Proposal: 3rd O.A. for ROR who adds and what is add

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think Montreal would have to add to make it similar to the Staal return, although I'm not exactly sure how much more valuable ROR is than what Staal was when he was traded.

I think Montreal's problem is that they don't have any of those perfect assets to pull off ROR, the assets they have are either too much or too little (or don't fit what Buffalo would want). Mete is really the only piece that falls into that perfect range, but you need more than just Mete in the trade.

Reactions: Flair Hay

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I think Montreal would have to add to make it similar to the Staal return, although I'm not exactly sure how much more valuable ROR is than what Staal was when he was traded.

I think Montreal's problem is that they don't have any of those perfect assets to pull off ROR, the assets they have are either too much or too little (or don't fit what Buffalo would want). Mete is really the only piece that falls into that perfect range, but you need more than just Mete in the trade.

Staal was traded for the 7th overall on a very weak draft while being 5 years younger than RoR.

Honestly, there’s nothing I could see the Sabres adding to ROR that would entertain montreal

Reactions: DaveG

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Staal was traded for the 7th overall on a very weak draft while being 5 years younger than RoR.

Honestly, there’s nothing I could see the Sabres adding to ROR that would entertain montreal

The 2012 draft was very weak? What? Staal also wasn't traded for 7th overall, it was 8th overall, Dumoulin and Sutter for Staal.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I'm going to say it's pretty even.

Buffalo can get more pieces for him which might be their preferred option but not a piece that big.

The Zadina pick 1 for 1 makes a lot more sense for them than the Pacioretty suggestion that gets thrown around by Habs fans.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
If I'm the Hab's I say Middlestat is the price,

And seeing as how that ISN"T going to happen, I say Sam Bennet and Rasmus Ristoltain, for 3rd overall and Brendan Gallager.

Domi makes up for Gallager,

Montreal needs a D man and a center (and both must be much younger than O'riley)

Buffalo, gets an emotional leader and goalscorer in Gallager, and a winger to play with their two top centers, Both Bennet and Ristolitan are replaced by Middlestat and Dahlien,

I don't know why they would want 3rd overall so badly though,

If this is a Habs fan looking to deal 3rd for O'riley.....what the hell are you thinking?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
In a bubble, I'd rather have a 27 year old Ryan O'Reilly locked into a 5 year contract than the 3rd overall pick in this upcoming draft.

In Montreal's case, I'd guess it would depend on what they want to do. If they want to try to compete now, that would be a very solid trade to make. They've been trying for years to find a 1C. If they want to take a step back and re-tool, I could see how they'd rather have the 3rd pick.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Relative to other draft years yes. Although this is in hindsight

Eh, I don't know about that. That draft yielded some of the top elite young talent in the NHL. The top picks may have been underwhelming, but that draft turned out really deep overall. I think that draft may just lack the top end talent that other drafts had, but it was still a really good draft.

And seeing as how that ISN"T going to happen, I say Sam Bennet and Rasmus Ristoltain, for 3rd overall and Brendan Gallager.

Montreal needs a D man and a center (and both must be much younger than O'riley)

Buffalo, gets an emotional leader and goalscorer in Gallager, and a winger to play with their two top centers, Both Bennet and Ristolitan are replaced by Middlestat and Dahlien,

If this is a Habs fan looking to deal 3rd for O'riley.....what the hell are you thinking?

Hitting the pubs a little early on Father's Day, I see :laugh:

freester

Mar 22, 2014
Atlanta, Ga
Bergevins time is running out. He needs a good Center and leader. I don’t know what other quality centers he could get. I bet he makes the deal.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

What Habs need to do is find a way to add to Paccioretty so they can get ROR and keep 3rd overall.

They need to think outside the box a bit to get, what, like 3 centers?

Gandalf The Habs Fan

Oct 29, 2012
Québec
As a habs fan, I dont add and im not sure I want to trade the 3OA. Trading the 3OA for someone almost 10 years older would be stupid. But I really like Ryan O'Reilly !

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

I didn’t know we traded Bennett

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
What Habs need to do is find a way to add to Paccioretty so they can get ROR and keep 3rd overall.

As a neutral fan I’d say there is zero chance of that happening - not unless you somehow misspelled “Mete” as “Pacioretty”.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Yeah, I think Montreal has to add a B level prospect or a decent roster player as insurance for 3rd overall going bust.

Last edited:

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
The 2012 draft was very weak? What? Staal also wasn't traded for 7th overall, it was 8th overall, Dumoulin and Sutter for Staal.

Is he wrong? There's a handful of really good players that have come out of it, (Forsberg, Trouba, Vasilevsky for example) but compared to other drafts he's not wrong to say it's very weak.

The top five was Yakupov, Murray, Galchenyuk, Reinhart, and Murray.

Compare that to:

2013 - Mackinnon/Barkov/Drouin/Jones/Lindholm
2014 - Ekblad/Reinhart/Draisaitl/Bennett/MDC
2015 - McDavid/Eichel/Strome/Marner/Hanifin
2016 - Matthews/Laine/Dubois/Pulu/Juolevi
2017 - Hischier/Patrick/Heiskanen/Makar/Petterson

2017 is hard to judge yet. 2014 is the only one that even comes close to being as poor as 2012, and Ekblad and Drai still put it way above 2012.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Is he wrong? There's a handful of really good players that have come out of it, (Forsberg, Trouba, Vasilevsky for example) but compared to other drafts he's not wrong to say it's very weak.

The top five was Yakupov, Murray, Galchenyuk, Reinhart, and Murray.

Compare that to:

2013 - Mackinnon/Barkov/Drouin/Jones/Lindholm
2014 - Ekblad/Reinhart/Draisaitl/Bennett/MDC
2015 - McDavid/Eichel/Strome/Marner/Hanifin
2016 - Matthews/Laine/Dubois/Pulu/Juolevi
2017 - Hischier/Patrick/Heiskanen/Makar/Petterson

2017 is hard to judge yet. 2014 is the only one that even comes close to being as poor as 2012, and Ekblad and Drai still put it way above 2012.

Yeah the top-5 ended up sucking in 2012, but I don't think the top-5 is indicative of the rest of the draft. The 2012 draft turned out really deep overall, it's just the picks at the top of the draft ended up busting or turning out extremely underwhelming.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
It's an even deal. In another draft year, the #3 might hold a lot more value, not this year. You'd be lucky if your team picked a center at #3 that turned out to be what ROR is, an elite #2C, 200-foot center, one of the best faceoff guys in the league and who's locked up on term. There's a decent/good chance a player picked #3 onwards could turn out better, but that's the interplay of risk with picking said player and developing him properly. The reason this trade is even though is because ROR is already 27.

Reactions: normaliswear

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Yeah the top-5 ended up sucking in 2012, but I don't think the top-5 is indicative of the rest of the draft. The 2012 draft turned out really deep overall, it's just the picks at the top of the draft ended up busting or turning out extremely underwhelming.

Ehh. I just don't see it on the top end talent level. Forsberg is probably the best overall, which isn't a diss to him, he's very good. But even 2014 you're looking at Ekblad/Drai/Pasta/Larkin/Point/Nylander. All of whom could end up as good or better.

Most drafts you're getting at least two elite talents. Stamkos/Doughty, Tavares/Hedman, Hall/Seguin, MacKinnon/Barkov, Drai/Pasta, McDavid/Eichel, Matthews/Laine. 2012 and 2011 were the outliers. 2017 may actually be the next one to lack it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad