7F7467DB-2DAC-4BF4-BBE5-18DDAC91D5C8.jpeg

As per daily face off

NHL Starting Goalies

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I was really impressed with Shore's feed to Archibald as well. Let's see me of those, and less defensive gaffs.

I've had a lot of positive comments about Shore. He has hands and is a good passer and can score some goals too. The one knock on him is he can make some bad plays in own zone, has to clean that up, use his size more, hit more, and be involved in more plays. Putting him with a real grind pace player like Archibald is a pretty good move. I think the line was going to have an even better night but Khaira got injured and bottomsix juggled. Hopefully Khaira is OK< and with the type of season he's having we need his contributions.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I would put in Kahun, Bouchard, take out Neal, Bear. Albeit Bear bound to have a bounceback game. I hope.

Unfortunately Bear's "bounce back" performances this year have just been to the minimum standard of not completely sucking.

He seems to always be a step behind this year, not sure if he put on muscle that slowed him down or what the deal is, but he is in quicksand all the time. He's been getting destroyed on the forecheck, gets lost in the corners and can't hit a breakout pass anymore usually because he's standing still or slow to react. He needs to play with more pace, not sure how they are going to do it, but he isn't an NHL quality player at this speed.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Or even just give Barrie a break to rest up and play Bouchard? Or even if Barrie is 100%, play Bouchard over Bear? Bouchard should be in regardless.

For tonight it might just be a numbers game. Assuming JJ can't play but they don't IR him because he doesn't appear to be too bas. Turris is coming off Covid Protocol meaning one of Shore, Neal or Russell have to go to Taxi, so likely Russell. Now it sounds like Kassian is game time decision meaning they may need to activate him, so you have to send Neal or Shore to Taxi as well. Bring in Bouchard, then it's all three to taxi.

If all three go to Taxi, Turris has to play or they wouldn't have enough forwards when he hasn't been allowed on the ice for over a week. Throw in an out of game shape Kassian, we could be going into the game with only 10 game shape forwards and only 3 of them in our top 5 penalty killing forwards by minute this season in a game that's likely to be chippy. All this knowing we have a pretty critical game tomorrow against Winnipeg as well so you don't want to run your top forwards 26+ minutes to survive this game.

With all that said, if Barrie can't play tonight, I'd just IR JJ for the minimum week so that we can keep at least Shore in as the 4th PK forward option, leave Kassian alone for one more night so that you can dress Bouch. Unfortunately, that could lead to some Flame shenanigans as it isn't an overly tough lineup.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
For tonight it might just be a numbers game. Assuming JJ can't play but they don't IR him because he doesn't appear to be too bas. Turris is coming off Covid Protocol meaning one of Shore, Neal or Russell have to go to Taxi, so likely Russell. Now it sounds like Kassian is game time decision meaning they may need to activate him, so you have to send Neal or Shore to Taxi as well. Bring in Bouchard, then it's all three to taxi.

If all three go to Taxi, Turris has to play or they wouldn't have enough forwards when he hasn't been allowed on the ice for over a week. Throw in an out of game shape Kassian, we could be going into the game with only 10 game shape forwards and only 3 of them in our top 5 penalty killing forwards by minute this season in a game that's likely to be chippy. All this knowing we have a pretty critical game tomorrow against Winnipeg as well so you don't want to run your top forwards 26+ minutes to survive this game.

With all that said, if Barrie can't play tonight, I'd just IR JJ for the minimum week so that we can keep at least Shore in as the 4th PK forward option, leave Kassian alone for one more night so that you can dress Bouch. Unfortunately, that could lead to some Flame shenanigans as it isn't an overly tough lineup.

Turris isn't playing, he only JUST had his first skate. And with JJ out Kahun can play Center or Shore. Neal isn't needed at all as he does nothing. Would love to see Kassian back, apparently he's ready to play but has to be cleared after the skate. We'll know soon.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I really dont understand why Kahun has been blacklisted. Sure he had some struggles but he never looked terrible for long periods of time imo.

By almost default he's better than half dead Neal out there. But its kind of org dynamics and window dressing too. Lucic is playing like a bit of a boss now in Calgary, like he should have been here, and its a little face saving gesture for Holland to have Neal even in the lineup. I mean its one of those odd optics things. I don't subscribe to it, you should put the best team out there any game, but I wonder if Neal draws in against Winnipeg if he's not feeling better. Its so obvious he's not ready. But the team is so strung for legit vet players that Chiasson is a staple here, lol.

not knocking Neal either. Covid-19 is a terrible affliction. I couldn't imagine trying to play a pro sport so soon after having it.

I mean of course Lucic, partying it up in the LA Hills in summertime somehow didn't catch Covid, and become absolutely useless. The world isn't fair...

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Turris isn't playing, he only JUST had his first skate. And with JJ out Kahun can play Center or Shore. Neal isn't needed at all as he does nothing. Would love to see Kassian back, apparently he's ready to play but has to be cleared after the skate. We'll know soon.

I know Turris isn't (or shouldn't be) playing. That's kind of my point. With him coming off Covid protocol though, I believe he'll count as a roster spot making us have both him and JJ as active but not available, and we'd only have room for 13 forwards on the active list if Bouch is recalled. I understand pulling out Neal as well, but even with him out, the numbers might not work either to get in a 12th forward tonight if Bouch is recalled.

All that said, I don't know enough about emergency recall provisions and maybe you can Emergency recall Bouch and have him not count or perhaps there is a couple days of leniency for activating guys coming off Covid protocol like Turris.

Ultimately one of the messages I'm trying to get across is that as guys start coming off IR, or Covid protocol lists, it's going to be a lot trickier to get Bouchard into the lineup simply out of a numbers game. As such, Holland needs to try and sneak some of these parttime players through waivers over the next week to get some more flexibility again (note that Neal can only play two more games before they have to go through the process with him again maybe less as I think he hasn't been redemoted again after recall 26 days ago and Chiasson and Ennis can no longer go to Taxi without clearing waivers which takes a day to pull off).

Last edited:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
By almost default he's better than half dead Neal out there. But its kind of org dynamics and window dressing too. Lucic is playing like a bit of a boss now in Calgary, like he should have been here, and its a little face saving gesture for Holland to have Neal even in the lineup. I mean its one of those odd optics things. I don't subscribe to it, you should put the best team out there any game, but I wonder if Neal draws in against Winnipeg if he's not feeling better. Its so obvious he's not ready. But the team is so strung for legit vet players that Chiasson is a staple here, lol.

not knocking Neal either. Covid-19 is a terrible affliction. I couldn't imagine trying to play a pro sport so soon after having it.

I mean of course Lucic, partying it up in the LA Hills in summertime somehow didn't catch Covid, and become absolutely useless. The world isn't fair...

I'm wondering at what point they find a way to LTIR Neal and be done with it.

If post-COVID complications are what have turned him into a completely useless player then they should use the card and clear the space. At this point he should be literally the last option up front to put in the lineup, he can't play anymore.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Thanks for the OP @5minsforfighting..

I think Drai would make a more sinister looking kind of Freddy, especially the one in my Avatar eating Ducks..

I had Draisaitl as an incredible Mike Myers from Halloween, it was crazy good. In fact I had a whole Oilers as slasher villains revenge theme nearly done prior to hearing the news last night that a 17 year old girl was stabbed to death in Leduc yesterday so I trashed the entire thing as I thought it would be in bad taste to post that in light of how she died etc. I didn't hear about it till late yesterday as I don't follow news and was busy till 9 PM it was too late to make an entire new theme so all you guys got was the main page partially completed and some revenge gifs lol.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I had Draisaitl as an incredible Mike Myers from Halloween, it was crazy good. In fact I had a whole Oilers as slasher villains revenge theme nearly done prior to hearing the news last night that a 17 year old girl was stabbed to death in Leduc yesterday so I trashed the entire thing as I thought it would be in bad taste to post that in light of how she died etc. I didn't hear about it till late yesterday as I don't follow news and was busy till 9 PM it was too late to make an entire new theme so all you guys got was the main page partially completed and some revenge gifs lol.

Good call and good situational awareness.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Yeah, yikes, tragic occurrence. Good judgement, you know I was just ribbing. would love to see the planned thread sometime in the future. Thanks for all your work, I don't know how to do much of this stuff. My record is bad anyway. Alltime 0-3 or something like that, nobody wants that..

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Or even just give Barrie a break to rest up and play Bouchard? Or even if Barrie is 100%, play Bouchard over Bear? Bouchard should be in regardless.
Tippet is a straight up moron if Barrie is hurt and Bouchard isn't in. Sacrificing his potential so Bear can keep failing and losing even more confidence just can't happen. Sit Bear, get him to practice and dress a player who deserves to be dressed!!!

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I’d actually try Kahun as 3c with Khaira being out. I see him as an RNH lite.

Turris - McDavid - Puljujarvi
RNH - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Ennis - Kahun - Archibald
Shore - Haas - Kassian/Chiasson

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
The argument is unfair.

This is the first time the club played the Flames under Sutter. They wilted in first period under immense pressure but did enough to still be in the game. As game progressed I felt there were some adjustments and that the 3rd period was our best. We ought to have been able to come out with a tie without self destruction mistakes. we generated our goals scored, the Flames didn't.

Oilers likely patch the glaring errors and play a more sensible game tonight. This tonight is the adjustment game. There were in between period adjustments made last game, but also we were without Barrie and Khaira for most of the game and thats hard.

Final thing is Flames had 3 pp;s we had 1, because NHL. Theres no adjusting to that ridiculous officiating here McDrai are hauled down at least once, or crosschecked, almost every shift.

The penalty that Gaudreau milked was the slightest of infractions. we rarely get a call like that.
This is so true regarding the PP’s especially since McDavid was blatantly tripped in the Calgary zone that lead to this PP just seconds later. When McDavids legs are above his head going down to the ice with the ref looking right at it and no call is made. How is it they call a much less obvious “trip” for the hobbit seconds later at the other end of the ice?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Here’s what I’d go with tonight if Kassian, Khaira and Barrie are back.

Draisaitl-Mcdavid-Kassian
JP-RNH-Yamamoto
Kahun-Haas-Archibald
Neal-Khaira-Chaisson

Nurse-Barrie
Lagesson-Larsson
Russell-Bouchard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad