OT: 2024 Washington Commanders off-season thread: change we can believe in!

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Wow, so it was JD or JJ, Maye wasn’t even in the mix…

That was what Simms had said a couple days before the draft: "I source I trust says it won't be Maye."

ETA: Makes sense in hindsight, with their "we're looking for experience."

Reactions: Neil Racki

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Shefter — like all talking heads — like to use hyperbole when making their “sensational” points.

I’m sure the considered Maye. Logically you have to actually, you know, consider someone, in order to determine that “you shouldn’t consider them”. My guess is that there were things that they didn’t feel lined up at #2, that Daniels had a lot of, and McCarthy had some of. Whatever the things were that they “considered” most important.

They took who they wanted. End of story. Nothing else needs to be reported, IMO. But heads will talk to create sensationalism.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Shefter — like all talking heads — like to use hyperbole when making their “sensational” points.

I’m sure the considered Maye. Logically you have to actually, you know, consider someone, in order to determine that “you shouldn’t consider them”. My guess is that there were things that they didn’t feel lined up at #2, that Daniels had a lot of, and McCarthy had some of. Whatever the things were that they “considered” most important.

They took who they wanted. End of story. Nothing else needs to be reported, IMO. But heads will talk to create sensationalism.
I said a week or so ago that we would look back and see the JD pick was pretty much inevitable. Specifically:

-- Both Peters and Quinn said they valued experience -- that's literally everybody other than Maye
-- They signed Marriotta as their veteran QB
-- He's the same type of QB as Daniels (hybrid run/pass, except who can't actually pass) -- you don't bring in a QB that works in a different system than you intend to install for the starter -- Maye can run, JJ can run, but they are not true hybrids
-- Whether you think a team should expect a rookie to start or not, it was clear we were going to when we signed a vet QB who cannot win games
-- They didn't sign a bunch of character veterans to one- and two-year deals to help change the culture of a losing franchise only to run them out on the field with a QB who gives them next to no chance of winning games
-- K. Kingsbury is not just "air raid," he designs offenses around guys with hybrid skills. With Caleb going #1, that means JD

I think they definitely also considered JJ -- he lines up from the experience factor, has all the intangibles, and has mobility -- but I think he was the back-up option if Daniels thoroughly shit the bed during the process. He obviously didn't (no thanks to his shit-bird agent).

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

I mean the interesting part is that he wasn’t in consideration in the end. Yes, at some point they had to consider him, that much is obvious…that he wasn’t in the final 2 is a little surprising IMO.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
They brought Maye in for a top 30 visit and top golf. They obviously considered him. But at the end they just let it leak who their top two were. Not a story.
Right. This.

Which of course the article above tries to create drama “because Peters *never* considered Maye…..oh the horror!!!”

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas

11. Washington Commanders: Tetairoa McMillan, WR, Arizona​

At 6-5, McMillan brings mismatch potential with his size and finishing skills. There are some areas of his game that scouts want to see developed this season, but his athletic adjustment skills and sticky hands make him a quarterback-friendly target.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Reactions: ynotcaps

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Hey, I'm just surprised they have us picking at 11. That was hovering around .500 last season.

I guess we won't be suck this year.
I know this sounds typical-optimistic-fan-speak, but I think this is a more realistic draft position that the early ones that have us at 4 or 6 or such. The way they've built the coaching staff and attacked free agency, the team is thinking they're going to improve quickly.

I don't think we're ready to pull a HOU, but we're not gonna be bait fish.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I know this sounds typical-optimistic-fan-speak, but I think this is a more realistic draft position that the early ones that have us at 4 or 6 or such. The way they've built the coaching staff and attacked free agency, the team is thinking they're going to improve quickly.

I don't think we're ready to pull a HOU, but we're not gonna be bait fish.

It would just be nice to park the tank in November when the games get more meaningful. I think coaching can be a 3-5 game swing, better talent can be a 2-4 game swing, and easier schedule can be a 2-4 game swing. We won 4 games with all those things working against us. Its not at all unrealistic to think this team can win 7-9 games next year. I'd be shocked if we won less than 7. The lame duck coaches cost us a ton last year.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
So pumped about JD. All in on him at this point. Very excited to see what Quinn and company can do this year. It’s almost like an expansion franchise — new owner, new GM, new coaching staff, new QB, total roster overhaul — which is pretty much my dream come true. Change the name and get us back to RFK as a winner and football will be fun again.

Will be nice when at some point we’re not the answer of, “who has the worst QB in the NFCE?”

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
At the NFL level? His 15-17 record says about as much as Ron Rivera.

He was a defensive coordinator in the NFL for 4 years, under Bill Belichek and a DB coach for the Houston Oilers for 2 years under Jerry Glanville. So he's had 8 years coaching in the NFL. Which is plenty for him to know what makes a QB successful and what he might need to improve on.

It might be helpful, but clearly optional, for you to stop looking so deep for ways to discredit any opinion that favors JD. Our entire coaching staff favored him from the get go. Do you disrespect their opinions that much, without even giving them the benefit of finding out if they were correct?

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
He was a defensive coordinator in the NFL for 4 years, under Bill Belichek and a DB coach for the Houston Oilers for 2 years under Jerry Glanville. So he's had 8 years coaching in the NFL. Which is plenty for him to know what makes a QB successful and what he might need to improve on.

It might be helpful, but clearly optional, for you to stop looking so deep for ways to discredit any opinion that favors JD. Our entire coaching staff favored him from the get go. Do you disrespect their opinions that much, without even giving them the benefit of finding out if they were correct?
Might as well ask a cow to bark...

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
5-10 wins is the range. IMO. A lot of shit happens during an NFL season, and Skins would need a LOT to “go right” for them to get to 8-9 wins. It’s possible, but I’d say not probable.

And I’m an optimist by nature 😎😎

I forgot to mention injuries as a 2-5 game swing. Our OL was a shuffling deck of cards all year, but when an OL, even modest talent, can develop continuity and chemistry, it makes a huge difference. A few injuries at key positions can tank a season, like SF in 2020 (went 6-10 but was 13-3 the year before and 10-7 the year after).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad