Prospect Info: 2024 WJC Preliminary Discussion

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
They award the refs? For doing a piss poor job all tournament and letting this shit get way out of hand?

The refs probably cried about it or something.

Reactions: Pez68

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I thought the refs did a decent job in the finals.

For us:

Rinzel was very up and down. In the SF he was terrible. Today he was better, but still just turns the puck over too much in his own zone and is casual.

When on he is really good with all his physical tools but needs to keep developing how to play. I expected more to be honest because his last month at Minnesota had been really good.

Nazar was great. He will likely play NHL minutes next year and I think could be a good linemate for Bedard actually. He can play RW and is very comfortable carrying the puck and is definitely pass first. Pretty good defensively. Just needs to clean up his decision making and be comfortable ripping the puck.

Moore had a decent tournament for an 18 year old and will definitely be back next year. He played wing and used his speed to forecheck. A bit wasteful at times as well and just a little wild but did show he can still compliment top players like Cutter and McGroarty at times. I think he likely ends up playing wing at the next level too.

Hayes didn't really do much this tournament to really comment on. He definitely skates better than when he was drafted though. Made the team as a CHLer, pretty impressive.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well Moore played only a tertiary line role...hexwas the ONKY Hawksxpeospect at the WJHC to getca goal...

Nazar Hayesxand Misiak (forSlovakia) could not muster a goal i the tournament.. Tgey each gotcsonexasists and Nazar gotv assists(but I believe he got this evin the firstv4vgames and not in the elimination medal rounds..

Sure all these guys played lesser roles for their teams
..whikevother prospectscofvother NHL teams shone with great tournament production and impact

Hard for Hawks fans to see that our prospects were secondary and tertiary guys and some other NHL teams had players who starredxandcscored big goals and lots of goals..

Hard for us to stomach the success of multiple stars for teams like VAN and STL .. and the biggest success guy with big goals for USA was Isaac Howard a TB firstroubder picked at #31.

I know...IF Brdardcwascthere he probably superstars too..
But still I expected especially Nazar to score more goals than ZERO and to rise to tge ovcaisionlike others did and play even better in the media l roundcelimonayion games..But he just did not seize the big mlne ts...

Hawks prospects pkayed ok..it is just that non-stop out from the pack.

Reactions: Rolo

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Well Moore played only a tertiary line role...hexwas the ONKY Hawksxpeospect at the WJHC to getca goal...

Nazar Hayesxand Misiak (forSlovakia) could not muster a goal i the tournament.. Tgey each gotcsonexasists and Nazar gotv assists(but I believe he got this evin the firstv4vgames and not in the elimination medal rounds..

Sure all these guys played lesser roles for their teams
..whikevother prospectscofvother NHL teams shone with great tournament production and impact

Hard for Hawks fans to see that our prospects were secondary and tertiary guys and some other NHL teams had players who starredxandcscored big goals and lots of goals..

Hard for us to stomach the success of multiple stars for teams like VAN and STL .. and the biggest success guy with big goals for USA was Isaac Howard a TB firstroubder picked at #31.

I know...IF Brdardcwascthere he probably superstars too..
But still I expected especially Nazar to score more goals than ZERO and to rise to tge ovcaisionlike others did and play even better in the media l roundcelimonayion games..But he just did not seize the big mlne ts...

Hawks prospects pkayed ok..it is just that non-stop out from the pack.
Korchinski played little minutes last year as well…

But yes a ‘future’ roster of
Frank Nazar
Oliver Moore
Colton Dach
Gavin Hayes
Kevin Korchinski
Sam Rinzel
Nolan Allan
Ethan Del Mastro
…and CONNOR BEDARD!

Maybe undrafted Zeev Buium,d, Denver U might be a draft option for the Hawks at some point this summer?

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
I would pump the brakes on Howard despite a nice week and a half (helped significantly by Nazar getting him pucks in good places). He was pedestrian at Duluth last season (17 pts in 35 games and transfered out) and one of the Hawk prospects you bag on Moore is at 12 points in 18 games in his post draft season but somehow you know Moore is a bust and Howard will be a star....shakes head.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Fwiw I mainly watched some of the quarters and all of the semis and finals and on:

Moore I actually thought probably showed the best, despite limited minutes. His tools project very well to the next level and he knows how to use his speed, was quite disruptive. Felt like he made an impact every shift. Good off puck game, knows how to get open. With the puck is a bit more questionable but I expect it to get better as he gains experience. Could be a great third wheel in the top 6 one day (Zach Hyman). Something I found interesting was that his shifts seemed REALLY short, maybe he needs to work on conditioning long term to be able to play at that pace consistently. Should have a bigger role next year as well. Overall I came away higher on Moore than I expected to be. Obviously there's a massive skill gap here but he almost reminds of Mackinnon the way his speed, agility and intensity pops off the screen at you and seems to gallop on the ice.

Man, I know people won't agree here but I’m not convinced that Nazar's healthy. I was a huge fan of this pick at the time and so so excited to watch after his summer camp but I'm also honest based on my viewings. He lacked a jump to his step like you saw with a guy like Brindley on his line and I know that Nazar can move at that pace based off his summer performance. I've seen the 4 primary assists, but man they were against the Swiss who don't think I even recognize a single player off the roster. Very few controlled zone entries, turnover prone when challenged and pretty much created nothing unless time and space was given to him. Rather telling about his game was that despite being tied for the team lead in points after the round robin he still didn't get any PP time as an older 19 year old. Sort of like how even when Gauthier lead the tournament in scoring he still seems rather unimpressive, Nazar was similar to me with his 8 assists. I'd challenge you to go find a good scoring chance that he had in the 2 medal round games against good opposition. Might've had 1, I just remember a late snapper today with the game out of reach. He was leaned on in defensive roles which projects well for an NHL future for him, but even there his decision making was suspect (weird icing with 10 secs left in the semis, forcing a late period o zone cross seam pass on a PK to nobody today and Sweden came back and scored). Players aren't themselves when injured and are prone to making worse decisions (Kaner with his hip) so if he is injured hopefully things get back in order. Side note, the way Seamus Casey moves and handles the puck is very reminiscent to summer camp Nazar, when he had what, 4 goals in 3 games?

Rinzel was up and down, with the down's being pretty damn low. Upside is obviously there with size and skating and being a right shot and he has a nice knack for controlled exits. I just don't see any sort of exceptional skillset to carry him developmentally. Del Mastro was a bit ahead in this tournament last year at the same point of their development though, IMO. He's still a project but I think a top pair RHD to compliment KK is a pipe dream, could very well carve out a Brendan Dillion type of career which I think is still a win where he was picked.

Hayes is tall, I guess? If he makes the show it'll be in a depth role.

The BC line was all phenomenal, Ryan Leonard seems like a future Conn Smythe winner. Hutson was pretty bad, worse than I had originally realized, skating in circles around the ozone with a mohawk stride isn't enough at the NHL level. Gauthier was meh as well, despite all the accolades. I want Buium as a Blackhawk, he's better than Korchinski.

Overall, 1 goal from all of our prospects combined is quite disappointing no matter how you draw it up. We don't have a sure fire core top 6 forward prospect as of right now, in my opinion. Moore will probably be complimentary, albeit an effective one. Nazar could get there, but the path is definitely more convulted than I had hoped.

Reactions: Muffinalt

MTU34

Oct 6, 2020
I would pump the brakes on Howard despite a nice week and a half (helped significantly by Nazar getting him pucks in good places). He was pedestrian at Duluth last season (17 pts in 35 games and transfered out) and one of the Hawk prospects you bag on Moore is at 12 points in 18 games in his post draft season but somehow you know Moore is a bust and Howard will be a star....shakes head.
Take the Howard stat line with a massive grain of salt. He was always going to be an awful fit on a Scott sandelin coached team. He’s been good for state this year

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Rinzel really didn't have a great tournament to be honest. He was fine. He was an accident waiting to happen in the Semi-final.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
For posterity

Nazar - second line center
Moore - began as 13th forward, moved up and down sometimes playing 1st line shotgun, sometimes playing 4th line
Rinzel - 6th defenseman
Hayes - began on 4th line, ended up 13th forward

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Rinzel really didn't have a great tournament to be honest. He was fine. He was an accident waiting to happen in the Semi-final.

He was more than fine in the gold medal game, where it really counted. Was much better than Chesley for example. You can clearly see the confidence growing with him with each passing game. His upside is enormous. Will he reach it? Remains to be seen but man.. his tools are tantalizing.

I'm not gonna hold one game in the semis against him. All the kids had a bad game at one point in this tournament.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
He was more than fine in the gold medal game, where it really counted. Was much better than Chesley for example. You can clearly see the confidence growing with him with each passing game. His upside is enormous. Will he reach it? Remains to be seen but man.. his tools are tantalizing.

I'm not gonna hold one game in the semis against him. All the kids had a bad game at one point in this tournament.
I mean I am a big Rinzel fan and spoken plenty about his tools.. just brought up the SF, but the tournament as a whole he was not that great. The gold medal game he was solid when it mattered though.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad