WC: 2024 Team USA

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Hopefully it's serious enough to actually need to miss the tournament as he's on the outside looking in for the Four Nations team without showing up here after his poor season.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Hopefully it's serious enough to actually need to miss the tournament as he's on the outside looking in for the Four Nations team without showing up here after his poor season.

Poor season is a pretty harsh call. I don't think last season is what you can expect from him every year.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Minor updates from The Athletic today, Hynes will likely be tapped as an assistant. And clarity on Boldy, Faber, Hartman expected this week:

"And this week, it’s expected that Guerin will meet with Brock Faber, Matt Boldy and perhaps Ryan Hartman to try to persuade them to go to Prague early next month.

Hynes thinks the World Championship is good for any player, this one especially because it could bubble players on the radar for the bigger tournaments coming up

“Guys can go in situations particularly if you didn’t make the playoffs to play in high-stakes games and play your best when it matters the most,” he said. “I think for guys to be able to do that and experience it, it is valuable and I think the competition is going to be strong and I bet you the teams are going to be very good. So, if these guys wind up deciding to go, I think they’re going to play on teams that have a chance to truly win at the World Championships. I think that’s really valuable.”"

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Poor season is a pretty harsh call. I don't think last season is what you can expect from him every year.

I'm not expecting him to be a 90+ point player every season, but his PPG dropped 35% from last season and 9% from the season before that. It was a poor season even if last season is likely an outlier. And if this season is a good season for him, he's not really a consideration for a best-of team anyway unless he shows up to things like the WC and earns his way into consideration through other means.

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Why the hell would he say he is coming prior to taking an MRI? This is the same dumb crap we get year in and out with some players. Tage has come before so I know he cares just why even say you plan on playing if it was dependent on an MRI? If you didn't know you were even hurt maybe the injury isn't that bad to begin with?? Lol

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Why the hell would he say he is coming prior to taking an MRI? This is the same dumb crap we get year in and out with some players. Tage has come before so I know he cares just why even say you plan on playing if it was dependent on an MRI? If you didn't know you were even hurt maybe the injury isn't that bad to begin with?? Lol

Because he got hurt after he said he was going.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We are probably too cynical by nature with how often these players have a minor niggle and then skip the Worlds. I am a little suspicious that Thompson wasn’t missing NHL games. Hughes missed NHL games and then literally had surgery.

I would probably have Thompson on the team next year either way, but this won’t help and it’s conceivable that this tournament is the impetus for someone else taking his spot.

Reactions: ORRFForever

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
We are probably too cynical by nature with how often these players have a minor niggle and then skip the Worlds. I am a little suspicious that Thompson wasn’t missing NHL games. Hughes missed NHL games and then literally had surgery.

I would probably have Thompson on the team next year either way, but this won’t help and it’s conceivable that this tournament is the impetus for someone else taking his spot.
It'd be naive to think NHL games and the World Championships should have equal precedence. He should heal up and be good to go for his team next season. Worst thing to do is aggravate and make something worse in what is, to put it bluntly, more or less exhibition.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

He missed the last two periods of their last game.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
This is what we get for thinking we'd get Tage not Tyce.

I think it's a bit odd Guerin waited until the season was over to talk to Boldy, Faber, and maybe Hartman. They've been eliminated from the playoffs long enough to not wait.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

Re : "I am a little suspicious that Thompson wasn’t missing NHL games."

I don't understand. Why would this make you suspicious?

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

The injury happened last night. Go take a look at our GDT yesterday. No one even knows how it happened. He went into the locker room middle of the period, was declared out the rest of the game and now apparently has some sort of LBI that would have rendered him out for the first series of the playoffs at least.

This isn't some phantom injury.

Reactions: Blueston

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

I think it's a bit odd Guerin waited until the season was over to talk to Boldy, Faber, and maybe Hartman. They've been eliminated from the playoffs long enough to not wait.
Yeah, that point was baffling to read. Like what has Guerin been doing, kicking rocks & whistling until they spark up a World Championships conversation??

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Re : "I am a little suspicious that Thompson wasn’t missing NHL games."

I don't understand. Why would this make you suspicious?
USA has a history of their best players not wanting to participate in this tournament. Saying you have a minor injury that you’d play through with your NHL team is something I’m sure has happened many times.

The injury happened last night. Go take a look at our GDT yesterday. No one even knows how it happened. He went into the locker room middle of the period, was declared out the rest of the game and now apparently has some sort of LBI that would have rendered him out for the first series of the playoffs at least.

This isn't some phantom injury.
I hope we find out more about what happened.

Reactions: ORRFForever

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
USA has a history of their best players not wanting to participate in this tournament. Saying you have a minor injury that you’d play through with your NHL team is something I’m sure has happened many times.

I hope we find out more about what happened.
I get it now. Thanks!

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Remember Kane once said “anytime they call I’ll go”?

Farabee and York would be good adds. Wouldn’t shock me if Farabee is dealing with something, and York has been run into the ground the last month because of Flyers D depth

Also fwiw - Ryan Poehling would be a great add as a 4th liner.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
DeBrincat, Kane, Lyon, Larkin, Gostisbehere, Compher...

Kaner is 13+29=42 (1.68 ppg) for team usa at WC
Brinksy is 8+10=18 (1.00 ppg) for team usa at WC
Larkin is 12+24=34 (0.80 ppg) for team usa at WC

would be huge for you, if all 3 would say yes

also Compher 3+3=6 (0.33 ppg) for team us at WC

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
If healthy it would absolutely shock me if Larkin doesn't come. He has shown up plenty before and for him, he possibly could be a bubble player depending on what some of the younger guys do next year. If Johnny Hockey is here, I imagine Larkin will as well.

Kane with his lengthy time off is very doubtful. Unless he feels like his season just got started and still wants more hockey...he would shock me if coming. Only based off the time he missed this year and type of surgery he had..his heart and love of the game and representing USA Hockey isn't the issue here imo...

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

I think that's just who Guerin is. He wants his players to focus on their next game, not about what they will be doing this summer. That being said, I think Boldy and Faber are virtual locks for the WC team.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Thompson is a loss but it might not be so bad if a guy like Larkin commits. Some other forwards I think will be in the mix (other than the names already rumored):

Boldy, Hartman, T. Johnson, Coleman, Beniers, Keller, Cooley, Schmaltz, Terry, Vatrano, Bordeleau, Kane, DeBrincat, Compher, Rust, O'Connor, Brink, Cates, Poehling, Dvorak, Gauthier, Brindley, and Nazar.

There's a very good team to be made on paper but we know how it can go south quickly with USA Hockey.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Here's one to be angry about -

Unless its for the birth of a child, injury or caring for a sick family member, Tuch better come up with a very good reason. "Wanting to rest up for next season" or "I have a family vacation planned" can't be one of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad