I want the Pens to…

• … keep the 2024 1st-round-pick (8-12)

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • … keep the 2025 1st-round-pick (1-32)

Votes: 19 59.4%

• Total voters

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens as part of the deal/trade keep the pick at 10 or higher after the lottery. Why would Pens give up that? I am not sure they even can. If you and other assume they rebound next year then drafting say 8th is just not going to happen in 2025.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I would keep this year's pick. Why? It puts pressure on Sullivan next year. If the Pens open up next year and still look awful, then Dubas is going to have to fire him at that point or risk getting egg on his face by handing San Jose a high pick. The optics of keeping him at that point will look terrible, especially given that if they keep this year's pick they are going to go all out towards contending again next year.

Reactions: SEALBound

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I would keep this year's pick. Why? It puts pressure on Sullivan next year. If the Pens open up next year and still look awful, then Dubas is going to have to fire him at that point or risk getting egg on his face by handing San Jose a high pick. The optics of keeping him at that point will look terrible, especially given that if they keep this year's pick they are going to go all out towards contending again next year.
If they aren't willing to speed up the rebuild, then this is the next best thing.

There's also an aspect of "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"

Reactions: Pancakes

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
It’ll be interesting to see what Dubas does. Keeping the pick obviously assumes he will make changes and expects improvement. Giving it up suggests they’re conceding next season as a wash and are planning a full-blown rebuild.

I think they keep the ‘24 pick.

Reactions: T1K

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
Do we have a deadline on when the decision has to be made? It obviously has to be after the lottery, but ...

72hrs after draft lottery is complete. Or rather "72hrs after we know our draft position".
Ok, so its not an automatic requirement to send a top 10 pick to the Sharks? If its 11 or higher it goes, but if its 10 or lower its the Pens choice?

The Pens have the ninth selection now and Its going to be hard to fall below 8 and real hard to fall to five. Hopefully they either win the draft or it automatically goes to SJS.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
If they bring back Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Karlsson, and head coach Mike Sullivan for next season then it's going to get a lot worse, as it's clear they are quadrupling down with what doesn't work. So. I'll take next year's pick. This team will be a lot closer to a bottom 3 team than a playoff team.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Ok, so its not an automatic requirement to send a top 10 pick to the Sharks? If its 11 or higher it goes, but if its 10 or lower its the Pens choice?

The Pens have the ninth selection now and Its going to be hard to fall below 8 and real hard to fall to five. Hopefully they either win the draft or it automatically goes to SJS.
Correct, 10OV or lower, it's our choice. If we keep it, an UNPROTECTED 1st in 2025 goes to SJS.

farscape1

Jun 22, 2010
Pittsburgh
My bet is the Penguins will keep this years 2024 1st round pick and then trade it for a former Toronto player. And both the 2024 and 2025(to Sharks) picks become really good players that the Penguins missed out on.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Take the pick for 2 reasons, Pens are drafting higher than since they traded Stahl for an 8th. F'n Shero blew that but still say a 8th or higher gets a good player in the system quicker and can maybe help the cause in 2026. Second it brings needed interest from the fan base after missing the playoffs and moving from all in to lets rebuld with younger players and have a future.

Reactions: Nakawick

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Take the pick for 2 reasons, Pens are drafting higher than since they traded Stahl for an 8th. F'n Shero blew that but still say a 8th or higher gets a good player in the system quicker and can maybe help the cause in 2026. Second it brings needed interest from the fan base after missing the playoffs and moving from all in to lets rebuld with younger players and have a future.
That sums up my thoughts exactly. They are planning to be better next year. Time will tell but you either take the pick or trade it for a good young center or winger that can play now.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
The first choice in the poll should say:

Keep 2024 first round pick (Top 10)

Because if it ends up 11+ it automatically goes to San Jose………..

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The thing is though, that outside of like 3 forwards, the best players at the top of this draft are D men and those guys will not play in the next couple years…basically taking a D man says “this player will not play for 4-6 years”…especially if Sullivan is still here lol…another reason I think they should give up the pick if they don’t get at least in the top five of this draft…

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The thing is though, that outside of like 3 forwards, the best players at the top of this draft are D men and those guys will not play in the next couple years…basically taking a D man says “this player will not play for 4-6 years”…especially if Sullivan is still here lol…another reason I think they should give up the pick if they don’t get at least in the top five of this draft…
As I stated before, I think this will be a draft where organizations look seriously at their organizational needs. Unless you get 1OV and automatically draft Celebrini, there are about five players that could go 2OV, depending on what an organization is looking for.

1OV = Celebrini, 100%

2nd OV, if you want...

High-end forward skill and are not particular about position - Demidov
All around high-end, future top pairing dman - Levshunov
Skilled forward but need physicality and size - Lindstrom
High-end forward but need a center - Catton or Helenius
Skilled dman with size and top pairing potential - Silayev

I don't know if there is a consensus on BPA at #2. I believe most have it as Demidov but again, there's five others that can go 2OV depending on what you need. This is why if we are drafting 7 or 8, I think I still keep it. Any one of those players at #7 is a steal.

And who we take, could also impact who we choose to move out. If you take Levshunov, who is a RD, you could easily look to move EK early. If you take Demidov, you can look to move Rakell. If you are getting Celebrini, you can restructure your top 6 and move Malkin to 3C or to the wing. If you take Silayev, you can send out Pettersson for a haul.

If Carolina gets to the SCF and we get 31/32, there's some interesting pieces around there too like Tanner Howe or Ilya Bryzgalov's son (another goalie).

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
As I stated before, I think this will be a draft where organizations look seriously at their organizational needs. Unless you get 1OV and automatically draft Celebrini, there are about five players that could go 2OV, depending on what an organization is looking for.

1OV = Celebrini, 100%

2nd OV, if you want...

High-end forward skill and are not particular about position - Demidov
All around high-end, future top pairing dman - Levshunov
Skilled forward but need physicality and size - Lindstrom
High-end forward but need a center - Catton or Helenius
Skilled dman with size and top pairing potential - Silayev

I don't know if there is a consensus on BPA at #2. I believe most have it as Demidov but again, there's five others that can go 2OV depending on what you need. This is why if we are drafting 7 or 8, I think I still keep it. Any one of those players at #7 is a steal.

And who we take, could also impact who we choose to move out. If you take Levshunov, who is a RD, you could easily look to move EK early. If you take Demidov, you can look to move Rakell. If you are getting Celebrini, you can restructure your top 6 and move Malkin to 3C or to the wing. If you take Silayev, you can send out Pettersson for a haul.

If Carolina gets to the SCF and we get 31/32, there's some interesting pieces around there too like Tanner Howe or Ilya Bryzgalov's son (another goalie).
Yeah but what I’m saying is there may only be two players who could start right away if they’re available (meaning coming from Russia)…it’s very rare for D men to start right away either…I don’t think anyone except Celebrini and Demidov would start right away or by the next season…it’s not that type of draft…the D men probably won’t even play while Sid is here depending on how long he plays..

Reactions: SEALBound

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Yeah but what I’m saying is there may only be two players who could start right away if they’re available (meaning coming from Russia)…it’s very rare for D men to start right away either…I don’t think anyone except Celebrini and Demidov would start right away or by the next season…it’s not that type of draft…the D men probably won’t even play while Sid is here depending on how long he plays..
I think Celebrini may be the only one who can make the jump. Even then, he's 17 so I could see another year in the NCAA.

Demidov is in the MHL and is under contract for another year.
Lindstrom could if capable.
I do think Luvshunov takes another year in the NCAA unless he blows away camp.
I think Catton could make it if he does well in camp but is likely to go back the WHL.
Helenius is under contract for another year
Silayev is under contract until 2026.

So yeah, like you said only a small number of players that could make the jump. I wouldn't bank on anyone (sans Cele) from this draft playing next year. I think the better route is to add Poulin, Yager, and Pono and see if there is a surprise at camp. Then see where we are at next year.

Reactions: Andy99

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I believe the Pens have to take advantage of this pick to take the RD with size and skill to eventually replace Letang as I expect Dubas to move Karlsson after next season. Dubas moving assets has to happen and with what they have and what they can add this year in the draft, at least the prospect pool is starting to take shape. I am thinking Dubas gets a second for Smith at the draft giving the Pens picks in the first and three picks in the second round. To me Rust and Karlsson can bring back number 1 picks for the 2025 draft so the rebuild takes shape. Even if Sid signs for 2 more years at say 10 million, Pens have 50 million in cap space to extend Petts, sign needed size and grit at forward. I think Sullivan will be gone one way or another after next year.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It's not that I think it's a lock that the Pens will be picking in the top-10 next season. It's that there's an extremely real possibility of it, and that pick would be unprotected, so if they happen to bomb again (with a full season minus Jake and Sid one year older, and Sully at the helm), and get lucky in the lotto, that's a huge f*** up.

If the pick's a top-5 this year, I think you have to keep it and pray Demidov drops to you. Even if he doesn't, it's still pretty impossible to pass up.

One way or another, SJ is getting a very good pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad