Post-Game Talk: 3-2 win

Status
Not open for further replies.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Yeah I mean that was kind of my point though. Precisely the fact that Binnington and others have gone on absolute heaters. Binnington was an unknown and has since been a middle of the pack goalie. Same thing with Cam Ward for example, after that absolute playoff tare he never lived up to the hype. So that’s my point, goalies coming out of nowhere and going berserk is kinda lowkey common. Halak too remember? But yes indeed you need a good goalie that can make great saves or you can also get yourself a monster team and win it with Kuemper… the truth lies probably somewhere in the middle. I brought it up because Stolarz is an example of yet another very very decent backup that we’ve had through the years and makes me wonder if they would’ve sufficed if we had spread Bobs money around and built a better team in front of them. With Knight, there’s still lots of uncertainty to have committed so early. But we’ll see. Just saying I have no reservations dealing him if it means we can get someone that helps us now.
I agree that paying your goalie the top dollars doesn’t make sense anymore.

And I agree that if there’s a good trade for Knight, do it. We sent Markstrom away, took him a few years to develop into a near-top goalie, but even then given the development time needed, I have no regrets. So I doubt I’d worry about losing Knight.

And we’re all looking forward to getting Bob’s albatross contract off the books, as good as he was in the playoffs.

Reactions: Panteras

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Reactions: Idiot Stick

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
The ratings actually are very accurate IMO.
Fors
— big gap —
Ek
— gap —
OEL and Monty (whose stock is rising)
— gap —
Kuli (going up) and Mikkola (going down)

Wonder if Balinskis should get a few games and sit Mikkola who’s sucked as of late (like being slower than Ekblad turning on that Wilson goal)

Ya they're at the point where we have some back to backs coming up in March, along with a stretch of 7 games in 13 days to start the month.

Maurice should be resting some guys here and there as the games become more intense and grueling.

Doesn't help that we like to play so physical as well. Kulikov has been really good lately so Mahura or Balinskis can take Mikkolas spot for a game or two.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Wilson, Stolarz and Gus best players on the ice last night, by far. The rest looked very mediocre except for Bennett - I thought especially Luostarinen was a no show, as well as the 4th line - they get a bye though, with Lorentz and Lockwood. Great that we seem good enough to often come out on top in bad games.

I don't know if anybody else noticed this being shown on the broadcast but I have to be patriotic on this and give a huge shoutout to my fellow countrywoman - after all we Austrian Panther fans are a very rare bunch:

1708897320171.png

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Wilson, Stolarz and Gus best players on the ice last night, by far. The rest looked very mediocre except for Bennett - I thought especially Luostarinen was a no show, as well as the 4th line - they get a bye though, with Lorentz and Lockwood. Great that we seem good enough to often come out on top in bad games.

I don't know if anybody else noticed this being shown on the broadcast but I have to be patriotic on this and give a huge shoutout to my fellow countrywoman - after all we Austrian Panther fans are a very rare bunch:

View attachment 825232
I wanted to take a screen shot and post it but too late but in my defense I was under the influence.

I thought maybe you put your daughter on the plane

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
The ratings actually are very accurate IMO.
Fors
— big gap —
Ek
— gap —
OEL and Monty (whose stock is rising)
— gap —
Kuli (going up) and Mikkola (going down)

Wonder if Balinskis should get a few games and sit Mikkola who’s sucked as of late (like being slower than Ekblad turning on that Wilson goal)

Our defensive depth is truly bonkers, because this is without considering Mahura, who I think is a solid D when given regular ice time. The timing of when he got injured was really unlucky for him.

And then Balinskis, and Carlsson after that.

Reactions: RogerRoger and KW

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
Same. Hated the guy. His style still pisses me off sometimes but it's playoff hockey and in the end that's all that matters.

I don't get it.

we're winning and dominating analytics. some games are close and we win in the clutch, some games we dominate. even losses are close. there's a great mix of skill/highlight reel plays and playoff grit. the media says we're the most entertaining team to watch.

what the hell is not to like???

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I don't get it.

we're winning and dominating analytics. some games are close and we win in the clutch, some games we dominate. even losses are close. there's a great mix of skill/highlight reel plays and playoff grit. the media says we're the most entertaining team to watch.

what the hell is not to like???
I decided to waste a couple of hours watching other team hockey this afternoon. Watched bolts-nj from third period and then flyers-pens pretty deep into the third. Boring ass hockey both of them in the sense that the teams didn’t look to have good backcehcking (with the exception of Tampa) and the games at many moments looked like glorified pickup hockey with a lot of individual rushes, no real plan. Yeah, reminded me that we’re watching a good team when we watch Panthers.

With a score of 7-6, many will like that because it looks eventful but it really was two leaky D’s and a pair of bad to average goalies.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
The Panthers have added some depth on the back end as Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman reports (Twitter link) that they have claimed defenseman Gustav Forsling off waivers from Carolina.

The 24-year-old actually cleared waivers last season and spent the entirety of the 2019-20 season in the minors with AHL Charlotte. Forsling, never known for his offensive prowess, had a decent campaign in terms of point production, putting up eight goals and 18 assists in 56 games with the Checkers before the pandemic shut down the rest of the season.

While he was in the minors all of last year, Forsling does have 122 career games of NHL experience, all with Chicago from 2016-17 through 2018-19 with most of those coming under Joel Quenneville, now the head coach of the Panthers. He averaged more than 17 minutes per game and it’s quite possible that he’ll be able to hold his own in a third-pairing role with Florida. Having said that, Forsling likely slots in as the seventh or eighth defender on the depth chart so he may need to wait for some injuries to arise to get his chance with his new team.

1/9/21
Forsling's success story might be one of the best in the NHL.

Who would have thought a 5th round pick that topped at 23 points in the AHL and claimed off waivers, would then pace for 40 points 3 seasons in a row, lead the league in +/-, and be the most valuable defenseman on one of the best teams in the league? Don't think anyone saw that coming.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Forsling's success story might be one of the best in the NHL.

Who would have thought a 5th round pick that topped at 23 points in the AHL and claimed off waivers, would then pace for 40 points 3 seasons in a row, lead the league in +/-, and be the most valuable defenseman on one of the best teams in the league? Don't think anyone saw that coming.
It's some Martin St Louis stuff.

Reactions: Felidae

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Our defensive depth is truly bonkers, because this is without considering Mahura, who I think is a solid D when given regular ice time. The timing of when he got injured was really unlucky for him.

And then Balinskis, and Carlsson after that.

Carlsson? Lmao

The Janitor for Charlotte would get a call up before that guy

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Any chance Maurice wins Adams? Never gets any credit and always get the sense hockey media hates him. Also I get the award usually goes to the coach of team that surprises, but I think we fit in that category too?

Lots of people including myself thought we might be playoff bubble with all the injuries and typical finals hangover. We got through that with no issues, team defense is amazing (people keep telling me that's coaching....), the team plays hard every night, by fancy stats we're probably a top 3 team, guys like Tkachuk and Reino have taken their games to another level with him, don't think anyone expected us near the top of league standings.

I get that Tocchet has all the feels and the story, but don't see why Maurice shouldn't finally get his due if we keep this up.

Reactions: BabyBennettov

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Rick Tocchet is gonna win the Adams, take that to the bank. Spent years in the media, made a lot of friends there, and Vancouver has the best record in the league.

If you're hoping for awards for this team, Barkov will get Selke votes, that's about it.

Forsling legitimately deserves Norris consideration, but we all know that's really the award for 'defenseman who scores the most points' and not 'defenseman who plays his position the best.'

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Any chance Maurice wins Adams? Never gets any credit and always get the sense hockey media hates him. Also I get the award usually goes to the coach of team that surprises, but I think we fit in that category too?

Lots of people including myself thought we might be playoff bubble with all the injuries and typical finals hangover. We got through that with no issues, team defense is amazing (people keep telling me that's coaching....), the team plays hard every night, by fancy stats we're probably a top 3 team, guys like Tkachuk and Reino have taken their games to another level with him, don't think anyone expected us near the top of league standings.

I get that Tocchet has all the feels and the story, but don't see why Maurice shouldn't finally get his due if we keep this up.

Are you trying to get Maurice fired?

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
What’s the outlook on Reino’s point production, Paul?
- Day to day

• Haha
Reactions: Vilam

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Rick Tocchet is gonna win the Adams, take that to the bank. Spent years in the media, made a lot of friends there, and Vancouver has the best record in the league.

If you're hoping for awards for this team, Barkov will get Selke votes, that's about it.

Forsling legitimately deserves Norris consideration, but we all know that's really the award for 'defenseman who scores the most points' and not 'defenseman who plays his position the best.'
Yeah he's not gonna be a finalist, but I think he's gonna get votes. Maybe around 5th/10th place. Which is actually really good for a primarily defensive dman.

Even Slavin, arguably the best defensive defenseman in the league, rarely gets ranked that high in Norris voting.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Crazy how much love PoMo now gets after the enormous amount of hate he got lol. And so many people thought he was a bad hire from to jump too. And for so long we just kept flipping through coaches. Yeah I get the Q thing was not results based, but the point stands.

Hey Pomo, which number coach are you since Ekblad was drafted?

1708992164069.png

DAMN THAT MANY?

• Wow
Reactions: BabyBennettov
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad