OT: 2024 Washington Commanders off-season thread: change we can believe in!

Assuming Caleb Williams goes number 1, who is your QB pick at number 2?

• JJ McCarthy

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Jaden Daniels

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Drake Maye

Votes: 12 38.7%

• Total voters

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
So McCarthy is always in the building, is a football junkie, everyone loves him and he's lost 3 times since middle school, won a state title, and two national titles at two different levels. Oh and he had a fantastic shuttle time, it's obvious on tape that he can run and evade, uses his mobility to make plays downfield and threw 61 mph at the combine.

What are we waiting for exactly? This is the kind of guy you build a whole program around. And he comes from a school that aside from a troubled Rich Rod/Hoke period, and his coach, who played QB in the NFL said he's the best to come out of Michigan. Clearly after Brady but still

This kid is gonna make some team happy af

Last edited:

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
lol did some more research, apparently they took them all to topgolf. like, what is the issue here.

:laugh:

as long as everything is comped no problem. hit golf, talk ball, get to know players. brilliant chemistry tactic.
Honestly if I was one them I'd prefer that instead of all day meetings with the club if I was prospect.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Last line….

“While it’s still unclear who the Commanders will take, it will undoubtedly be a guy Harris wants. Or, at a minimum, it will be a player of whom he approves.”

It’s clearly going to be one or the other…Harris IS involved. He just won’t be pulling the Ace and saying “I demand you take this guy”.

It will be a guy he “approves” of….IMO.
I read elsewhere that AP and DQ aren't in agreement on the QB yet, and are going to meet early next week with the staff to get consensus. I imagine if the HC and GM aren't in agreement by then, Josh will decide which one he goes with, just like how JKC mediated disagreements between Beathard and Gibbs.

There's nothing really new or unusual here. I have a hard time seeing Josh overrule AP his first big decision.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
One he doesn’t?

Schefter was on Pat M earlier apparently said that maybe it’s becoming clear Washington isn’t JD’s preferred city, that Vegas playing under AB just might be….apparently caused quite a stir earlier….I’m sure there’s a clip somewhere…

Edit: here it is…

Kinda weird Washington wouldn’t tell these guys the others were coming also….

He’s backtracking (Schefter), as he made a dumb proclamation, to get clicks, that we Skins fans could “get a Daniels jersey”…which was crap.

So he cannot walk back from that, can he?

He doesn’t know shit. That’s what’s so funny. He knows what we know.

NOTHING!!!

Reactions: RedRocking

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
He’s backtracking (Schefter), as he made a dumb proclamation, to get clicks, that we Skins fans could “get a Daniels jersey”…which was crap.

So he cannot walk back from that, can he?

He doesn’t know shit. That’s what’s so funny. He knows what we know.

NOTHING!!!
Schefter really needs to stop lending his name to reporting draft “news.” Leave the speculation to the pros like Kiper. This was so embarrassing today - “I never said Washington is picking JD. I merely said it was totally safe to go buy his jersey…because they’re picking him. So…what’s the confusion?!”

This is so reminiscent of 2021, when he repeatedly said that Mac Jones was a “lock” at #3 to the 49ers. I remember everyone around here talking themselves into Mac (he’s smart and accurate - perfect for Kyle’s offense!). And then on draft day it’s Trey Lance, and he looked like a fool.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I’m happy for Schitfer (ok, that was juvenile) that he can “break news”…..like when there is actual f***ing news to break! A trade, a signing, a trade demand. Great. Break that shit.

But this other crap, where he’s simply opining, but making it *sound* like it’s breaking news?

Get the f*** outta here man

Sep 19, 2008
So McCarthy is always in the building, is a football junkie, everyone loves him and he's lost 3 times since middle school, won a state title, and two national titles at two different levels. Oh and he had a fantastic shuttle time, it's obvious on tape that he can run and evade, uses his mobility to make plays downfield and threw 61 mph at the combine.

What are we waiting for exactly? This is the kind of guy you build a whole program around. And he comes from a school that aside from a troubled Rich Rod/Hoke period, and his coach, who played QB in the NFL said he's the best to come out of Michigan. Clearly after Brady but still

This kid is gonna make some team happy af
People are reluctant to draft him because of the offense he ran at Michigan. That said he is skyrocketing up the boards.

Reactions: MileHighCapsFan

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Yikes.
1000007269.jpg

Sep 19, 2008
all these accounts about his character I don't think it's an issue, remember when he held his pro day and wanted the scouts to focus on his teammates

I wouldn't mind drafting jd I don't believe all the rumors. I also wouldn't mind maye. either way we are well positioned for a qb of the future

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

"I don't know if QB Jayden Daniels wants to play for the Commanders or would prefer another team. But the flap about his agent being unhappy about the group QB visit to Washington is a bit overblown.

"The two sides have talked since, per sources, and settled any issues."

"During the last several weeks, the prevailing belief has been that the Washington Commanders coaching staff is settled on Jayden Daniels as its pick at No. 2 overall. Unlike Chicago, which only brought in Caleb Williams for a top-30 visit, Washington has conducted extensive evaluations on all the quarterbacks and has involved various voices in the decision-making process.

"That includes several members of ownership and former NBA executive Bob Myers. The belief remains that Daniels is the most likely choice."

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

"I don't know if QB Jayden Daniels wants to play for the Commanders or would prefer another team. But the flap about his agent being unhappy about the group QB visit to Washington is a bit overblown.

"The two sides have talked since, per sources, and settled any issues."

"During the last several weeks, the prevailing belief has been that the Washington Commanders coaching staff is settled on Jayden Daniels as its pick at No. 2 overall. Unlike Chicago, which only brought in Caleb Williams for a top-30 visit, Washington has conducted extensive evaluations on all the quarterbacks and has involved various voices in the decision-making process.

"That includes several members of ownership and former NBA executive Bob Myers. The belief remains that Daniels is the most likely choice."
what bothers me is JD was upset while you didn't hear a peep from the other QB's , looks like this guy has some diva in him

he's reminding me more and more of Fields

Last edited:
Reactions: Holtbyisms

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Remember JDs jacket with pictures of himself at the Heisman ceremony?

Too much smoke there.

After listening to Rick Speilman, Mina Kimes, and Daniel Jeremiah all predict they’re taking Maye I actually think it’s between Maye and JJ.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
what bothers me is JD was upset while you didn't hear a peep from the other QB's , looks like this guy has some diva in him

he's reminding me more and more of Fields

Its not at all confirmed that JD was upset about the group meeting. That's not been printed anywhere. His agent put a thinking emoji on a post by Florio questioning the group meeting tactic to generate clicks. That's the grand sum of the "noise" on this whole thing. The entire draftnik universe took that and ran with it and turned it into something its not.

The group meeting approach was used by NE and SF before DC did it, but we didn't hear any media heads disparaging the tactic until Florio ran out of news to break so he decided to try to make some of his own.

Multiple sources say the DC FO and JD's agent have talked and there's no issue there. JD even hired a PR firm to tweet for him that he'll be happy to go wherever he's drafted. Why would he do that if he really didn't want to go to DC?

This week is shaping up to be huge for me. Caps are in the playoffs, we’re about to select our QB of the future, and my wife and I just bought our first house!

Congrats on the house. Its a great feeling, for sure. :thumbu:

Reactions: ynotcaps and Roric

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Its not at all confirmed that JD was upset about the group meeting. That's not been printed anywhere. His agent put a thinking emoji on a post by Florio questioning the group meeting tactic to generate clicks. That's the grand sum of the "noise" on this whole thing. The entire draftnik universe took that and ran with it and turned it into something its not.

The group meeting approach was used by NE and SF before DC did it, but we didn't hear any media heads disparaging the tactic until Florio ran out of news to break so he decided to try to make some of his own.

Multiple sources say the DC FO and JD's agent have talked and there's no issue there. JD even hired a PR firm to tweet for him that he'll be happy to go wherever he's drafted. Why would he do that if he really didn't want to go to DC?

Congrats on the house. Its a great feeling, for sure. :thumbu:

I mean the article I posted above stated that the two sides talked and worked out any issues, so that’s multiple sources saying their was some issue with the process for JD….why are we even debating that, but it’s also over now….so a non-issue.

• Wow
Reactions: Ridley Simon

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
It’s all smoke from everyone.

Obv Deion Sanders knows that his son is already pegged for DC!!! So why are we even talking about these other dudes from this year?? It’s a total smoke screen.

Skins are going to trade out of every single pick this year, for 2025 picks. They are going to trade all of their current roster studs (all 4 of them, Allen, Payne, McLaurin, and Way) for additional 2025 picks.

Goal is to have 30 some odd picks in 2025, to ENSURE, they can get the #1 overall next year, and draft Neon Deion Sanders!!!!!…….son.

You heard it here first.

It Is The Way

• Haha
Reactions: kicksavedave

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
What if taking them to TG at the same time was a Diva Test?

On some level that's exactly what it was. It was openly stated the purpose was to see how they reacted in a group of peers. If anyone acted like a diva, or pouty loner, that's exactly the information they were seeking.

NE and SF used this in the past. I'm fine with it. I don't care what Florio thinks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad