Post-Game Talk: #27 | FLYERS 5 at Flames 2 | Mon., Dec. 4, 9:00 pm ET

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
I have no problem benching or "holding players accountable". Babcock this has put both Marner and Nylander on the fourth line. It's way easier to do that with wingers. It's harder with centers who have the puck alot and especially dmen who need to know what their partner is doing.

What bothers me is putting Patrick, who doesn't look comfortable, confident or aggressive enough with two other players that aren't confident or stable with Sanheim on D who also didn't look steady.

That grouping wasn't good at all last night and consequently and imo rightly was benched if you want to win. That is almost the definition of putting players in a position to fail. I think if possible all the forwards with less than a year and dmen probably two years will definitely benefit from playing with solid veterans.

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
The Flames forward made a nice move on Manning near the end of the game. It could happen to anyone.

Hey, they got a win. Coaching moves are always going to be questioned no matter who's piloting the ship. Manning is going to be bashed no matter how he plays...that's just the way it is.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Hakstol is so matchup obsessed you can’t even give other defensemen not named MacDonald, Hagg, & Manning time with the better lines.

Sergachev might not play a lot of ice time in general but a lot of his 5v5 time is with their best forwards. His main partner is Stralman too. Between that & getting PP the squeeze the most out of him in a smaller role.

Reactions: Magua and hatcher

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Hakstol is so matchup obsessed you can’t even give other defensemen not named MacDonald, Hagg, & Manning time with the better lines.

Sergachev might not play a lot of ice time in general but a lot of his 5v5 time is with their best forwards. His main partner is Stralman too. Between that & getting PP the squeeze the most out of him in a smaller role.
Well it certainly helps playing with better players (see b schenn) and i totally agree with building rookies confidence like that. But when you have too many inexperienced young players and unproductive vets its hard to do. Confidence is super important especially for young players and its certainly not improving yet for most of our young players and that more than anything else should prod Hextall to move on from Hak.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Part of the reason we see the ice times that we do is Hakstol doesn't know how to manage a bench on the road so instead of getting played in the matchup game he benches the guys he doesn't trust and rolls with his guys. Despite better numbers on the road than at home, Sanheim averages 2 less minutes per game on the road than he does at home. You have to consider that's over 12 games and during that time Gudas got booted from 2 games, left injured in another, Ghost left a game due to injury, and Will O'Neill and Mark Alt dressed for games. Amac was hurt too.

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Part of the reason we see the ice times that we do is Hakstol doesn't know how to manage a bench on the road so instead of getting played in the matchup game he benches the guys he doesn't trust and rolls with his guys. Despite better numbers on the road than at home, Sanheim averages 2 less minutes per game on the road than he does at home. You have to consider that's over 12 games and during that time Gudas got booted from 2 games, left injured in another, Ghost left a game due to injury, and Will O'Neill and Mark Alt dressed for games.

That's just embarrassing. He's a ****ing dunce. At some point Hexy is going to have to put two things on a scale - his loyalty on one side, and the fact that his coach is the laughingstock of the league on the other - and make a decision.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I went to bed after realizing they weren't going to lose, thanks to Elliott apparently.

It's always nice waking up and checking out the postgame thread and seeing our superstar hillbilly coach taking pictures with all his fans while Patrick, Konecny and Sanheim have a three way thumb war on the bench for the entire 3rd period.

At least he was smart enough to do it on the road. Not sure I’d test my luck with that at the WFC if I was him. :laugh:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
That's just embarrassing. He's a ****ing dunce. At some point Hexy is going to have to put two things on a scale - his loyalty on one side, and the fact that his coach is the laughingstock of the league on the other - and make a decision.

You assume Hextall has the competence to see Hakstols faults. Im not so sure anymore. I think we are royally f***ed with no hope in sight unless fans stop showing up as losses mount.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
You assume Hextall has the competence to see Hakstols faults. Im not so sure anymore. I think we are royally ****ed with no hope in sight unless fans stop showing up as losses mount.

Well, I think he probably sees them and dismisses them, or rationalizes them. I don't think it's possible for him to not see them unless he has been concussed playing ball hockey with Brett in the basement or had an accident while hunting moose with spears. And I think all of the noise around this situation is going to get through his defenses eventually, if it hasn't already. I'm not confident it will force his hand, but I think he will see it. I mean, I really think he does see it already.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Laughton had the best ES CF-CA at 8-9. Patrick was 2-18 and Konecny was 3-21.

I think they need to put Raffl with Patrick.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Theres so many questions to ask but I think I would ask about his deployment in the third period and why they tend to sit back and not push forward

Reactions: Foggy14

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Even Jonesy brought it up last night when they were on the 5 minute PP how conservative they were playing it. He was advocating that they go for the kill shot with another goal.

Reactions: Foggy14

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Rememberwhen Hextall said that he wouldn't have a young guy in the roster if they weren't playing regularly? Less than 10 minutes for Konecny, Patrick and Sanheim. What more needs to be said. The handling of the young guys has been nothing short of atrocious by the coaching staff. And why isn't the veteran leadership group standing up for these guys? If they can't see or don't care about what's happening with their development, then they're just a accountable a the coaching staff are.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hextall is not going to throw in the season right now, and the kids aren't playing well and people make too many excuses because they want the kids to blossom NOW and it doesn't work that way, player development is not linear. Nor are the kids being held back, they're holding themselves back. This is the NHL, the "not here for long" league. It's the same in baseball, produce or go back to AAA/AHL ball.

Patrick is lost right now, I think he looked better physically but didn't have a good feel for the game. Keep his minutes limited until he "earns" more PT, because that will shelter him until he gets his "NHL legs." There is no point pushing him right now, it would just be counterproductive. When he's ready, it'll be obvious and his minutes will jump from 10-12 a game to 17 in a couple of weeks.

I'd put Konency on the 4th line, 2nd PP and double shift him with G & Couts once a period, that would be about 12 TOI. I'd even consider him on the PK, he has the skills to excel there. As he plays more responsibly, I'd increase his 1st line shifts, setting him up as an option for the Simmonds trade this spring, and giving him an incentive to work hard on the 4th line. With Leier and Laughton, that could be a checking line that might score.

When Gudas returns, I'd bench Manning, and make Sanheim - Gudas my 2nd pair and Ghost - Hagg the 3rd pair, and double shift Ghost with Provorov in offensive zone situations where I want an offensive push.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Rememberwhen Hextall said that he wouldn't have a young guy in the roster if they weren't playing regularly? Less than 10 minutes for Konecny, Patrick and Sanheim. What more needs to be said. The handling of the young guys has been nothing short of atrocious by the coaching staff. And why isn't the veteran leadership group standing up for these guys? If they can't see or don't care about what's happening with their development, then they're just a accountable a the coaching staff are.

Yes, I do. Roster decisions aren't made based on what happens in a couple of games. By any measure, Sanheim, Konecny and Patrick have been regular players over the course of this season so far.

Also, players don't decide other players ice time.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Even Jonesy brought it up last night when they were on the 5 minute PP how conservative they were playing it. He was advocating that they go for the kill shot with another goal.

They put the 2nd unit out there and they almost gave up a goal within a minute.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He didn't even trust Konecny enough to put him out on the ice for a 5 minute PP up 3 goals in the 3rd. That guy has major trust issues. MacDonald playing the last minute was just icing on the cake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad