i agree with you , although when your goalie lets in 2 goals just seconds apart it's going to be pretty deflating for such a young and inexperienced lineup .

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I stopped listening to 1290 a couple of years ago. Unless I have to listen to the game in my car. Radio is turned off the second the game is over. I NEVER listen to their post game nonsense.

Agreed. Can't believe we have a thread devoted to the airheads at that station. Other than listening to the games when I'm in my car I never listen to 1290.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I agree. I think this stretch of games is good for management to see that maybe their expectations for Trouba might have been too high.

I've waited for a long time to say this , i know Trouba is mostly playing his off side this year but he doesn't look like a guy who is going to be a #1 defenceman . He doesn't shoot the puck very well and he looks slower than last season . If he gets anything more than what Matta from pittsburgh got it's too much , not saying he's the reason the Jets lost tonight , just a season long assessment on my part .

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Pav could have been .950(ish) and we would have lost.

We couldn't score. Wheeler could have had 5 by the end of the second .... but he didn't.

But 1.000 might have done it. The outgoaltended part has happened quite a bit this year....like a lot really. It has to change before the team can have any success.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
But 1.000 might have done it. The outgoaltended part has happened quite a bit this year....like a lot really. It has to change before the team can have any success.

Yep. Also: the Jets have a relatively low PDO with a reasonably good (at least 5v5) Corsi rating - I'd much rather be in that situation than have an inflated PDO and poor possession numbers.

It gives me solace for this season - I still hold out hope for a bounce back next season, after we secure a good pick in the lottery this year.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Yep. Also: the Jets have a relatively low PDO with a reasonably good (at least 5v5) Corsi rating - I'd much rather be in that situation than have an inflated PDO and poor possession numbers.

It gives me solace for this season - I still hold out hope for a bounce back next season, after we secure a good pick in the lottery this year.

Sorry Y but a bounce back season even with Helly potentially playing lights out next season is overly optimistic, even with an influx 2-3 better players into the lineup and an improvement in goaltending this team has a long way to go. I think the Jets only drafting in the #5-10 spot next season is a strong possibility and the only sign of improvement over 2015-2016 if you can call it that!

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Sorry Y but a bounce back season even with Helly potentially playing lights out next season is overly optimistic, even with an influx 2-3 better players into the lineup and an improvement in goaltending this team has a long way to go. I think the Jets only drafting in the #5-10 spot next season is a strong possibility and the only sign of improvement over 2015-2016 if you can call it that!

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, sip. I said it gave me hope, not that it's going to happen. The underlying numbers are reasonable, unlike some other bottom dwellers. No more, no less.

If I abandoned hope for next year at this stage, I'd be a very grumpy person over the summer, and there's far too many gin and tonics and sundowners to consume and enjoy in the coming months. ;)

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

Give this team as it currently is constructed .918 (Helle's NHL sv%) for the entire season and we're right there in the playoff chase. 89 or 90 points is all it might take this year. Pav & Hutch have given us .903. The difference is worth 7-8 wins. Add 15 or 16 points to our record and guess where we would be? 2nd wild card position.

Jetsfan4life

Dec 15, 2013
Usa
We only have 11 games left.If we ice this same team next year with maybe a couple more young faces I don't think we are any better than this year.Im sorry if I make some people mad but Petan is not good.He made several bad passes and looked lost at times.Unless we get a great prospect out of the draft we lost on the Ladd deal.Marko Dano can't seem to get anything going.I guess that's why he was with the Hawks Ahl affiliate.I agree we have a lot of good young player for the future but I don't see them making an impact for at least 2 years.If we want to compete next year we will need to get some NHL Vetran players on this team.And we definitely need goaltending.I know Helly will be coming up at some time but to me he is still not the super goaltender that we need not yet anyway.Why can't we have a goalie like Holtby or Lundquest.i will always be a jets fan win or lose but it's kind of getting sad being on the losing end every game.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Petan is still a prospect, as is Dano. Writing them off at this stage of their career is a bit premature, IMHO.

Regardnig Lundqvist - not many teams have someone of that quality, but Helle looks like he might be our Lunqvist. What has you down on him, Jetsfan? He's posted superb numbers at all levels he's played at.

Again, he's a prospect - patience is required.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
We only have 11 games left.If we ice this same team next year with maybe a couple more young faces I don't think we are any better than this year.Im sorry if I make some people mad but Petan is not good.He made several bad passes and looked lost at times.Unless we get a great prospect out of the draft we lost on the Ladd deal.Marko Dano can't seem to get anything going.I guess that's why he was with the Hawks Ahl affiliate.I agree we have a lot of good young player for the future but I don't see them making an impact for at least 2 years.If we want to compete next year we will need to get some NHL Vetran players on this team.And we definitely need goaltending.I know Helly will be coming up at some time but to me he is still not the super goaltender that we need not yet anyway.Why can't we have a goalie like Holtby or Lundquest.i will always be a jets fan win or lose but it's kind of getting sad being on the losing end every game.

And maybe we do in Helly. Goalies just don't show up one day as a top NHL starter. Holtby is 26 y/o and has only been an NHL regular for 3 seasons. Before that he bounced back and forth playing mostly in the A with numbers probably a little less impressive than Helly's. Lundqvist played in Sweden until he was 23 y/o. Helly is tracking almost the same development trajectory as both. Where he ends up is still not known, but he is where you would hope him to be. In terms of Petan and Dano they are kids, both from the draft class of 2013. From that draft class only 13 players have more points than Dano. Even less have the same point per game pace he has. Petan was a 2nd round pick, and there is still only 1 NHL regular from the 2nd round of that draft class. They are both still grade A prospects with bright futures.

Jetsfan4life

Dec 15, 2013
Usa
Petan is still a prospect, as is Dano. Writing them off at this stage of their career is a bit premature, IMHO.

Regardnig Lundqvist - not many teams have someone of that quality, but Helle looks like he might be our Lunqvist. What has you down on him, Jetsfan? He's posted superb numbers at all levels he's played at.

Again, he's a prospect - patience is required.

I do think he will be there some day I'm just not sure about next year.He does have great numbers in non NHL caliber hockey but the NHL is a different animal.He gives a lot of rebounds.I do think he will grow into this team just don't think its right away.I guess Im just frustrated waiting year after year.On Petan I think he is just not ready maybe in a couple more years but I would like to see him put up at least 20 goals in the Ahl before bringing him back up.Dano I don't know what to say maybe the same as Petan.Send him down next year and let him develop more skills as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad