Post-Game Talk: #23 - 11/23/18 | RANGERS @ flyers | 1:00 - NBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Anderson is not fast to begin with but is particularly slow with the puck. Multiple times he got the puck in open ice, stickhandled and slowed down then either dumped or lost the puck.

Sure he is a rookie, but this is not what you expect from a first round pick. I cannot imagine him as a 1st line C.. he does not hands, speed or strength to do so. Perhaps he has the hockey sense, passing and compete to be a 2 / 3 C but he is not what you hope a #7 pick will be.
Okay great, at least one person that I know, sees this. He actually had a decent game though. Was kind of involved, didn't back down, and made a couple of plays......but by NO MEANS was I excited about his play.......really not a whole lot to be excited about. A late bloomer? Maybe, but I am NOT on his bandwagon, no matter what rep his "heart" says about him........takes talent and being able to perform. Period.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Lol, sure, let's not aquire high draft picks. Maybe the issue is GortonS staff?
I'm not ready to give on Lias yet.

I sure hope Gorton sticks to his guns.

I wasn’t knocking Lias. I actually think he’s going to be a good player.

My original response was in regard to the dearth of extreme talent at 7th let alone lower in the draft, so trying to be in a postion to pick higher in 7th is very important.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
There’s a long list of players who havent been able to crack the final step to the NHL.

He’s 20 y/o and playing on the 4th line so it’s way to early to judge. But the way people come out of the rafters to dump on anyone who dares to take a critical view of him is a bit nutty.

Been saying since day one the kid cannot skate at all. He can’t do anything he wants to do and has done at lower slower levels because of it. Guys comparing him to Chytils start are nuts. Lias has never shown flashes of anything that resembles a top 6 player let alone a top 10 pick. Where as even when not scoring Chytil was flying around the ice generating chances and possession. There’s zero comparison.

I don’t see how he somehow learns how to skate. Hes got heavy feet. He can’t pull away from anyone. He makes Stepan look like bret Hedican.

If things go well and he continues to develop a nasty game he’ll be a third or 4th liner. But he’s got the same problems Strome has. Game is too fast for him to me a scorer at this level.

I’ll tell you what he’s actually very lucky Chytil and Howden are what they are because it takes a lot of pressure off of him and gorton frankly. If he were the crown jewel first piece of the rebuild alone fans would be livid.

Reactions: RoarLionRoar

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I just want to see any pick of ours pan out. I doubt doubt Quinn’s ability to get the most out of Lias. I just hope Lias delivers — whether it be defensively, physically or offensively. I just want to get our moneys worth, if you will.

Edit: I couldn’t care less about being wrong or right. I just want our picks to succeed — while keeping expectations realistic. My expectations are decreasing with respect to Lias. I hope he proves me wrong.

For sure. I mean, to be fair to Gorton he wasnt left with a bounty of riches to work with,the team hadn't picked a first rounder in forever. Lias is going to be an NHL'er on this team, it's really early in his career and much of the same stuff that's being said about him right now was being said about Kadri in Toronto,now I'm not saying he turns out like Kadri but I think we, like Toronto did, need to show a little patience. A few weeks ago people were sending Chytil, DeAngelo and Pionk to the minors. All three of them have progressed nicely in that time so I'm not willing to judge what Lias is based on a few games. I agree that his skating isnt what you would want but a year or two ago that was the knock on Hayes too and he worked on it and his speed is working for him now.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
If people are wondering why Zuc was on the top line you can look no further than why Spooner kept entering the top 6,they are trying to build value. Zuc is getting traded, they want him to get 40 or so points before the deadline so that he is a valuable commodity. Has nothing to do with Chytil, it's part of the rebuild strategy imo.

Reactions: Zats Muccarello

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
If people are wondering why Zuc was on the top line you can look no further than why Spooner kept entering the top 6,they are trying to build value. Zuc is getting traded, they want him to get 40 or so points before the deadline so that he is a valuable commodity. Has nothing to do with Chytil, it's part of the rebuild strategy imo.

It’s true

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
The other guy that really needs to be called out is Jesper Fast. I have not seen this guy play this badly ever. I mean he’s always been a mess but he’s always worked his tail off. I’m not seeing that effort at all. He is putrid. One of the worst guys out there along with Zucc except Fast has looked horrible since game 2

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
For sure. I mean, to be fair to Gorton he wasnt left with a bounty of riches to work with,the team hadn't picked a first rounder in forever. Lias is going to be an NHL'er on this team, it's really early in his career and much of the same stuff that's being said about him right now was being said about Kadri in Toronto,now I'm not saying he turns out like Kadri but I think we, like Toronto did, need to show a little patience. A few weeks ago people were sending Chytil, DeAngelo and Pionk to the minors. All three of them have progressed nicely in that time so I'm not willing to judge what Lias is based on a few games. I agree that his skating isnt what you would want but a year or two ago that was the knock on Hayes too and he worked on it and his speed is working for him now.

Gorton has been solid. As you say, you have to take into account available resources when judging a GM, and so far he has made us younger, made smart trades and massively upgraded our coaching staff. We are building a sustainable team backed by sound, responsible finances.

To your point about Hayes: we saw some great stuff from him even before he improved his skating. He showed good vision and passing skills. Lias has shown neither. Nor has Lias stood out defensively (even though he plays on a checking line). I’m afraid we might be looking at Rostislav Olesz 2.0 — but, again, I hope I’m wrong

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Been saying since day one the kid cannot skate at all. He can’t do anything he wants to do and has done at lower slower levels because of it. Guys comparing him to Chytils start are nuts. Lias has never shown flashes of anything that resembles a top 6 player let alone a top 10 pick. Where as even when not scoring Chytil was flying around the ice generating chances and possession. There’s zero comparison.

I don’t see how he somehow learns how to skate. Hes got heavy feet. He can’t pull away from anyone. He makes Stepan look like bret Hedican.

If things go well and he continues to develop a nasty game he’ll be a third or 4th liner. But he’s got the same problems Strome has. Game is too fast for him to me a scorer at this level.

I’ll tell you what he’s actually very lucky Chytil and Howden are what they are because it takes a lot of pressure off of him and gorton frankly. If he were the crown jewel first piece of the rebuild alone fans would be livid.

If only I could Like this more than once ... maybe 1000x.

Reactions: Kovalev27

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Gorton has been solid. As you say, you have to take into account available resources when judging a GM, and so far he has made us younger, made smart trades and massively upgraded our coaching staff. We are building a sustainable team backed by sound, responsible finances.

To your point about Hayes: we saw some great stuff from him even before he improved his skating. He showed good vision and passing skills. Lias has shown neither. Nor has Lias stood out defensively (even though he plays on a checking line). I’m afraid we might be looking at Rostislav Olesz 2.0 — but, again, I hope I’m wrong

He has excelled at every level he has played at so far, he needs to get comfortable in this league and then get on a line with like minded players much like Chytil did. If he was a marginal player everywhere else I would be worried about him but that's not the case, it's like his 9th game this year and his minutes so far have been low and usually on a weaker line, it's really not fair to judge him yet. I agree with everyone about his skating but he is 20, if Brian Boyle and Kevin Hayes can change their skating then he should be able to too hopefully. There is a reason he captained Sweden last year, we just need to wait for Quinn to unlock it.
As for Hayes showing more, I can't remember if he did or didnt in his first 20 games as an NHL'er but the thing is he was 22 when he joined the rangers.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Okay great, at least one person that I know, sees this. He actually had a decent game though. Was kind of involved, didn't back down, and made a couple of plays......but by NO MEANS was I excited about his play.......really not a whole lot to be excited about. A late bloomer? Maybe, but I am NOT on his bandwagon, no matter what rep his "heart" says about him........takes talent and being able to perform. Period.
A “late bloomer”? Wasn’t he drafted last year? A little patience please...

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
LgeGPGAPtsPIM+/-GPGAPtsPIM
2015-16HV71 JonkopingSweHL220006-740000
2016-17HV71 JonkopingSweHL429101918211641518
2017-18Frolunda HCSweHL227714206----------
2017-18Hartford Wolf PackAHL2559148----------
2017-18New York RangersNHL711201----------
2018-19Hartford Wolf Pack*AHL14481215-3
2018-19New York RangersNHL8011101
NHL Totals1512310
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]
Where exactly on this does it show he's a scorer on every level?

Oh f***ing goddamn hell, guys am I having a stroke? What the f*** is this thing? What the f*** am I looking at? I'm having a stroke aren't I? Either that or this guy posted the single worst table I've seen anyone post. Fittingly, it goes with his absolutely awful opinion about Lias

And I would not be surprised if Lias doesn't become a good point getter in the NHL. Still. Waaaaaay too early

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
The other guy that really needs to be called out is Jesper Fast. I have not seen this guy play this badly ever. I mean he’s always been a mess but he’s always worked his tail off. I’m not seeing that effort at all. He is putrid. One of the worst guys out there along with Zucc except Fast has looked horrible since game 2
He had a horrible back check on the second Flyers goal. He was skating half speed and didn’t go to the far man, isntead jist lolligagging to the center of the ice until it was too late and he did a flyby. If he busts his ass back and goes right to Courtirier, then he prob breaks it up.

Reactions: Kovalev27

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Will he sit Brady Skjei or let him play through it vs Caps later this evening since it`s a beautiful morning in EU and silent? :)
We will see, but Rangers need to win vs Caps and show they are a playoffs team if we are going to consider this year Rangers version as one.

About ignoring option and policy on HF - if you log out you still see all the replies on HF, but it`s to lessen the anti Zucc campaign going on for a while when you are first active here - so don`t worry I`m updated. :DD

Last edited:

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Oh ****ing goddamn hell, guys am I having a stroke? What the **** is this thing? What the **** am I looking at? I'm having a stroke aren't I? Either that or this guy posted the single worst table I've seen anyone post. Fittingly, it goes with his absolutely awful opinion about Lias

And I would not be surprised if Lias doesn't become a good point getter in the NHL. Still. Waaaaaay too early

You kids...

For example, in 2016-2017, Lias had SweHL goals and 42 Assists for a total of 9 points.

Whats the deal?

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Anderson is not fast to begin with but is particularly slow with the puck. Multiple times he got the puck in open ice, stickhandled and slowed down then either dumped or lost the puck.

Sure he is a rookie, but this is not what you expect from a first round pick. I cannot imagine him as a 1st line C.. he does not hands, speed or strength to do so. Perhaps he has the hockey sense, passing and compete to be a 2 / 3 C but he is not what you hope a #7 pick will be.

This is the problem. People think a 7th overall pick should be a top-line player all the time. That's just not how it works. Look at players drafted in that range and what they turn into. Guys like Kadri, Brassard, Hartnell, Mikko Koivu, Vanek, Lupul, Okposo, Gagner. And that's just the players that actually carved out a nice NHL career for themselves.

7th overall picks aren't sure-fire 1st liners contrary to what many seem to think.

Reactions: jas

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
A “late bloomer”? Wasn’t he drafted last year? A little patience please...

What is the real reason(s) the angry internet mob many sports posters dislike Lias so much?

It’s especially surpsing since we are in a rebuild* , so usually every prospect from the top to the beer league is desperately over rated.

*Debatable

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
This is the problem. People think a 7th overall pick should be a top-line player all the time. That's just not how it works. Look at players drafted in that range and what they turn into. Guys like Kadri, Brassard, Hartnell, Mikko Koivu, Vanek, Lupul, Okposo, Gagner. And that's just the players that actually carved out a nice NHL career for themselves.

7th overall picks aren't sure-fire 1st liners contrary to what many seem to think.

And this is why as long as you dont make a “loser culture”, “let the kids play”, and “build from within”, you don’t need picks higher than 7 to win the cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad