Post-Game Talk: #27 | FLYERS 5 at Flames 2 | Mon., Dec. 4, 9:00 pm ET

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I just read the Urban Dictionary description, and it was more than enough for me.

But it's an accurate way to describe Flip and a few others, Beef, I'll give you that.

Reactions: Amorgus

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
I would honestly rather us be fighting it out at the bottom giving the youngsters plenty of experience, letting them live through their mistakes, regardless if it cost us games. Than watch the absolute shit show we have seen the last 2 years.

This veteran love bullshit has to stop. It really does.

Reactions: Rebels57

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Flip is like weise and umberger. Skating up and down the ice without doing anything noteworthy. Just a warm body.

Reactions: Rebels57

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Flip is like weise and umberger. Skating up and down the ice without doing anything noteworthy. Just a warm body.

The thing is, Filppula looked great at the beginning of the season. Then as the team went over the cliff, he reverted back to the pass-first-to-nobody player the Lightning fans warned us about. Guys like Weise and Lehtera are never-goods in the Flyers uniforms.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I'm more annoyed after this game than I was after the losses.

If this young player hazing continues next game, after their idiotic excuse of "trying to be extra careful to end the losing streak" is gone...

Well, Hagg played almost 21 mins...much more than recently. Surely that's positive.
I don't like Hakstol but he's just the Coach and he badly needs wins. Of course he's gonna rely on those players he feels most comfortable with. If Hextall and co. want more ice time for the young guys then it's on them to put the pressure on Hakstol. Otherwise they need to go first.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
giphy.gif

Ok, that was great for Elliott, and the result will give the boys a bit of a boost, but ...

Ended with...
Sanheim 9:24
Konency 7:56
Patrick 8:22

Holy ****ing **** what a stupid ****

I couldn't agree more with what you guys are saying (most of you, anyway).

Sanheim with under 10 minutes in a game where he's super motivated to play well?

On Patrick, I'm at the point where it's become pretty clear that burning a slide-eligible ELC year to play limited minutes under this coaching staff is GM malpractice on Hexy's part.

And 7:56 for TK. That's just crazy.

And Sam, who earned a spot in the Flyers opening night lineup, languishes in the minors while every defenseman picked after him in the first round of the 2013 draft has played significantly more NHL games than Sam's grand total of 3: Nikita Zadorov - 165 games; Josh Morrissey - 110; Mirco Mueller - 67; Shea Theodore - 65; and Ryan Pulock - 29.

And Hexy has to know that the agents for Sam and TK are thinking through options to try to get their guys out of this situation where an inexperienced coach is motivated to make short term decisions to save his hide while player development takes a back seat.

I should be happy after the win, but I'm not.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
And Sam, who earned a spot in the Flyers opening night lineup, languishes in the minors while every defenseman picked after him in the first round of the 2013 draft has played significantly more NHL games than Sam's grand total of 3: Nikita Zadorov - 165 games; Josh Morrissey - 110; Mirco Mueller - 67; Shea Theodore - 65; and Ryan Pulock - 29.

Not happy with him rotting in the minors either. But Sam Morin was the highest risk highest reward type selection out of those names. And we knew that his size and growth spurt right after the draft would hold him back until he grew into his hulking body.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Rewatching the goals just now, I want to reiterate how pathetic Weise’s effort was on the Patrick turn over that eventually led to the Monahan goal and being benched.

Patrick makes a nice trailer pass to Weise. He misses his forehand, but it’s right in his wheelhouse on the backhand. It shouldn’t have even been a turnover because any pro can catch that pass. A pee wee could. No Flame was even near. Doesn’t even attempt to catch it. Lazily back checks after when he could’ve put more pressure easily. Then when the shot gets missed, he half ass glides to the puck along the wall and is too late on what was an easy to get puck, it’s cycled down low, goal. Truly and utterly pathetic. And that’s who you want to put with two young players who need help and confidence? You set them up to fail. But oh remember Weise made a half decent play to give Patrick his first goal 5 years ago?

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Good game by Elliott. A fourth line of Leier-Laughton-Weal is better than the "heavy" version, but that is F K N obvious.

Problem with Hak is that he not only punishes the "risky" ie. skilled young players, he remembers and fears that they will screw up again and benches them to be "safe". All the while ignoring the same or worse errors by others. All the young players know it as well.

You can't tell me Giroux-Couturier-TK and Raffl-Patrick-Voracek wouldn't have looked as good as the two lines today. It also is in the team's long term best interest. Sanheim's usage just doesn't make any sense as well.

Reactions: cali101 and Foggy14

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Rewatching the goals just now, I want to reiterate how pathetic Weise’s effort was on the Patrick turn over that eventually led to the Monahan goal and being benched.

Patrick makes a nice trailer pass to Weise. He misses his forehand, but it’s right in his wheelhouse on the backhand. It shouldn’t have even been a turnover because any pro can catch that pass. A pee wee could. No Flame was even near. Doesn’t even attempt to catch it. Lazily back checks after when he could’ve put more pressure easily. Then when the shot gets missed, he half ass glides to the puck along the wall and is too late on what was an easy to get puck, it’s cycled down low, goal. Truly and utterly pathetic. And that’s who you want to put with two young players who need help and confidence? You set them up to fail. But oh remember Weise made a half decent play to give Patrick his first goal 5 years ago?
Ha, Dale Weise don't do rebounds. I seriously think this guy thinks he's a super star in his own mind, which is absolutely terrifying on several different levels.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Well, Hagg played almost 21 mins...much more than recently. Surely that's positive.
I don't like Hakstol but he's just the Coach and he badly needs wins. Of course he's gonna rely on those players he feels most comfortable with. If Hextall and co. want more ice time for the young guys then it's on them to put the pressure on Hakstol. Otherwise they need to go first.
Well, to start, Hagg sucks so I don't see that as a positive at all. He's basically a younger, cheaper, MacDonald right now. Maybe it's a Swede thing, but he ices the puck and makes awful passes on a level I haven't seen since Grossmann.

Next , if Hakstol is desperate for wins, and honestly believes that benching these kids is the best way to achieve that, then we have a huge problem. He shouldn't feel more comfortable with playing a guy like Hagg 21 minutes but Sanheim not even 10. It shows horrible talent evaluation, horrible coaching, and a complete lack of player development skills.

They can't just say "well, if they want more time, they have to earn it", or whatever other stupid shit the media says, because he does this when they have bad games, when they have good games, and even when they have great games. They have earned more time and this is still happening.

For example, there's no doubt at all that playing Sanheim a legitimate amount of time makes the team better. The kid is our 3rd or 4th best defensemen already but he's being put in a situation where he has no chance to positively impact the game.

Hakstol really believes that MacDonald, Hagg, and Manning are leagues ahead of him, somehow. All three are trash but are getting consistently huge minutes.

How are any of these young guys supposed to perform well when 1) they get scrap time and sit entire periods, and 2) when they do play they're stuck with HORRIBLE players, like Weise, Lehtera, or Manning? It's just not realistic.

Hes both setting unrealistic expectations and actively preventing them from reaching them. It's like telling someone they need to type 1000 words, but they only have 30 seconds to do it and you take away their keyboard... what the f*** do they expect to happen?

Reactions: BernieParent

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
In Dave Hakstol's mindset you bench any player younger than 25 for educational reasons once they make a single mistake.
If a player is older than 25 he won't learn anyway so you keep playing him and praise him for his Veteran status because maybe a bigger ego will help him to play better.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
My biggest problem is the hindering of the kids, Hexy made all these solid moves to acquire and not let go of picks to get these guys, and now when the season is lost this moron of a coach wants to bench them for making a mistake, there’s a reason they call them rookie mistakes asshat

At first it seemed that Hexy was going to lead this franchise with patience and pride, now it looks like he doesn’t care, OR he is tanking and doesn’t want to make it seem like it, so he keeps Hackcock around to be the fall guy, I might be reaching but I have to keep some kind of faith

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Kinda crazy to bench the kids when up. Mind baffling really. Hak loves his vets with a pasion

On a side note, I think Hagg has looked a lot better getting bumped down a pair. Not as overwhelmed and while he still makes the safe pass instead of the sexy looking one, I think overall he has been pretty good recently. Would be nice to bump him down one more pairing once the top 4 is set, but overall a night and day difference between when he was with Provy vs. Ghost.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
My biggest problem is the hindering of the kids, Hexy made all these solid moves to acquire and not let go of picks to get these guys, and now when the season is lost this moron of a coach wants to bench them for making a mistake, there’s a reason they call them rookie mistakes asshat

At first it seemed that Hexy was going to lead this franchise with patience and pride, now it looks like he doesn’t care, OR he is tanking and doesn’t want to make it seem like it, so he keeps Hackcock around to be the fall guy, I might be reaching but I have to keep some kind of faith

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
This win has proven Hextall's patience with the team, and unwavering faith in Hakstol, is paying major dividends.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad