GDT: #24 New Jersey Devils vs. Colorado Avalanche: Baba YeTWO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I don't understand not playing Gelinas on the PP at all

also, Merrill is regressing. again. he was OK for a week or two but he was all over the place last night.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I can only imagine the near-aneurysm Bleedred had that we lost to Reto Berra. :laugh:

Was there live, tough game to figure out. I feel they competed, those two quick goals were just back breaking though. What I feared was getting caught in a back and forth transition game with them, and even though it was only for a brief period of time, that's what cost us on the 2 goals. Definitely looked like Moore's worst game of the season, at least his worst period. He was hesitant to make decisions and it burned him.

Offensively, I don't think they got too many quality chances unfortunately. Had a couple close opportunities in the 3rd but couldn't get pucks through. It's frustrating in knowing that if the top 5 forwards can only muster 1 goal than we're probably in for a loss.

Camille the Eel

Is it just possible that with adding both Elias and Kennedy to the mix we are at a cross roads? We were a club that was developing youth and content to compete this year with an eye to the future; we suddenly look like we want a couple of old guys to make a current play off run - old SLOW guys. And Patrick does not fit in with Hynes up tempo system.

Okay, I'm not voting against Patrick. I'll pay to see the second option, the current play off run. We trade youth for some (hopefully) scoring. And look at the Montreal game. But we do look weaker skating and pressuring the puck, and weaker on the puck since he came back. Yet that also coincides with Gelly's run on defense.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
I personally have been watching Moore suck the past few weeks. In Montreal, he got 3rd star and accolades for a great game but he was actually horrible up until the assist to Palmieri and the lucky break on the second shot to win it in OT.

He can't seem to take a pass, stumbles when trying take a pass which in motion, takes bad angles with forwards rushing to his outside/usually getting beat to the net because of it, seems lost when the play is right in front of his net.

I actually liked him as a prospect when he was drafted as he was supposedly a neidermeyer-like skater and since we passed on Jon Carlson, I though he would be a good add. I was intrigued when Shero added him but he SHOULD BE a 5-6 dman but is being placed in a top 4 role because of the suckage that is Merrill and Gelinas.

I can't believe that I'm actually anxious for Schlemko to return and be paired with Severson, then Moore can drop to the bottom pairing....

Merrill is waiver exempt and I wouldn't mind him getting a few games in Albany while we bring up Helgeson, who had a very good training camp. He can at least hit people and clear the crease (unlike Merrill or Moore).

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
The Greene-Larsson pairing plays almost every defensive zone faceoff and (without actually looking at the numbers) probably most of every pk. I don't think they can afford to split that up.

oxman44

Dec 1, 2015
Hunterdon
We got outskated pretty bad for the first 2 periods last night. we lost most of the 50-50 pucks and had trouble finding room against a desperate and fast team that was really moving their feet.
IMO the biggest problem(and there are several) in this game and most of our other losses is we are still not moving the puck fast and decisively enough. either by making good passes or moving our feet. Its no coincidence to me that many of our "bad" losses are against teams that are young and/or very fast. these teams are really moving their feet and jumping us in the D ad O zones and taking away our time and space. Making it difficult for us to come through the nuetral zone with speed like we like to do. And we arent moving the puck quick enough or skating through it, to get around the pressure and its resulting in us playing to the outside way to much and not getting many quality looks 5 on 5. Also its leading to us getting hemmed in or zone too much. Passing and fumbling the puck have been a problem for us for years. Its gotten alot better but you still see it in most of our losses.
o ya, first post. love the boards!

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

also, Merrill is regressing. again. he was OK for a week or two but he was all over the place last night.

It's bizarre.

It's one of the few things Gelinas does well -- and he can do it very well -- and Hynes doesn't choose to use it to the team's advantage.

I love Greene, but Gelinas absolutely has to be out there over him. Greene plays enough tough minutes anyway.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Except that Gelinas has been as bad a train wreck on the PP lately as he is 5-on-5. The meme is at worst he's high risk high reward but how often have we seen the high reward over the last year and a half? He's become completely overrated offensively.

And Merrill really wasn't bad last night other than looking like Colin White on a breakaway in the offensive zone in the second period, some of you see what you want to see.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I hate to be redundant, but the two biggest issues that will keep this team out of the playoffs is the lack of bottom six and defensive scoring. I'm not surprised by our bottom six, just look at the players, however, I am by our defense. I thought Larsson, Greene and Severson would produce more than they have with the others chipping in. Maybe it's for the best. The team does play hard and seems to be in most of the games they have played. Still, I believe we still need a another good draft pick at forward and a offensive type defensemen. Tall order, but that's the way I see it.

I thought that was going to happen as well, not do much Greene, but I thought they Larsson and Severson would put up more points, not going to get upset because they are playing very well for young defensemen.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
We got outskated pretty bad for the first 2 periods last night. we lost most of the 50-50 pucks and had trouble finding room against a desperate and fast team that was really moving their feet.
IMO the biggest problem(and there are several) in this game and most of our other losses is we are still not moving the puck fast and decisively enough. either by making good passes or moving our feet. Its no coincidence to me that many of our "bad" losses are against teams that are young and/or very fast. these teams are really moving their feet and jumping us in the D ad O zones and taking away our time and space. Making it difficult for us to come through the nuetral zone with speed like we like to do. And we arent moving the puck quick enough or skating through it, to get around the pressure and its resulting in us playing to the outside way to much and not getting many quality looks 5 on 5. Also its leading to us getting hemmed in or zone too much. Passing and fumbling the puck have been a problem for us for years. Its gotten alot better but you still see it in most of our losses.

Welcome to the loony bin. :laugh:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Except that Gelinas has been as bad a train wreck on the PP lately as he is 5-on-5. The meme is at worst he's high risk high reward but how often have we seen the high reward over the last year and a half? He's become completely overrated offensively.

And Merrill really wasn't bad last night other than looking like Colin White on a breakaway in the offensive zone in the second period, some of you see what you want to see.

Merrill turned the puck over multiple times reverting back to his earlier season days. he also adds literally 0 offense.

he had been playing better. but last night he was not good.

Camille the Eel

I think we were defensively more than adequate last night and have generally been very good.

We need to score more than one goal to win. With normal offense, no one would be complaining about our D. And that includes individual criticisms of Gelinas, Moore and Merrill. Gelinas has had a fine couple of games in my eyes.

I think we are actually at the top statistically for the season or near the top as far as limiting other team's chances.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA

If we can't score more then 2 goals against the Avs at home, we don't deserve to win. There like the Oilers lots of forwards with speed and skill, but both are bottom feeders and are both weak at the back end and in goal. We made Berra look like Glen Hall.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
I think we were defensively more than adequate last night and have generally been very good.

We need to score more than one goal to win. With normal offense, no one would be complaining about our D. And that includes individual criticisms of Gelinas, Moore and Merrill. Gelinas has had a fine couple of games in my eyes.

I think we are actually at the top statistically for the season or near the top as far as limiting other team's chances.

I think it's more due to been a low-event team than anything else. We're 4th in shots against (27,9), but dead last in shots for (25,8).

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I would rather go with the blow up dancing car dealership things instead of O'Neill.

I don't like him much either, but, it seemed like the team was playing smarter/better with him in.

Tootoo is a liability.

Would you be fine with Stef in and #22 out?

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Greene is playing like an extra minute per game over Larsson, so I'm not sure where that 3-4 minutes comes in. Larsson plays over 18 minutes at even strength and is 3rd in the league in SH TOI per game (Greene is 1st by the way), so I can understand not giving him PP time. If you give him more PP time you're gonna have to reduce some of his minutes at even strength and the PK, which is where he's excelling right now.

I'm not for sure because I haven't really looked at the minutes but Larsson's averages might be a little different than Greene's just because of that 5min major and a couple more penalties.

Rather have Lars on the PP than most of the defenseman sans Severson.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I don't like him much either, but, it seemed like the team was playing smarter/better with him in.

Tootoo is a liability.

Would you be fine with Stef in and #22 out?

I would absolutely rather have Matteau as opposed to Tootoo, O'Neill, or Gionta.
If the bottom six is going to have problem putting up numbers and Shero can't pull the trigger on a trade... I would rather have a youngster with potential in there knowing he needs to play 100% per night to keep his job as opposed to a 30 year old with less motivation that has already reached their ceiling.

Last edited:

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Cammalleri-Henrique-Stempniak
Boucher-Zajac-Palmieri
Kalinin-Elias-Tlusty
Matteau-Josefson-Ruutu

When everyone's healthy I would like to go with this. Give Boucher a shot to keep his AHL momentum going. Kalinin still looks better and better and Tlusty could benefit from Elias. Ruutu will bring some much needed physicality. He can contribute offensively as well. Josefson belongs either on the fourth line or the pressbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad