21 Years Ago Today - Fight Night at the Joe

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Has it been that long? I remember that game, my sister was a huge Wings fan back then. Loved seeing Roy bleeding all over.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The entire narrative between the Aves and Wings for a few years was incredible. Every time they met, it felt explosive. You just didn't know what would happen.

The amazing thing is both of these teams were considered "skill" teams in an era of giants and monsters.

ADD: I'm still kind of shocked Darren McCarty didn't get suspended. Even in that era.

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Man that was such a fun time to be a fan of the Avs. Every time these two teams played it was a bloodbath. Some incredible games with a ton of talent on the ice. Also, f*** the Red Wings, still hate them.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Great memories!!

I'm a huge fan of the Wings but if McCarty did that knee thing in today's NHL he would of had one hell of a suspension. Also, on Fedorov's 2-on-1 goal... just effortless smooth skating.

What a hell of a first game for Knuble lol

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Loved seeing Lemieux getting pounded at any time. If not Rob Ray, then anyone else.

One of the reasons I would like to see Quebec with a team; the hatred with Montreal was epic when it spilled out onto the ice!

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
I was in San Jose Costa Rica on a grade nine trip and our bus got to our hotel somewhat late and we were all in our rooms, the next morning one of the teachers goes. "did you guys watch that game last night?" We said no, we found a boring nature show in spanish on our tv, I was so mad when he told us what happened.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It's amazing to look back at that game and see the players who were inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame from both teams.

For Detroit there was Steve Yzerman, Sergei Federov, Brendan Shanahan, Nicklas Lidstrom, Larry Murphy and Igor Larionov. There was also Viacheslav Fetisov however according to the box score he did not play that night.

For Colorado there was Joe Sakic, Patrick Roy and Peter Forsberg.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Some of these players don’t like each other to this day. Foote says publicly that he doesn’t like Draper. Chelios played pretty rough in the alumni game even.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I play hockey after work on Wednesdays. Then and still do in fact.

Anyway, I stopped by my local bar on the way home with a couple buddies and we asked for this game to be on the main TV.
Good call on that one. What a game.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Best. Era. Ever.

Today's softy players wouldn't stand a chance. To think, only 20 years has passed, yet all that was hockey (read: passion, soul) has basically been squeezed out of the sport. Those were real men, and that's what I call real men's ice hockey.

Nostalgia is quite the drug.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I am not a violent person, but i wanted to smash Claude Lemieux's face until he cried and told me to stop, the tears of joy would overflow as i would stand over them and laugh hysterically.

Am i insane? was old time hockey awesome? Do i need pills? Or was it Claude Lemieux's fault?

Violence!

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1