WC: 2024 Team USA

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Let's find new ways to be disappointed
Maybe we'll get a better turnout this year. Guerin said guys who may be on the bubble should be there if they want to make the team..

"I think it's important for guys to go," Guerin, the United States' general manager for both the 4 Nations Face-Off and Olympics, told The Athletic's Michael Russo. "Hey look, there's some guys that are going to be a lock for both teams. But there are going to be guys that are on the bubble. If they haven't played in the playoffs or meaningful games in a long time - or ever - I want to see how they perform.

"So, in that respect, I think the World Championships are extremely important."

Reactions: William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I agree. But my optimism for better turnout for the last 15 years has almost always been a fool's errand, too. Even if we don't get a huge jump in turnout from guys that are locks, I do think we'll get a better turnout (than normal) from the young stars and future stars who want to state a claim for consideration.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
It’s a good statement by Guerin for sure. And he’s lucky to have a couple tourneys to dangle in front of guys. Like you said, it won’t rock the world but changing mindsets takes time and hopefully this will be a step in the right direction.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
It speaks to the relationship between USAH and the WC that the message is being delivered by a former star player who could never be bothered to play in the WC himself. Guerin is sending the right message, and it's long overdue from USAH (partly because we haven't had a best-on-best hockey tournament in so long), but it is a bit funny coming from Guerin.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I agree. But my optimism for better turnout for the last 15 years has almost always been a fool's errand, too. Even if we don't get a huge jump in turnout from guys that are locks, I do think we'll get a better turnout (than normal) from the young stars and future stars who want to state a claim for consideration.
In addition to the Olympic carrot, Prague is also a much more desirable location to go spend a couple weeks than Tampere

Reactions: Goodman68

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
A stab at the team by the current playoff standings. I could’ve easily forgot someone.

Zegras-Hughes-Caufield
Gaudreau-Thompson-Boldy
deBrincat-Larkin-Kane
Tuch-Nelson-Beniers
Rust

Werenski-Jones
Sanderson-Faber
Hughes-Faulk
Vlasic

Gibson
Lyon
Wolf

krutais23

May 1, 2023
A stab at the team by the current playoff standings. I could’ve easily forgot someone.

Zegras-Hughes-Caufield
Gaudreau-Thompson-Boldy
deBrincat-Larkin-Kane
Tuch-Nelson-Beniers
Rust

Werenski-Jones
Sanderson-Faber
Hughes-Faulk
Vlasic

Gibson
Lyon
Wolf
add Keller, B Tkachuk and Daccord and youre good

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I would be surprised to see Tuch with how he's looked not himself for much of this season. There have been some comments about him being held together by duct tape by the Sabres color guy Rob Ray that might be serious.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

Zegras-Hughes-Caufield
Gaudreau-Thompson-Boldy
deBrincat-Larkin-Kane
Tuch-Nelson-Beniers
Rust

Werenski-Jones
Sanderson-Faber
Hughes-Faulk
Vlasic

Gibson
Lyon
Wolf
That's optimistic. I'd at least like to see a few bubble guys for the next best on best. Guys like Keller, Thompson, or Sanderson.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

Zegras-Hughes-Caufield
Gaudreau-Thompson-Boldy
deBrincat-Larkin-Kane
Tuch-Nelson-Beniers
Rust

Werenski-Jones
Sanderson-Faber
Hughes-Faulk
Vlasic

Gibson
Lyon
Wolf
Jack Hughes isn't healthy right now, doubt he'll play in the world championships

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I would be surprised to see Tuch with how he's looked not himself for much of this season. There have been some comments about him being held together by duct tape by the Sabres color guy Rob Ray that might be serious.

Too bad about his health. Would be interesting to see him play if USA selected his brother as well.

It'll be interesting to see which NCAA players get selected.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Was looking through the American players that played in Europe this season since USA Hockey sometimes adds one or two - particularly when the tournament is played there. Only ones having big years wear 35+ guys like defenseman Ryan Gunderson and former Coyote Peter Mueller and undersized forwards Steve Moses and Broc Little. Gunderson actually played for USA in the 2018 Olympics.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Was looking through the American players that played in Europe this season since USA Hockey sometimes adds one or two - particularly when the tournament is played there. Only ones having big years wear 35+ guys like defenseman Ryan Gunderson and former Coyote Peter Mueller and undersized forwards Steve Moses and Broc Little. Gunderson actually played for USA in the 2018 Olympics.

It's too bad we can't name Ryan Lasch 12 times.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Too bad about his health. Would be interesting to see him play if USA selected his brother as well.

It'll be interesting to see which NCAA players get selected.

It would be great if we got so many NHLers we didn't need to go the Europe/NCAA for guys. Will be curious if Guerin's messaging has an impact.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
As i wrote in the other thread,

Some options from the euroleagues are Ryan Gunderson, Matt Caito and Michael Kapla. all 3 of them is top ds in SHL and NLA

In NCAA there is many good options. Gabe Perreault, Will Smith, Collin Graf, Cutter Gauthier, Jackson Blake, Rutger McGroarty, Ryan Leonard, Gavin Brindley, Seamus Casey, Zeev Buium, Lane Hutson

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If we can’t fill out a full roster of NHL’ers, USA Hockey has to start figuring out what they are doing wrong.

Two best on best tournaments are coming up the next two years. How could you not get close to full participation from those who aren’t in the playoffs? If a guy has a legitimate injury or is out of contract, you get it, but everyone else should be playing.

All the other countries are able to get participation from their NHL’ers. Why can’t we?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
If we can’t fill out a full roster of NHL’ers, USA Hockey has to start figuring out what they are doing wrong.

Two best on best tournaments are coming up the next two years. How could you not get close to full participation from those who aren’t in the playoffs? If a guy has a legitimate injury or is out of contract, you get it, but everyone else should be playing.

All the other countries are able to get participation from their NHL’ers. Why can’t we?
Historically, the tournament is completely irrelevant in the United States. No media discussion, no sport zeitgeist energy, no historical successes to draw from, games played at early hours for American audiences. While much of that applies to Canada, they as a nation care about hockey and their national team a lot more, so they get a bit more in terms of focus/attention/audience interest. Add to that, playing in a Canada jersey is more "special" for them so they get more buy-in. Final big thing is they always have a good chance to win so it's more worth their time. Showing up just to get 4th doesn't seem appealing for American players, but perhaps if they won it even just once that could snowball into better participation which in turn leads to better results which in turn leads to better participation, etc.

They were a minute and a half from a USA-Canada Final last go around, against a team in Germany that even with poor attendance they should have beaten. Even if Canada smoked them in the final, just a USA-Canada final alone (played at around 1 pm Eastern time on a Sunday) I think would have brought some much needed attention which could have helped things. But I think the "best on best" carrot will help out a lot regardless.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
With St Louis out of the playoffs, the Blues have 3 (or 4) quality D men to offer the U.S.

Saad, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad