OT: 2024 Weather Thread

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

The Air Quality index is still at 10+ today and tomorrow. So annoying.....
Sunday was much better in our area after some sprinklings.

Its odd this year that all I hear about is fires and drought and yet its been one of the wettest springs. Biggest challenge this year in gardening was trying to find a time where our elevated, drained plots are even dry. Hard to even dig or plant its been so wet. Now the garden is in monsoon condition again with too much water.

In 40yrs of gardening at present location this is the 2nd most rain we've had here, or seems so. One year we were getting so much rain we had to try to tarp off our garden plots.

Now it won't stop raining. Probably most of our seeding will have been for naught.

Vancouver type f***ing weather here on the prairies can f off. My plants want some blue sky.

Last edited:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The Global newscast last night was hilarious. When they're not talking about potential drought their talking about floods. When they're not talking about fires they're talking about global warming. Fully 80% of the telecast was some hyped up fear mongering.

So that we have two little rain, and too much rain, and blame global warming for catastrophe that are all imminent.

Then whenever they do the drought angle they talk to some cattle farmer in southern Alberta that is in what has always been a semi-arid region unlike Central or Northern Alberta which is a different biosphere and is NOT experiencing drought of any kind. Yet the Edmonton news constantly with this drought and fires forecasts while it just keeps raining and raining.

My favourite is reading the contention that had people's preferred political party been elected, that these weather events magically would not be occurring.

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
My favourite is reading the contention that had people's preferred political party been elected, that these weather events magically would not be occurring.
Well, the narratives would shift somewhat.

The thing is weather events always occur. The increased population of the globe and increased settling and detection in every arena of course make it appear there are more events. For instance in Tornado spotting its suspected that of course the more population spread through an area the more tornados spotted, detected, known, which increases the count and stats on the same.

People act as if this kind of thing has never occurred before. In the late 60's early 70's I recall our family avoiding BC trips because of all the fire risk which was pronounced and the risk of being conscripted to fight them.

Indeed fire all over were such a problem in BC in 60's they could still conscript travellers and residents to help fight forest fires, against their will.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The Global newscast last night was hilarious. When they're not talking about potential drought their talking about floods. When they're not talking about fires they're talking about global warming. Fully 80% of the telecast was some hyped up fear mongering.

So that we have two little rain, and too much rain, and blame global warming for catastrophe that are all imminent.

Then whenever they do the drought angle they talk to some cattle farmer in southern Alberta that is in what has always been a semi-arid region unlike Central or Northern Alberta which is a different biosphere and is NOT experiencing drought of any kind. Yet the Edmonton news constantly with this drought and fires forecasts while it just keeps raining and raining.
This isn't the place to get into a climate change discussion, but in terms of the affects of this years weather, a rainy May isn't fixing the drought problem. Not for the farmers, or for our wildfire situation. Drought conditions and flooding can happen simultaneously, because the biggest issue with drought conditions is the depletion of the water table, not what is happening on the surface.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This isn't the place to get into a climate change discussion, but in terms of the affects of this years weather, a rainy May isn't fixing the drought problem. Not for the farmers, or for our wildfire situation. Drought conditions and flooding can happen simultaneously, because the biggest issue with drought conditions is the depletion of the water table, not what is happening on the surface.
The trouble is the influenced media are reporting fairly disingenuously on drought in this province. For instance going to Southern Alberta, which is semiarid domain and has been throughout recorded history, and reporting on the dry conditions there, which has usually been dry. Even Calgary and Medicine Hat and much of Southern Alberta east of foothills is semi-arid. This has always been the classification.

Meanwhile Northern Alberta is a much different biosphere, Northern Boreal. The Edmonton region used to sit on the edge of that Boreal forest and we still get the fertile loam soil benefit of it. Edmonton region changing somewhat but not in recent groundwater changes due to climate change. Water table changes can often be due to water USAGE.

Finally, the trouble is that theres no place to get into this discussion. Increasingly we live in a world where doctrine is even being legislated or considered, thus prohibiting discussion.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The trouble is the influenced media are reporting fairly disingenuously on Drought. For instance going to Southern Alberta, which is semiarid domain and has been throughout recorded history, and reporting on the dry conditions there, which has usually been dry. Even Calgary and Medicine Hat and much of Southern Alberta east of foothills is semi-arid. This has always been the classification.

Meanwhile Northern Alberta is a much different biosphere, Northern Boreal. The Edmonton region used to sit on the edge of that Boreal forest and we still get the fertile loam soil benefit of it. Edmonton region changing somewhat but not in recent groundwater changes due to climate change. Water table changes can often be due to water USAGE.

Finally, the trouble is that theres no place to get into this discussion. Increasingly we live in a world where doctrine is even being legislated or considered, thus prohibiting discussion.
There are plenty of places to discuss it. I wish we could post about the news on Facebook again, our dummy PM strikes again with his rules around funding for Canadian media, but there are still tons of places to go to discuss it. Not as many online as there used to be, but there are places. The biggest issue to me, is that when people find the places that support their not-always-factual views, it turns into an echo chamber, so they feel that they are this massive group who has figured it out, and the "man" has the rest of us fooled. Like a group of 25 people with no hobbies and nothing important to do have the "real" answers, ha ha.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
There are plenty of places to discuss it. I wish we could post about the news on Facebook again, our dummy PM strikes again with his rules around funding for Canadian media, but there are still tons of places to go to discuss it. Not as many online as there used to be, but there are places. The biggest issue to me, is that when people find the places that support their not-always-factual views, it turns into an echo chamber, so they feel that they are this massive group who has figured it out, and the "man" has the rest of us fooled. Like a group of 25 people with no hobbies and nothing important to do have the "real" answers, ha ha.
Give me a pm if you will on places where such a discussion can actually be had.

Some of Edmonton area and neighborhoods suffer the opposite problem of high water tables and being built on what used to be lakes or sloughs. Don't have to drill far here to hit water.

Last edited:

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
The biggest issue to me, is that when people find the places that support their not-always-factual views, it turns into an echo chamber, so they feel that they are this massive group who has figured it out, and the "man" has the rest of us fooled. Like a group of 25 people with no hobbies and nothing important to do have the "real" answers, ha ha.
You better not head to such echo chambers as r/alberta then. Climate hysteria or the highway there. ;)

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
The trouble is the influenced media are reporting fairly disingenuously on drought in this province. For instance going to Southern Alberta, which is semiarid domain and has been throughout recorded history, and reporting on the dry conditions there, which has usually been dry. Even Calgary and Medicine Hat and much of Southern Alberta east of foothills is semi-arid. This has always been the classification.

Influenced media? Disingenuous? Doctrine is even being legislated or considered?
How is this bs allowed to continue on what should be a fairly benign subject on THE WEATHER?
But yeah, again, I prefer to listen to, ya know, actual scientists, as opposed to some guy on a message board.

You better not head to such echo chambers as r/alberta then. Climate hysteria or the highway there. ;)
Yeah, HF Boards is where the climate experts reside.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Influenced media? Disingenuous? Doctrine is even being legislated or considered?
Yeah, again, I prefer to listen to, ya know, actual scientists, as opposed to some guy on a message board.

The history of Science is it being co-opted by external forces or ignorant of innovation and better founded theories. People with head in sand tendency to say "I'll listen to the established Science would have shouted out Charles Darwin, Galileo, and John Snow. Every one of these being reviled and mocked by their Scientific Peers of the times.

Indeed historically the advancement of Science, when it occurs, is often at odds with the established beliefs of Science or Scientists of the times which often becomes its own resistant doctrine. Scientific knowledge is best viewed as incomplete.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
The history of Science is it being co-opted by external forces or ignorant of innovation and better founded theories. People with head in sand tendency to say "I'll listen to the established Science would have shouted out Charles Darwin, Galileo, and John Snow. Every one of these being reviled and mocked by their Scientific Peers of the times.

Indeed historically the advancement of Science, when it occurs, is often at odds with the established beliefs of Science or Scientists of the times which often becomes its own resistant doctrine. Scientific knowledge is best viewed as incomplete.
Thanks for this history lesson. But the bolded is kinda what science is, so its hardly a revelation (Scientists will actually let you in on that little secret).
I kinda like to listen to those whose life's work is to study science. As opposed to those with a political agenda . Or those on the grift (amazingly they go hand in hand often) . Or those on a hockey message board.
Kinda reminds me as the ozone layer discussion. Or acid rain.
Im out on this. How you are allowed to start (again) with this garbage is a wonder.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Thanks for this history lesson.
I kinda like to listen to those whose life's work is to study science. As opposed to those with a political agenda (amazingly they go hand in hand often). Or those on the grift. Or those on a hockey message board.
Kinda reminds me as the ozone layer discussion. Or acid rain.
Sorry then that I have Science degrees and a lifelong passion in knowledge and Science.

What you seemingly like is to browbeat anybody with views other than your own, and label them. Good luck with pursuit of knowledge or open mind in doing that.

Heres a thought. Nobody asked you what you thought, and I don't recall you ever posting here. Are you just flying by here to control the sub discussion that occurs here?

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
He was complaining concerning echo chambers. I gave him an example of one. Never claimed anyone was an expert.

hfBoards are set up to not be echo chambers. There is no downvote option and despite the calls from some, very few posts or posters are deleted. hfOilers is hardly a place without extremely varying views and very heated discussions concerning the Oilers. Much more than any other site.

For example, two experts were quoted in this thread. One being the U.N.

"Humanity has only two years left “to save the world” by making dramatic changes in the way it spews heat-trapping emissions and it has even less time to act to get the finances behind such a massive shift, the head of the United Nations climate agency said."

The other the Alberta Government.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
ps Barrsy, I had to look it up is formerly "Daryls Friend" is formerly "Sammy"

Just posting that without comment.
Yeah, OK Replacement. You bring in this climate denialism garbage (again) on a topic that the it has been made abundantly clear that its not allowed to go down that path, one way or another. And you whine when called on it.
And oh you have a Science degree. Impressive.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yeah, OK Replacement.
Sure. Thats known. I haven't disguised it at all.

You've changed your name several times and have been derisive here in every incarnation.

80% of your posting is browbeating.

Good to see you're OK and still doing that.

Edit to edit. Labeling others with "Climate denialism garbage". What an ironic tact.

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

There is a difference between "I will listen to scientists and what we know" and "I'll listen to conspiracy theorists based on some loosely tied coincidences", which is where most scientific misinformation is peddled from. It isn't a bad thing to listen to the experts, and someone who ignores the experts because of some random reasons they found after falling in a rabbit hole on YouTube is only spreading disinformation.

EDIT - if you don't mind me asking, what discipline is your Science degree in?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
There is a difference between "I will listen to scientists and what we know" and "I'll listen to conspiracy theorists based on some loosely tied coincidences", which is where most scientific misinformation is peddled from. It isn't a bad thing to listen to the experts, and someone who ignores the experts because of some random reasons they found after falling in a rabbit hole on YouTube is only spreading disinformation.

Suffice here to say I obtain zero of my information from youtube, podcasts or the like and share concerns with such sources. See DM.

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
Its odd this year that all I hear about is fires and drought and yet its been one of the wettest springs. Biggest challenge this year in gardening was trying to find a time where our elevated, drained plots are even dry. Hard to even dig or plant its been so wet. Now the garden is in monsoon condition again with too much water.
I think it's because it was so dry (anecdotally it sure felt like it) over the winter. I know the government was getting a headstart on potential water leasing.

It's been quite wet for the spring though and I figure we probably need it.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

Pseudo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad