Post-Game Talk: 3-2 win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Kulikov. He had a rough start and has been exceptional since like mid-December.
Wasn’t a fan of his last time he was here, but he’s settled in nicely since the start and I’m happy to have him.

Wilson had such a flop, while I really wasn’t too surprised he wasn’t called for it since it was Herbert, it was ridiculous that he wasn’t.

Glad OV didn’t score.

Forsling is such a stud, what a sequence on that GWG. Broke up the 3 on 1, rushed back and scored. He’s so good, usually takes a few strong strides for him to get caught up with a player.

Reactions: VIMMM

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
After rewatching this morning at home, Wilson did flop a bit, but that was a pretty good penalty imo. Barkov reached in and leaned on Wilson enough to impede his progress. Herbert’s arm went up late which didn’t help the fan reaction.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Stolarz once again proves my stance that goalies grow on trees and I’m on board with trading Knight.
I’d say that’s true for the regular season… playoffs? That’s the question. Bob certainly went on a heater last year.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Stolarz once again proves my stance that goalies grow on trees and I’m on board with trading Knight.

The league as a whole has a huge goaltending problem. The Panthers are just showing that they have good team defense by being able to bring in guys like Lyon and now Stolarz and make them look like quality NHL starters, when nobody in the past had ever thought that they were.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
I’d say that’s true for the regular season… playoffs? That’s the question. Bob certainly went on a heater last year.

Philly went to the finals with Leighton, Chicago won with Niemi and even Crawford I don’t rate that high, Pitt won with Murray, St Louis won with Binnington, Washington won with Holtby, Colorado won with Kuemper, Vegas won with Hill….i mean… none of these guys were/are regular season or even playoff beasts, world beaters, Vezina winners or even real contenders etc etc proves that team comes first. I think the building from the bottom up is an antiquated mentality. Time and time again literal nobodies have come up to guard between the pipes and taken teams close and to the promise land. The real fort is the team in front of you, goalies are a big product of that. I mean, clearly there are some goalies better than others and I’m not saying at all that you don’t need a good goalie, but unless it’s some out of this world generational goalie talent, I don’t think it’s worth getting hung up on goalies like it use to be the case. Literally guys come out of the woodworks to do enough to give you solid goaltending where what matters more is the team in front. I feel like if we improve some of the holes in front of the goalie we could win with guys like Stolarz or a guy like Ingram in AZ stuff like that…

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Philly went to the finals with Leighton, Chicago won with Niemi and even Crawford I don’t rate that high, Pitt won with Murray, St Louis won with Binnington, Washington won with Holtby, Colorado won with Kuemper, Vegas won with Hill….i mean… none of these guys were/are regular season or even playoff beasts, world beaters, Vezina winners or even real contenders etc etc proves that team comes first. I think the building from the bottom up is an antiquated mentality. Time and time again literal nobodies have come up to guard between the pipes and taken teams close and to the promise land. The real fort is the team in front of you, goalies are a big product of that. I mean, clearly there are some goalies better than others and I’m not saying at all that you don’t need a good goalie, but unless it’s some out of this world generational goalie talent, I don’t think it’s worth getting hung up on goalies like it use to be the case. Literally guys come out of the woodworks to do enough to give you solid goaltending where what matters more is the team in front. I feel like if we improve some of the holes in front of the goalie we could win with guys like Stolarz or a guy like Ingram in AZ stuff like that…
I've felt this way for a while now. And never spend a first round pick on a goalie. And never use a lot of cap on a goalie.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Reddit, folks

IMG_1382.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: RogerRoger

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
Team defense makes good goalies. If the team allows the goalie a clear view of the shooter, keeping the lanes clear, the goalie should make the save. Communication with your dmen so they know your preference on a two on one falls in this category too.

The difference between average and good is anticipation. Knowing what the shooter is going to do and cutting of the angles in order to limit the space available for the puck to go in the net.

Lateral movement is another key. The ability to have the anticipation and being able to move side to side, such as the OV or Stamkos powerplay one-timer, is key to being a good goalie.

If all of the above is there, you would have a great goalie!

The Panthers have excellent team defense, Bob has the anticipation and lateral movement. When he puts it all together, there aren't any better.

Panteras

Sep 14, 2009
I have a feeling Cousins is gonna drive the price of salt through the roof this post season. NHL fans are hilarious. Cousins is somehow a dirty player with a history now, but guys like Trouba with more headshots than a CoD sniper gets a pass…ahh you know, victims should’ve kept their heads up..

Reactions: VIMMM and Vilam

WaitingForThatCab

Mar 11, 2017
Crosscheck Charlie McAvoy got suspended for intentionally headshotting multiple Panthers away from the play earlier this season. You don't see us crying about it for six months.

Granted, I think some of it is just jealousy. McAvoy was a liability in the Panthers/Bruins playoff series, whereas Nick Cousins buried Toronto. Food for thought.

Panteras

Sep 14, 2009
It’s the giant media machine behind you know who. Remember Bennett was public enemy number one after that series and the whole Panthers team were a bunch of dirty players lulzzzz so all Panthers players were under scrutiny and the media was ready to go to push the rhetoric and their cult members eager to eat it up which rubs onto other fans. Had the Panthers missed the playoffs and weren’t a threat Cousins would be more than flying under the radar.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014

Every team out there is looking for the next superstar goalie who can shut down the opposing team from scoring in the playoffs. If Zito and especially Luongo thinks that Knight is the next Quick and they are unwilling to make a Rask-Raycroft type trade then that's that.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I think it’s a mixed bag. For example on your list, without Binnington playing superb in the playoffs, St Louis won’t win. Murray, Holtby (especially him) and Hill had an unusually good stretch and certainly were key to their success. Bob got us to the Finals.

Defense isn’t going to play fantastic all the time so I believe you need a goalie who will make some unreal saves in order to win the Cup. But that’s where we are — I get what you’re saying. I wouldn’t want to commit $10M on a goalie either. But I’m doubtful that your garden variety goalie will get it done either. Let’s see how Skinner is for the Oilers this time. Their D is leaky still but that team is playing better overall. Unless Skinner can stay in top form though, I think the Oilers are out in round 2.

There’s a reason why all teams want a Vasy, a Bob or an Igor.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Team defense makes good goalies. If the team allows the goalie a clear view of the shooter, keeping the lanes clear, the goalie should make the save. Communication with your dmen so they know your preference on a two on one falls in this category too.

The difference between average and good is anticipation. Knowing what the shooter is going to do and cutting of the angles in order to limit the space available for the puck to go in the net.

Lateral movement is another key. The ability to have the anticipation and being able to move side to side, such as the OV or Stamkos powerplay one-timer, is key to being a good goalie.

If all of the above is there, you would have a great goalie!

The Panthers have excellent team defense, Bob has the anticipation and lateral movement. When he puts it all together, there aren't any better.

Yeah you can definitely thank team defense for a chuck of our good looking goalie stats. If this were any other year where a cup run wasn’t a solid possibility, I’d be up for selling high on Stolarz.

Can’t risk that this year

Reactions: PSLguy

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
The league as a whole has a huge goaltending problem. The Panthers are just showing that they have good team defense by being able to bring in guys like Lyon and now Stolarz and make them look like quality NHL starters, when nobody in the past had ever thought that they were.
Lyon looks dope in Detroit though.

He carried them at points too

WaitingForThatCab

Mar 11, 2017
Forsling is a +117 since joining the Panthers

lol

The Panthers have added some depth on the back end as Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman reports (Twitter link) that they have claimed defenseman Gustav Forsling off waivers from Carolina.

The 24-year-old actually cleared waivers last season and spent the entirety of the 2019-20 season in the minors with AHL Charlotte. Forsling, never known for his offensive prowess, had a decent campaign in terms of point production, putting up eight goals and 18 assists in 56 games with the Checkers before the pandemic shut down the rest of the season.

While he was in the minors all of last year, Forsling does have 122 career games of NHL experience, all with Chicago from 2016-17 through 2018-19 with most of those coming under Joel Quenneville, now the head coach of the Panthers. He averaged more than 17 minutes per game and it’s quite possible that he’ll be able to hold his own in a third-pairing role with Florida. Having said that, Forsling likely slots in as the seventh or eighth defender on the depth chart so he may need to wait for some injuries to arise to get his chance with his new team.

1/9/21

Panteras

Sep 14, 2009
I think it’s a mixed bag. For example on your list, without Binnington playing superb in the playoffs, St Louis won’t win. Murray, Holtby (especially him) and Hill had an unusually good stretch and certainly were key to their success. Bob got us to the Finals.

Defense isn’t going to play fantastic all the time so I believe you need a goalie who will make some unreal saves in order to win the Cup. But that’s where we are — I get what you’re saying. I wouldn’t want to commit $10M on a goalie either. But I’m doubtful that your garden variety goalie will get it done either. Let’s see how Skinner is for the Oilers this time. Their D is leaky still but that team is playing better overall. Unless Skinner can stay in top form though, I think the Oilers are out in round 2.

There’s a reason why all teams want a Vasy, a Bob or an Igor.
Yeah I mean that was kind of my point though. Precisely the fact that Binnington and others have gone on absolute heaters. Binnington was an unknown and has since been a middle of the pack goalie. Same thing with Cam Ward for example, after that absolute playoff tare he never lived up to the hype. So that’s my point, goalies coming out of nowhere and going berserk is kinda lowkey common. Halak too remember? But yes indeed you need a good goalie that can make great saves or you can also get yourself a monster team and win it with Kuemper… the truth lies probably somewhere in the middle. I brought it up because Stolarz is an example of yet another very very decent backup that we’ve had through the years and makes me wonder if they would’ve sufficed if we had spread Bobs money around and built a better team in front of them. With Knight, there’s still lots of uncertainty to have committed so early. But we’ll see. Just saying I have no reservations dealing him if it means we can get someone that helps us now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad