Olympics: 2026 Roster predictions

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Potential, theoretical rosters of top hockey countries look damn scary.

Unfortunately it looks so the theory won't ever materialize in practice on ice. :(

The chances are much higher than in 2018. The last news have been quite positive on this topic, but the final deal hasn't been made yet of course.

Reactions: RageQuit77

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
You can play with the potential roster for Russia in 2026, but Russia will not play there

For Sweden

Gustavsson
Ullmark
Markstrom/Lehner

Hedman
H.Lindholm
Brodin
Forsling
Dahlin
R.Andersson
Edvinsson
Karlsson

Landeskog
E.Lindholm
Forsberg
Pettersson
Bratt
Eriksson Ek
W.Nylander
Kempe
Raymond
Holtz
L.Carlsson
Zibanejad
Burakovsky
Soderblom

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
God I pray we get this. McDavid will be 29 by the time. Sad really. Anyways, here is my TC prediction as of now.....

MacKinnon - McDavid - Marner - Triple M line
Stamkos - Crosby - Bedard - pair the young sniper with two vets feeding him and creating space
Fantilli - Point - Kyrou - Speed kills. Young Fantilli will be on the radar at the last minute after taking off in hi D+3 year
Cozens - Horvat - Thomas - Solid two way play
Suzuki

Morrissey - Makar - Double M
Power - Pietro - Douple P
Doughty - Dobson - Double D :naughty:
Hamilton

Pick your own tendies....we are a mess in net
We need to get off the old player horse. Really

These players have slowed significantly and there are now better players:
Stamkos
Doughty
Pietrangelo

We will see about Crosby at age 38

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
We need to get off the old player horse. Really

These players have slowed significantly and there are now better players:
Stamkos
Doughty
Pietrangelo

We will see about Crosby at age 38
All three are needed for veteran leadership. Beyond that they think the game at the most elite levels. Stammer is still producing at an elite rate. I'm open to younger players moving up, but as of now, this is the team I'd bring. Lots of time for things to change on that front.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
All three are needed for veteran leadership. Beyond that they think the game at the most elite levels. Stammer is still producing at an elite rate. I'm open to younger players moving up, but as of now, this is the team I'd bring. Lots of time for things to change on that front.
I disagree. When you are playing against the best and fastest you need to bring the fastest and best. They are past their prime and we have no need for them

Look at last Olympic, they brought staal , who has lots and lots of experience but really past his prime and slow. Didn’t do much for us.

Reactions: TopCheese

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022

We'll have to see about Doughty and Pietrangelo as Canada isn't exactly bursting at the seams with elite young defenseman (and elite defensemen can age a lot better than forwards can), but I think Canada will and should pass on Stamkos. In fact, I'd be hard-pressed to put him on my team if there was a tournament this summer/fall, let alone in 2 1/2+ years. His playoff performances leave a lot to be desired, even if his regular season production is still really strong.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
Way too early, but I'll do it anyway:

Crosby - McDavid - Bedard
Dubois - MacKinnon - Marner
McTavish - Point - Mercer
Thomas - Suzuki - Cozens
Johnston, Cirelli

Toews - Makar
Byram - Drysdale
Power - Pietrangelo
Theodore, Dobson

Hart
Skinner
Jarry

I like the idea of Crosby on McDavid's wing with Bedard. I think he'll still be a star in the NHL at the age of 38 and able to play top minutes at the highest pace. Some good young players throughout the lineup, but the strength of the Canadian team is still down the middle. I really like Stone and Marchand but believe they'll be a little too old by 2026.

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
It is very hard to predict so far in the future, players will break out and have declines. But I'll try a guess for Team Sweden, ages in 2026:

Jesper Wallstedt 24
Linus Ullmark 33
Filip Gustavsson 28

Hampus Lindholm 32 - Rasmus Dahlin 26
Simon Edvinsson 23 - Adam Larsson 34
Victor Hedman 36 (C) - Rasmus Andersson 30
Rasmus Sandin 26

Filip Forsberg 32 - Elias Pettersson 28 - William Nylander 30 (A)
Jesper Bratt 28 - Mika Zibanejad 33 - Adrian Kempe 30
Liam Öhgren 22 - Leo Carlsson 22 - Lucas Raymond 24
William Karlsson 33 - Joel Eriksson-Ek 29 (A) - Elias Lindholm 32
Jonatan Berggren 26

Reactions: Czechboy

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
It's been well documented that Canada has historically weak goaltending and D right now, but even the forwards might need to be called into question.

One thing we've all had on auto-pilot when constructing a Team Canada for the last, what, 7-8 years maybe, was the Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron line.

Bergy might be retiring and Marchand looks like he's on the decline based on 2nd half of last year. Crosby is aging like fine wine but at nearly 36 his days as a top flight player must be numbered. You can pretty confidently scratch that line for the next best-on-best.

Without that line and all 3 being at the tops of their game, our forwards are starting to look a little pedestrian too.

Beyond McDavid, Mackinnon, Point, Marner, and an aging Crosby, we just have a whole mess of players in the same general tier vying for spots and i can't say they look great.

Nothing against Suzuki, Cozens, Kyrou, Thomas et al, but if that's our next wave before Bedard/Fantili, we are in trouble. USA has clearly passed us for the time being.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Based on what Hallam seems to like

Sörensen - Lindholm - Everberg
X - De la Rose - X
-||-
-||-

Tömmernes - X
X - X
-||-

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
It's been well documented that Canada has historically weak goaltending and D right now, but even the forwards might need to be called into question.

One thing we've all had on auto-pilot when constructing a Team Canada for the last, what, 7-8 years maybe, was the Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron line.

Bergy might be retiring and Marchand looks like he's on the decline based on 2nd half of last year. Crosby is aging like fine wine but at nearly 36 his days as a top flight player must be numbered. You can pretty confidently scratch that line for the next best-on-best.

Without that line and all 3 being at the tops of their game, our forwards are starting to look a little pedestrian too.

Beyond McDavid, Mackinnon, Point, Marner, and an aging Crosby, we just have a whole mess of players in the same general tier vying for spots and i can't say they look great.

Nothing against Suzuki, Cozens, Kyrou, Thomas et al, but if that's our next wave before Bedard/Fantili, we are in trouble. USA has clearly passed us for the time being.

I think we're fine on offence.

Possibly Bedard, Fantilli from this year draft + some players from the upcoming draft.

Johnston and Johnson are stud.

Their is also Suzuki, Thomas, Kyrou, Batherson and Mercer who are good young players.

Don't forget about Barzal

Huberdeau will bounce back.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
If Slovakia qualifies (no KHLers included):

Slafkovsky - Dvorsky - Cehlarik
Honzek - Ruzicka - Ciernik
Regenda - Hrivik - Kelemen
Chromiak - Sukel - Mesar

Cernak - Nemec
Fehervary - Ceresnak
Knazko - Strbak

Hlavaj
Skorvanek
Gajan

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
For US’ sake, I really hope this Olympics ends up happening. They are going to put together an absolutely insane roster.

Robertson - Eichel - DeBrincat
J. Hughes - Matthews - M. Tkachuk
Connor - Thompson - Tuch
B. Tkachuk - Larkin - Guentzel
Gaudreau - Zegras
Extras: Terry, Keller, Beniers, Caufield, Boldy, Pacioretty, Miller, Kreider, Nelson, Norris

Q. Hughes - MacAvoy
Slavin - Fox
Werenski - Miller
L. Hughes - Sanderson
Extras: Samuelsson, Jones, Pesce, Carlson, Fowler, Lindgren, Marino

Hellebuyck
Oettinger
Demko

It’s absolutely insane how much that Hughes/Caufield age group has turned into star NHL players. Going to be so many tough decisions to make, especially at forward. You’re almost assuredly going to be dropping skilled forwards like Keller, Gaudreau, Zegras to build a more complete team with guys better suited to fourth line/PK roles like Larkin.

Last edited:

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
For US’ sake, I really hope this Olympics ends up happening. They are going to put together an absolutely insane roster.

Robertson - Eichel - DeBrincat
J. Hughes - Matthews - M. Tkachuk
Connor - Thompson - Tuch
B. Tkachuk - Larkin - Guentzel
Gaudreau - Zegras
Extras: Terry, Keller, Beniers, Caufield, Boldy, Pacioretty, Miller, Kreider, Nelson, Norris

Q. Hughes - MacAvoy
Slavin - Fox
Werenski - Miller
L. Hughes - Sanderson
Extras: Samuelsson, Jones, Pesce, Carlson, Fowler, Lindgren, Marino

Hellebuyck
Oettinger
Demko

It’s absolutely insane how much that Hughes/Caufield age group has turned into star NHL players. Going to be so many tough decisions to make, especially at forward. You’re almost assuredly going to be dropping skilled forwards like Keller, Gaudreau, Zegras to build a more complete team with guys better suited to fourth line/PK roles like Larkin.
Gaudreau won't be an extra skater on team USA buddy. He is better than Tuch, Guentzel, connor, and debrincat.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

And D?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
3 years from now.. yikes..

G - Dostal, Hrabal and Vanecek

D - Jiricek, Hronek, Svozil, Spacek, Galvas, Kral

F - Pasta, Hertl, Vrana, Chytil, Necas, Sale, Kulich, Zadina, Kaut, Jenik, Lauko, Kampf,, Kubalik

Yes, this will age poorly but 3 years is hard to tell...

Other names that may be in consideration by then... Sapo, Hamara, Krutil, Patera, Vladar, Dvorak, Mysak, Jagr and Rousek

Of course add in Extraliga guys that won't be able to keep up... Frolik, Sobotka, Jordan, Moravcik and Lakatos.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Gaudreau won't be an extra skater on team USA buddy. He is better than Tuch, Guentzel, connor, and debrincat.
I agree that he is better, but there’s an argument that his skill set is redundant on the team in a way, especially in two years time. A lot of skilled playmaking forwards on that roster who love to have the puck on their stick. There’s only one puck to go around.

That third and fourth line also probably places more of an emphasis on fulfilling special team roles. You’re going to need your net front guys, forwards with size, forwards who will play bumper roles on the PP, forwards to kill PKs and other defensive situations, etc.

Admittedly, I thought Guentzel killed penalties, but maybe mistakening him for Rust. Either way, I don’t think Gaudreau would be a part of a fourth line anyways, would probably swap Guentzel out for the next best defensive forward. Beniers/Boldy would probably be my next choice.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
3 years from now.. yikes..

G - Dostal, Hrabal and Vanecek

D - Jiricek, Hronek, Svozil, Spacek, Galvas, Kral

F - Pasta, Hertl, Vrana, Chytil, Necas, Sale, Kulich, Zadina, Kaut, Jenik, Lauko, Kampf,, Kubalik

Yes, this will age poorly but 3 years is hard to tell...

Other names that may be in consideration by then... Sapo, Hamara, Krutil, Patera, Vladar, Dvorak, Mysak, Jagr and Rousek

Of course add in Extraliga guys that won't be able to keep up... Frolik, Sobotka, Jordan, Moravcik and Lakatos.
Kaut :help::laugh::facepalm:
Zadina:facepalm:
Sapo, Rousek, Jágr:handclap:

• Haha
Reactions: Czechboy

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Fiala - Hischier - Malgin
Niederreiter - Corvi - Meier
Andrighetto - Suter - Richard
Kurashev - Haas - Knak
Derungs/Canonica/Biasca