Olympics: 2026 Roster predictions

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Kuznetsov, Svechkov, Barbashev, and Grigorenko.
That's a weakness compared to the other nations IMO. Svech is a winger. Kuzy is banned but they may not apply.

US would have something like Hughes, Eichel, Matthews and Thompson

Canada would have something like McD, Crosby, Mack and a slew of others.

Swedes with Zbinajed, Pettersen and Lindholm

Finns with Barkov, Hintz and Aho

Germans have Drai

Swiss have Hischer

Czechs are even worse than all of them.lol

badidea22

Sep 5, 2023
That's a weakness compared to the other nations IMO. Svech is a winger. Kuzy is banned but they may not apply.

Germans have Drai

Swiss have Hischer

Kuznetsov is not banned anymore. It expired this year. They are strong on the wings, but they are weak down the middle. They should’ve went in 2018 in hindsight.

badidea22

Sep 5, 2023
Pretty nice rosters. Hopefully the war will be over by 2026, and Russia + Belarus see their ban lifted.
If not 100% over, hopefully tensions will be escalated enough to reinstate them. It is horseshit that the athletes have to pay for what their governments are doing.

Kuznetsov is not banned anymore. It expired this year. They are strong on the wings, but they are weak down the middle. They should’ve went in 2018 in hindsight.
Your thinking of Andrei Svechnikov instead of Fedor Svechkov.

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
I dont think Russia will be allowed to play in IIHF tournament's until war is over, but we shall see bit different in team sport's than in invidual sports.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
Point - McDavid - Marner
MacKinnon - Crosby - Bedard
Stamkos - Barzal - Cozens
Suzuki - Thomas - Celebrini
That Top 6 is just stacked even with a 38 year old Crosby. Only change I would make would be Fantilli > Suzuki. Although we don't know how well Bedard, Celebrini or Fantilli will develop yet, but that's the problem with predicting rosters for a tournament that is 3 yrs. away.

My D-Pairings:

Toews-Makar
Byram-Morrisey
Pelech-Dobson
Power-Theodore

Reactions: waitin425

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
Team USA is STACKED at every position.

B.Tkachuk ----- A.Matthews ----- M.Tkachuk
J.Robertson --- J.Hughes --------T.Thompson
K. Connor ----- J. Eichel ----------C. Keller
T. Zegras-------D. Larkin--------C. Caufield
Extras: Matty Berniers, Matthew Boldy

D1: Slavin-Fox
D2: Hughes-McAvoy
D3: Weresnki-Pesce
D4: Sanderson-K'Andre Miller

Helleybuck
Otteinger
Demko

It's crazy leaving off guys like Gauderau, Debrincat, Tuch, Guentzel and J.T Miller

Reactions: centipede2233

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Yes they will probably compete under a different name like they did in the previous two unless the war deescalates before then. It is horseshit that these athletes have to pay for what their government is doing IMO.
really???

hockey is their profession and all. we as fans would love to see the best athlets playing against each other. but it is so far down the line in priority in comparison to what ukrainia and their people have to suffer because of this war, that it's not even worth discussing the subject.

do whatever to save those lifes on both sides of the conflict. if that means banning a country from the olympics, do it.

Reactions: TopCheese

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Goalies are unbelievable... insanely good.

Forwards get weaker and weaker and who are the C's?

D is the same, starts beautiful with Provrorov, Sergachev and Zub but starts thinning fast.

Could definitely win but definitely not the same depth of Sweden, Canada or US.

LOL. nonsense., could defiantly lose a 1/4 final.

member 305909

It is no secret that the French would do anything to get Russia in Paris next year. If they manage to do that it will be interesting to see if there's a mass-boycott by other countries.

However, no sport can unilaterally unban Russia. They all unban Russia when the situation allows it but until then nobody unbans them.

Actually the more people whine about Russia being banned the more I hope they are banned forever.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Goalies are unbelievable... insanely good.

Forwards get weaker and weaker and who are the C's?

D is the same, starts beautiful with Provrorov, Sergachev and Zub but starts thinning fast.

Could definitely win but definitely not the same depth of Sweden, Canada or US.
Russia has the best goalies bar none, give the D a few years and that is going to be a nasty unit to contend with should Russia be allowed re-entry, lack of RD does hurt tho. Wingers are still loaded, guys like Michkov, Demidov coming and maybe a few others panning out like But, Yurov, Miroschnichenko will only add more options. That C core and depth is…not very good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Czechboy

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010

Helleybuck
Otteinger
Demko

It's crazy leaving off guys like Gauderau, Debrincat, Tuch, Guentzel and J.T Miller
I’m Canadian and I’m glad there was no best on best olympics in 2022 as team USA would have won gold. Team USA talent are all in their prime. Also, i think J.Guantzel will be on team USA.

member 305909

Even though I'm 100% in favour of banning Russia until things allow otherwise there's no denying that hockey is the biggest sport which is affected by the Russian absence.

OK, there might be some gymnastics, figure skating or something else which are even more hit by the Russian absence but who cares about those sports anyway?

After all, nobody would seriously claim that Argentina winning the world cup was worthless because Russia wasn't there (Russia hadn't been eliminated before they got banned) or that Germany winning the basketball world championships would have been a lesser feat since Russia wasn't there.

All in all, both the Moscow Olympics of 1980 and the LA Olympics of 1984 were completely ruined because of the boycotts.

The French will do their utmost to avoid the same.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
I’m Canadian and I’m glad there was no best on best olympics in 2022 as team USA would have won gold. Team USA talent are all in their prime. Also, i think J.Guantzel will be on team USA.
The US probably wouldn't have beat Canada in 2022 because guys like Jack Hughes, Tage Thompson and Jrob didn't emerge as top 20 players until 2023 and Canada still retained many of their elite two-way forwards like ROR and Couturier, Bergeon was still the best two-way forward in the world, Marchand was still an elite offensive threat and Huberdeau was at his peak. Years of weak Canadian drafting and the emergence of elite American talent has caught up to Canada although recent drafts and the next couple of years show a strong Canadian presence.

For reference, this is what most people had Team Canada looking like in 2022, everything was stacked except for Goaltending:

Huberdeau-McDavid-MacKinnon
Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
Stamkos-Point-Marner
ROR-Coutourier-Stone
Barzal-Schiefele

Toews-Makar
Theodore-Pietrangelo
Pelech-Ekblad
Chabot-Doughty

MAF
Hart
Binnington

Crazy how only a couple seasons had such a significant impact on Canada's roster

Last edited:

badidea22

Sep 5, 2023
really???

hockey is their profession and all. we as fans would love to see the best athlets playing against each other. but it is so far down the line in priority in comparison to what ukrainia and their people have to suffer because of this war, that it's not even worth discussing the subject.

do whatever to save those lifes on both sides of the conflict. if that means banning a country from the olympics, do it.
Don’t get me wrong I stand with Ukraine, but allow the athletes to compete under a different name (see 2018 and 2022 for example). Any way of criticizing Putin’s judgements could get them and their families compromised.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
The US probably wouldn't have beat Canada in 2022 because guys like Jack Hughes, Tage Thompson and Jrob didn't emerge as top 20 players until 2023 and Canada still retained many of their elite two-way forwards like ROR and Couturier, Bergeon was still the best two-way forward in the world, Marchand was still an elite offensive threat and Huberdeau was at his peak. Years of weak Canadian drafting and the emergence of elite American talent has caught up to Canada although recent drafts and the next couple of years show a strong Canadian presence.

For reference, this is what most people had Team Canada looking like in 2022, everything was stacked except for Goaltending:

Huberdeau-McDavid-MacKinnon
Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
Stamkos-Point-Marner
ROR-Coutourier-Stone
Barzal-Schiefele

Toews-Makar
Theodore-Pietrangelo
Pelech-Ekblad
Chabot-Doughty

MAF
Hart
Binnington

Crazy how only a couple seasons had such a significant impact on Canada's roster
It’s because the players Canada relied on in 2010, 2014 and World cup in 2017 have aged. Just like Nagano, where our best players were Gretzky, shanahan, fleury, Lindros, bourque who were all past their prime.

badidea22

Sep 5, 2023

Germans have Drai

Swiss have Hischer

Malkin would be the fifth but he is not the player he used to be. Crosby isn’t as dominant as he used to be either but he is still pretty good.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
It’s because the players Canada relied on in 2010, 2014 and World cup in 2017 have aged. Just like Nagano, where our best players were Gretzky, shanahan, fleury, Lindros, bourque who were all past their prime.
Very True. If Bedard, Fantilli, Celebrini and Power actually develop into what they are supposed to become then Canada looks very scary, imagine:

Point-McDavid-Marner
MacKinnon-Crosby-Bedard
Stamkos-Thomas-Barzal
Fantilli-Cozens-Celebrini

Toews-Makar
Byram-Theodore
Power-Morrisey
Pelech-Dobson

This team's speed would just be too much. McDavid, MacKinnon, Point, Barzal, Makar, Byram, Dobson and speedy two-way threats in Fantilli and Thomas. Oh and who can forget about Bedard.

Very True. If Bedard, Fantilli, Celebrini and Power actually develop into what they are supposed to become then Canada looks very scary, imagine:

Point-McDavid-Marner
MacKinnon-Crosby-Bedard
Stamkos-Thomas-Barzal

Toews-Makar
Byram-Theodore
Power-Morrisey
Pelech-Dobson

This team's speed would just be too much. McDavid, MacKinnon, Point, Barzal, Makar, Dobson and speedy two-way threats in Fantilli and Thomas. Oh and who can forget about Bedard and Crosby.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010

Point-McDavid-Marner
MacKinnon-Crosby-Bedard
Stamkos-Thomas-Barzal

Toews-Makar
Byram-Theodore
Power-Morrisey
Pelech-Dobson

This team's speed would just be too much. McDavid, MacKinnon, Point, Barzal, Makar, Byram, Dobson and speedy two-way threats in Fantilli and Thomas. Oh and who can forget about Bedard.
Even if things turn out well for a team Canada roster for 2026 I like the states roster for 2 reasons. 1) goaltending and 2) In a one game take all elimination as opposed to a bo7, I prefer the bevy of American snipers at the states disposal. Team Canada has a few elite scorers, but the states have like 9-10 40+ goal guys. should Be interesting, bedard will be much needed.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Helleybuck
Otteinger
Demko

I’d have to imagine Tuch would make it on the roster over a guy like Keller, Caufield, or Zegras just to balance out the roster.Not that he’s the better player, but just offers them some size and a PK option.

Biggest issue with this US team is going to be so many guys on it that want to have the puck on their stick. As much as a Tkachuk brothers line sounds nice in theory, I think it would be best to split them up.

Hughes - Matthews - M. Tkachuk
Robertson - Eichel - Caufield
B. Tkachuk - Thompson - Tuch
Connor - Larkin - Beniers
Extras: Zegras - Boldy

Pesce is on a downward slide. I don’t think he ends up being a realistic option by 2026. The other seven I would say are virtual locks. Not entirely sure who would slide in as the 8th.

Luke Hughes would be the first thought, but that team would arguably need a Pesce-like option. I think a guy like Samuelsson might make the team similar to why Tuch would over someone like Keller.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
I’d have to imagine Tuch would make it on the roster over a guy like Keller, Caufield, or Zegras just to balance out the roster.Not that he’s the better player, but just offers them some size and a PK option.

Biggest issue with this US team is going to be so many guys on it that want to have the puck on their stick. As much as a Tkachuk brothers line sounds nice in theory, I think it would be best to split them up.

Hughes - Matthews - M. Tkachuk
Robertson - Eichel - Caufield
B. Tkachuk - Thompson - Tuch
Connor - Larkin - Beniers
Extras: Zegras - Boldy

Pesce is on a downward slide. I don’t think he ends up being a realistic option by 2026. The other seven I would say are virtual locks. Not entirely sure who would slide in as the 8th.

Luke Hughes would be the first thought, but that team would arguably need a Pesce-like option. I think a guy like Samuelsson might make the team similar to why Tuch would over someone like Keller.
Seriously considered Tuch over someone like Zegras or Caufield because of his PK ability, two-way play and chemistry with Thompson. I just went with skill. In reality, I also think Tuch would make the roster in 2026.

Excited to see what Luke Hughes brings to the table. Just went with a safer pick in Pesce as you mentioned prior, the 7th US defencemen is a big question mark right now. Carlson would be too old and Seth Jones has no business on even whiffing this roster. Maybe Trouba? Maybe Hutson? Samuelsson wouldn't be a bad option either. Either way, I think the USA and Canada go in as co-favourites for 2026.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Don’t get me wrong I stand with Ukraine, but allow the athletes to compete under a different name (see 2018 and 2022 for example). Any way of criticizing Putin’s judgements could get them and their families compromised.
Whom would they represent when they can't be associated with the Russian hockey federation and its sanctioned leadership? How should they qualify as a formally new and independent team? In the past it was first and foremost about punishing systematic doping without real organizational changes, so this kind of issues didn't emerge.

badidea22

Sep 5, 2023
Whom would they represent when they can't be associated with the Russian hockey federation and its sanctioned leadership? How should they qualify as a formally new and independent team? In the past it was first and foremost about punishing systematic doping without real organizational changes, so this kind of issues didn't emerge.
They would just take the place of where the “normal Russia” was when the ban was imposed. They represent Anti-War Russians. Like I said before, they don’t want to make that public because the m or their families could get into trouble since it is communist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad