Post-Game Talk: #23 - 11/23/18 | RANGERS @ flyers | 1:00 - NBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008
Good lord. A few months ago Lias was the second coming and a surefire C. He could've tossed your war medal and your firstborn back at you and would still be worshipped. Geezus

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Good lord. A few months ago Lias was the second coming and a surefire C. He could've tossed your war medal and your firstborn back at you and would still be worshipped. Geezus

Lias barely get ice time while Vesey get top minutes last game and he might be one of the prospects who might struggle in NHL - since the pace is so quick, but I hope he is successful so I avoid to speculate on it and let Lias develop in his own pace. :nod:

Reactions: Rongomania

dangsLITE

Jan 16, 2011
NYC
This is the problem. People think a 7th overall pick should be a top-line player all the time. That's just not how it works. Look at players drafted in that range and what they turn into. Guys like Kadri, Brassard, Hartnell, Mikko Koivu, Vanek, Lupul, Okposo, Gagner. And that's just the players that actually carved out a nice NHL career for themselves.

7th overall picks aren't sure-fire 1st liners contrary to what many seem to think.

They don’t have to be top line players in the long run, and I never said that. We don’t know for certain if Chytil will become one, but he has already made it clear that he has the talent to if the pieces fall into place.

Anderson does not appear to have this talent level. I wish I could send the clip from yesterday where he gets a pass in the neutral zone with no one near him, slows down to unnecessarily stickhandle then dumps it. Would like give him the benefit of the doubt that he was just nervous/playing it safe, but literally no one was on him. He should have been off to the races... or at least dumped it with some force.

Hopefully, he comes around but hard to believe he was BPA at #7 at this point.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
If people are wondering why Zuc was on the top line you can look no further than why Spooner kept entering the top 6,they are trying to build value. Zuc is getting traded, they want him to get 40 or so points before the deadline so that he is a valuable commodity. Has nothing to do with Chytil, it's part of the rebuild strategy imo.

Can they just move him now?

His value isn’t going to change much unless he just goes bonkers or completely tanks.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
LgeGPGAPtsPIM+/-GPGAPtsPIM
2015-16HV71 JonkopingSweHL220006-740000
2016-17HV71 JonkopingSweHL429101918211641518
2017-18Frolunda HCSweHL227714206----------
2017-18Hartford Wolf PackAHL2559148----------
2017-18New York RangersNHL711201----------
2018-19Hartford Wolf Pack*AHL14481215-3
2018-19New York RangersNHL8011101
NHL Totals1512310
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]
Where exactly on this does it show he's a scorer on every level?
Someone should stay far far away from data management or analysis

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
This is the problem. People think a 7th overall pick should be a top-line player all the time. That's just not how it works. Look at players drafted in that range and what they turn into. Guys like Kadri, Brassard, Hartnell, Mikko Koivu, Vanek, Lupul, Okposo, Gagner. And that's just the players that actually carved out a nice NHL career for themselves.

7th overall picks aren't sure-fire 1st liners contrary to what many seem to think.
For the point to really stand though you have to look at 8-12 as well. Look at the rate that 1st line/top pair talent gets drafted in that range. Then the rate for elite talent, then the rate for 2nd liners.

I'm sure that if you did that your point would still stand

I'm not expecting you to do that. I think this is directed more at the whiners

Edit: the other issue is if you look at 8-12 from his draft year. A LOT of people wanted another player and so far they are right. So when they look at the rationale as "well hes the most pro ready" and then you see that the rationale is completely wrong (hes got fewer points and gp then 7 other later first rounders) I can understand people being annoyed at the pick.

What is stupid is people projecting abject disaster for the player when hes in his D 2 year and has already played nhl games. Plus he doesnt look lost and he produced at every level.

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
For the point to really stand though you have to look at 8-12 as well. Look at the rate that 1st line/top pair talent gets drafted in that range. Then the rate for elite talent, then the rate for 2nd liners.

I'm sure that if you did that your point would still stand

I'm not expecting you to do that. I think this is directed more at the whiners

The other issue is if you look at 8-12 from his draft year. A LOT of people wanted another player and so far they are right. So when they look at the rationale as "well hes the most pro ready" and then you see that the rationale is completely wrong (hes got fewer points and go then 7 other later first rounders) I can understand people being annoyed at the pick.

What is stupid is people projecting abject disaster for the player when hes in his D 2 year and has already played nhl games. Plus he doesnt look lost and he produced at every level.

sorry, I only looked at picks 6, 7 and 8. As much as I love to spend an hour going through the previous 20 drafts, I have better things to do today haha. Flying to Dublin tomorrow for a conference and still have to pack.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
sorry, I only looked at picks 6, 7 and 8. As much as I love to spend an hour going through the previous 20 drafts, I have better things to do today haha. Flying to Dublin tomorrow for a conference and still have to pack.
Yea I was saying I did not expect you to do that. Anyone who wants to whine should do it themselves. At least they might have a chance at forming a reasonable argument that is backed up by history then. But what they'd find would disagree with their narrative so they won't do that.

There ARE valid complaints to make as well (I highlighted them in my other post) so I don't want to unfairly dismiss all criticism of the pick. But some criticism is waaaay overboard.

Make sure you work out your arms regularly

Yknow...so they don't get tired...bc you're flying (Gets pelted with rotten vegetables and D battery's...batteries?)

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yea I was saying I did not expect you to do that. Anyone who wants to whine should do it themselves. At least they might have a chance at forming a reasonable argument that is backed up by history then. But what they'd find would disagree with their narrative so they won't do that.

There ARE valid complaints to make as well (I highlighted them in my other post) so I don't want to unfairly dismiss all criticism of the pick. But some criticism is waaaay overboard.

Make sure you work out your arms regularly

Yknow...so they don't get tired...bc you're flying (Gets pelted with rotten vegetables and D battery's...batteries?)

Thanks haha. Yeah, Lias has not been perfect, but a lot of people seem to forget that he just turned 20. I posted this several times already but guys like Couture, Brassard, Barzal, Schenn, Kadri and Koivu all played either junior hockey or AHL hockey their 2nd season.

Chytil has been great and I think people expect the same from Lias but not every player develops the same way. Chytil's trajectory is quite comparable to Pastrnak while Lias seems to be closer to guys like Koivu, Kadri and Couture despite him being already ahead of those by playing in the NHL. It takes time.

He has things to work on, aspects of his game to improve, but to say his ceiling is a 3rd line center at this stage is just ridiculous. I have never been a fan of extremes. It's never black or white. There is a whole lotta grey, so to speak. Not every prospect is either a bust or a star. If certain people would look a bit further and try to find some middle ground, the debates would be much more enjoyable.

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Considering Howden is looking pretty much exactly like the kind of player we need at 2C in the future, I'm less stressed about Andersson's development.

Much more concerned that according to AHL fans neither Hajek nor lindgren are standing out in any meaningful way.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
A “late bloomer”? Wasn’t he drafted last year? A little patience please...
Yeah, i guess you're right. Ive been a little hard on the kid. Just not liking his lack of speed. I feel he may be overwhelmed, def now, but hopefully not in the future. If he really makes some kind of major impact with the boys, i will be so very happy, but i still stand by gut. Just doesnt seem he will, maybe im wrong in the end, but also seems we have many that will be better.

Too early to trade him, as he has no value
Too early to give up on him, i agree
Too late to take back that pick, and choose someone else.

Reactions: egelband

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
People ALWAYS looking for reasons to trip about Lias

They’ll pick apart any little thing they see

I’m guessing in 2 weeks these same people will be on their knees for him

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC

In fairness those guys all at times were at least second line players but really the thing is they all at least HAD first line upside. Lias has never had first line upside. He’s never looked like a guy that had elite skills size or skating then came back down to earth. The “experts” said on draft day well be could be a Lindbergh or a Fast. Has anyone ever on draft day been compared to 4th liners a minute after being drafted 7th overall? We bashed them then but they don’t look wrong to me.

Reactions: Larrybiv

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Considering Howden is looking pretty much exactly like the kind of player we need at 2C in the future, I'm less stressed about Andersson's development.

Much more concerned that according to AHL fans neither Hajek nor lindgren are standing out in any meaningful way.

This is what I was saying yesterday he’s rather fortunate that Chytil and Howden look so good because it takes a lot of pressure off him as a 7th overall he can develop at his own pace while the spotlight is on those guys.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
In fairness those guys all at times were at least second line players but really the thing is they all at least HAD first line upside. Lias has never had first line upside. He’s never looked like a guy that had elite skills size or skating then came back down to earth. The “experts” said on draft day well be could be a Lindbergh or a Fast. Has anyone ever on draft day been compared to 4th liners a minute after being drafted 7th overall? We bashed them then but they don’t look wrong to me.

1st bold: False. Second bold: also false... only McGuire said that and his response has been widely panned as him not knowing what he was talking about. Literally the only thing Andersson has in common is that he was drafted by the Rangers and he's Swedish.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.

I have a feeling that given the success rate of the consensus opinion of the sports blog o sphere echo chamber, Lias might turn out to be the greatest Ranger of all time.

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
1st bold: False. Second bold: also false... only McGuire said that and his response has been widely panned as him not knowing what he was talking about. Literally the only thing Andersson has in common is that he was drafted by the Rangers and he's Swedish.

You can’t just say FALSE. Who ever gave this guy a review that he could be a top line player? You honestly see that in him?

And second Mackenzie was right there with him in that assessment. They said the Rangers felt he was nhl ready for a bottom 6 role too. Wasn’t. But I recall them basically saying that was his upside

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

And that he played for HV71 when drafted (just like Fast). Lindberg wasn't even drafted by us but I doubt McGuire knows that without looking it up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad