21 Years Ago Today - Fight Night at the Joe

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
Again, you're looking back at history in a distorted fashion. We disproportionally remember the best forwards, best defensemen, and best goaltenders of past eras, and if we ever forget, highlight shows will do the job for us.

Meanwhile, we're living through the current era and have access to all levels of play on a nightly basis.

his team was competing for cups yearly in the 90's

his team today is one of the worst in the league

that is the whole reason he thinks the game sucks today, his team sucks not the game

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Dude, this ad hominem is pathetic. I watch playoffs every year and if you think any of the Penguins series in the last two years was close to the Wings-Avs in skill and intensity, you are delusional.

In fact, I usually root for the Penguins, because they are one of the more entertaining teams. But they are no match even for the Lemieux-Jagr Penguins.

I love how you keep bringing up 1991.

Harry Waters

Oct 19, 2012
The fact that you couldn't find anything more recent than a 2009 Pens-Caps series (indeed, a great one) to counteract the 90s "narrative" is pretty telling.

90s hockey had more talent in every position: forwards, defense, and goalies. Plus the passion.

It was just an example to show that this argument holds no value, nothing more, nothing less. I used it because 2009 usually gets connected to the contemporary era of hockey and this game/series is somewhat relatable in terms of talent and rivalry. Using one example doesn't mean in any way that I'm not able to find others, I'm not sure where that conclusion even comes from.

By the way: That is the one thing from my post you responded to? Ok then...

GordieHowsUrBreath

Jun 16, 2016
Dude, this ad hominem is pathetic. I watch playoffs every year and if you think any of the Penguins series in the last two years was close to the Wings-Avs in skill and intensity, you are delusional.

In fact, I usually root for the Penguins, because they are one of the more entertaining teams. But they are no match even for the Lemieux-Jagr Penguins.

I love how you keep bringing up 1991.

would you have enjoyed the 90's more than today if your wings were as bad then as they are now? i'm betting you wouldn't but you'll probably deny it, i imagine i would enjoy the game more if my team had financial advantages over the rest of the league

there was plenty of goonery in the pens/ottawa series last year, why didn't you enjoy that? what makes a avs/wings fight "passionate" but a pens/sens fight boring?

the games are intense in the playoffs now, you just don't notice because at the end of the day you truly don't care who wins or loses because your team isn't in those games, rooting for the "more entertaining team" isn't much of an emotional investment

what is wrong with bringing up 91? it's a part of your favorite decade of hockey, edmonton has as many cups since 84 does that make you feel better? do you really take pride in cups that happened before you were born in a tiny league?

i'll take cups that i witnessed over 100 cups that happened before i was born in a tiny league

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
would you have enjoyed the 90's more than today if your wings were as bad then as they are now? i'm betting you wouldn't but you'll probably deny it, i imagine i would enjoy the game more if my team had financial advantages over the rest of the league
Speculative. "How would I feel if my favorite team wasn't my favorite team"? FWIW, I enjoy 70s hockey more than today's hockey all the same.

there was plenty of goonery in the pens/ottawa series last year, why didn't you enjoy that? what makes a avs/wings fight "passionate" but a pens/sens fight boring?
Because the Avs-Wings featured not just the goonery, but also incredible level of skill on both sides. The only true superstar on that Sens team was injured Karlsson, and the fact that it took Pens six games to win was less than impressive.

the games are intense in the playoffs now, you just don't notice because at the end of the day you truly don't care who wins or loses because your team isn't in those games, rooting for the "more entertaining team" isn't much of an emotional investment
I'd be curious if you could find even one neutral fan who prefers the '17 Pens-Sens series to the '97 Wings-Avs.

what is wrong with bringing up 91? it's a part of your favorite decade of hockey, edmonton has as many cups since 84 does that make you feel better? do you really take pride in cups that happened before you were born in a tiny league?
Actually, yes. I like history. I take the '84 Isles-Oilers Final over the last three Finals combined. "What's wrong with bringing up 91"? Because it's a cutoff point, before which Penguins haven't won a single Cup.

i'll take cups that i witnessed over 100 cups that happened before i was born in a tiny league
What you take is inconsequential.

GordieHowsUrBreath

Jun 16, 2016
Speculative. "How would I feel if my favorite team wasn't my favorite team"? FWIW, I enjoy 70s hockey more than today's hockey all the same.

Because the Avs-Wings featured not just the goonery, but also incredible level of skill on both sides. The only true superstar on that Sens team was injured Karlsson, and the fact that it took Pens six games to win was less than impressive.

I'd be curious if you could find even one neutral fan who prefers the '17 Pens-Sens series to the '97 Wings-Avs.

Actually, yes. I like history. I take the '84 Isles-Oilers Final over the last three Finals combined. "What's wrong with bringing up 91"? Because it's a cutoff point, before which Penguins haven't won a single Cup.

What you take is inconsequential.

nothing will ever top your childhood, apparently

you know what's "less than impressive"? that all star team the wings had in 2003 that got swept by the ducks, the 2001 team losing to the kings in 5

i'm pretty sure the pens last year are better than those teams, but knowing you the worst team in the league back then would be the "best" today right?

and obviously you like history... a little too much

Admiral Awesome

Jun 8, 2015
The real shame is that they didn't meet in the '98 and '01 playoffs.

I think this rivalry is remembered so fondly not just because they were the odds-on favorites to represent the Western Conference in the SCF (along with Dallas), but also because of the way both teams were built: you had your franchise center and captain (Sakic and Yzerman), your uber-talented Euro center (Forsberg and Federov), and your Cup-winning goalie guarding the net (Roy and Vernon) who had dueled each other in years past for championships. The whole thing just had a great narrative to go along with the high level play on the ice.

Last edited:

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017

I think this rivalry is remembered so fondly not just because they were the odds-on favorites to represent the Western Conference in the SCF (along with Dallas), but also because of the way both teams were built: you had your franchise center and captain (Sakic and Yzerman), your uber-talented Euro center (Forsberg and Federov), and your Cup-winning goalie guarding the net (Roy and Vernon) who had dueled each other in years past for championships. The whole thing just had a great narrative to go along with the high level play on the ice.

this is about it, a "drop the mic" and walk off the stage right here Admiral, lol! Good Stuff!

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
you know what's "less than impressive"? that all star team the wings had in 2003 that got swept by the ducks, the 2001 team losing to the kings in 5
Remind me, how did Pittsburgh Penguins do in the years 2010-2015, when everybody thought they were going to be the next great dynasty? And it's not like they faced Sebastian Giguerre on a historic run either.

and obviously you like history... a little too much
Did you forget what board are you on? If you think hockey began in 2009 -- and, with healthy Datsyuk and Lidstrom, for you it would surely begin in 2016 -- you are on the wrong board.

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

GordieHowsUrBreath

Jun 16, 2016
Remind me, how did Pittsburgh Penguins do in the years 2010-2015, when everybody thought they were going to be the next great dynasty? And it's not like they faced Sebastian Giguerre on a historic run either.

Did you forget what board are you on? If you think hockey began in 2009 -- and, with healthy Datsyuk and Lidstrom, for you it would surely begin in 2016 -- you are on the wrong board.

point is it's silly to think the wings "wouldn't break a sweat" against the pens today when they lost to worse teams during their cup reign, and the pens didn't have the roster from 2010 - 2015 that they had during their back to back run

kessel is the x factor and murray is far more reliable in net than fleury, oh and sullivan is 100 times better coach than bylsma

i appreciate history and the present, you only appreciate the history and this thread was originally on the main board anyways

PS pens beat the wings in 09 with unhealthy gonchar and crosby missing most of game 7 on detroit home ice, stop with the excuses , malkin was unhealthy in 08 too if you want to think injuries affected any series

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
i appreciate history and the present, you only appreciate the history and this thread was originally on the main board anyways....

... and was moved here because it is a modern history subject, and one that requires a stricter code of moderation as we demand a greater depth of objectivity, dont stand for subjective tribalism & partisanship of the kind that you'll find on the main board, on team pages here at hf...... so please, reel those thoughts & suggestions, intimations & accusations in when posting on HOH HUB. One big happy family talking hockey history. Check your jersey, team colors at the door.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
The league is not bland at all today. It is not lacking passion or emotion. And it's not boring. Thing is the NHL keeps a careful lid on things nowadays in the social media era where things spread overnight. There's a fine line between passion and ugly bloodbath. If the NHL didn't levy massive penalties for bench clearers, we'd still be having them

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
point is it's silly to think the wings "wouldn't break a sweat" against the pens today when they lost to worse teams during their cup reign, and the pens didn't have the roster from 2010 - 2015 that they had during their back to back run

i appreciate history and the present, you only appreciate the history and this thread was originally on the main board anyways
You appreciate whatever makes the Penguins look better. That much is clear.

pens beat the wings in 09 with unhealthy gonchar and crosby missing most of game 7 on detroit home ice, stop with the excuses , malkin was unhealthy in 08 too if you want to think injuries affected any series
Eh, OK, there, buddy. Crosby was eaten alive by Zetterberg in both series. If you don't think with healthy Datsyuk (Hart finalist that year) and Lidstrom (Norris finalist that year) the Wings win that one, I'm done here. Coming to think of it, I am done anyway. We've both made our points, now we're just beating around the bush.

Last edited:

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
Watched this game on PASS on the big satellite dish. Hard to believe it was only 21 years ago that people still had those 10' dishes in the backyard. It was really wild to watch live.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown

The Wings in 1998 were the most motivated team I ever saw. No way they were losing that year, even with Osgood's antics.

In 2001, Colorado was clearly the best team in the West. I'm glad they didn't meet that year, as Detroit would likely lose the third year in a row. That was a strong Wings team, but not ready to win the Cup. Remember, Colorado won the Cup with Forsberg missing the last two rounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad