GDT: #24 New Jersey Devils vs. Colorado Avalanche: Baba YeTWO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Sorry, I have a pretty big project due tomorrow and naturally procrastinated more than I should have. So you guys get pretty much the same GDT :laugh:

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Sorry, I have a pretty big project due tomorrow and naturally procrastinated more than I should have. So you guys get pretty much the same GDT :laugh:

the number of videos has doubled since part 1 man

liquid1988

Oct 14, 2013
Exit 88 GSPW
And Gelinas is playing over Schlemko....Makes sense, right? I hope Hynes doesn't fall for the old "If it works don't fix it" thing.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
And Gelinas is playing over Schlemko....Makes sense, right? I hope Hynes doesn't fall for the old "If it works don't fix it" thing.

He already did that scratching Merrill when we were on a win streak, for a guy so into analytics he's apparently a huge believer in the old-time (re: Stan Fischler) 'you don't change a winning lineup'

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
you meant baba yeTWO right?

dhMeAzK.gif

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm really liking the potential of the Patrik Elias-Travis Zajac-Kyle Palmieri line.

And I fully support the 'you don't change a winning lineup'

Gelinas had 19 shifts in the last game for 13:00 minutes. With that he had 2 shots, 4 hits and 3 blocked shots. He was not on the ice for any goals against. It was an improvement from his last couple of games. So if the kid who has been sitting for a while, and then shows gains with the opportunities he has, why penalize him? That is not the message Hynes wants to send to young player. It is a good decision.

liquid1988

Oct 14, 2013
Exit 88 GSPW
I'm really liking the potential of the Patrik Elias-Travis Zajac-Kyle Palmieri line.

Gelinas had 19 shifts in the last game for 13:00 minutes. With that he had 2 shots, 4 hits and 3 blocked shots. He was not on the ice for any goals against. It was an improvement from his last couple of games. So if the kid who has been sitting for a while, and then shows gains with the opportunities he has, why penalize him? That is not the message Hynes wants to send to young player. It is a good decision.

We have seen this many times this season though. Gelina makes multiple mistakes in a game (leading to a goal against), sits for a few games. Comes back does pretty well but ofcourse reverts back to making dumb mistakes a game or two later (leading to us losing that game most of the time). History shows Gelina is INCONSISTENT (unlike our alternative, Schlemko). Fine, I will give him one more chance to be a responsible defenseman but judging by his history he will screw it up yet again and make us lose a very winnable game.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

Good post.

If he seems to be making steps -- albeit baby ones -- keep him in there. That's what this year was supposed to be for, anyways.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

Agreed, well said.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Haha, people complain when Gelinas plays and when he doesn't play...

Go Devils!

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA

He didn't play bad at all for the minutes he played. I can see they don't want to give up on the kid or at the very least raise is value.

I also believe we need to score first tonight. No matter how bad their goal-tending and defense are, the AVS are another western conference team that gives us trouble.

liquid1988

Oct 14, 2013
Exit 88 GSPW
Haha, people complain when Gelinas plays and when he doesn't play...

Go Devils!

I will be the last person on Earth complaining about Gelinas NOT playing. Last season was a different story because we needed his shot to create what little scoring chances we had but this seasons a different beast.

MNDevilsfan

Jan 9, 2015
St. Paul, MN
I have no problem keeping Gelinas in. I agree that his overall play hasn't been as poor as many seem to believe, and I'd really like to see if building up some confidence will bring the offense back.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
I will be the last person on Earth complaining about Gelinas NOT playing. Last season was a different story because we needed his shot to create what little scoring chances we had but this seasons a different beast.

Curious if you and all the other Gelly bashers say the same about Jon Merrill. Love how Gelinas is always the whipping boy on the defense when Jon Merrill has been useless both offensively and defensively.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Merrill was bashed plenty two weeks ago and he never had a game as bad as Gelinas on Friday night, and Gelinas's offense has dissapeared. It is ironic that Schlemko's kid being born is really the only reason he's not in the lineup, otherwise there would have been a lineup change Saturday.

liquid1988

Oct 14, 2013
Exit 88 GSPW
Watch the first 2 goals by The Senetors and tell me who made the 2 terrible,lazy, brainless plays.Let's not forget Fridays game either. It's fine, people think that because he played well on Saturday that he deserves another chance but don't bother saying "Bench Gelina" when he makes the same exact boneheaded mistakes in the next few games.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
We have seen this many times this season though. Gelina makes multiple mistakes in a game (leading to a goal against), sits for a few games. Comes back does pretty well but ofcourse reverts back to making dumb mistakes a game or two later (leading to us losing that game most of the time). History shows Gelina is INCONSISTENT (unlike our alternative, Schlemko). Fine, I will give him one more chance to be a responsible defenseman but judging by his history he will screw it up yet again and make us lose a very winnable game.

It is a valid point to question Gelinas staying in the lineup and I don't think it is a "right or wrong" thing as much as it is Hynes establishing a culture.

But I think we sometimes forget where these guys are in their development...We've seen the face for a few years now so it is pretty easy to forget Gelinas only has 136 games of NHL experience.

liquid1988

Oct 14, 2013
Exit 88 GSPW
Merrill was bashed plenty two weeks ago and he never had a game as bad as Gelinas on Friday night, and Gelinas's offense has dissapeared. It is ironic that Schlemko's kid being born is really the only reason he's not in the lineup, otherwise there would have been a lineup change Saturday.

Schlemko skated this morning and is available to play for tonight's game but Hynes wanted to stick with the same lineup as Saturday.

liquid1988

Oct 14, 2013
Exit 88 GSPW
It is a valid point to question Gelinas staying in the lineup and I don't think it is a "right or wrong" thing as much as it is Hynes establishing a culture.

But I think we sometimes forget where these guys are in their development...We've seen the face for a few years now so it is pretty easy to forget Gelinas only has 136 games of NHL experience.

Larrson is technically "still developing" and is a much more sound defenseman, even after last seasons debacle. I understand the want and need for a young player to develop but that is what Albanys for. (obviously too late for that now in Gellys case)

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Colorado has a fast and skilled top line, but are not very deep and have a poor defense.

The Devils should win easily if they stick to their game. However, teams like Colorado always seem to give us trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad